Route to becoming soldier in the Parachute Regiment.

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by Harry W, Sep 8, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello everyone,

I would like to know the route to becoming a paratrooper. What is the selection process and fitness requirments needed to pass to get into basic training? Also, what would happen if you failed selection or failed P Coy, would you join another infantry regiment?

Cheers and all the best,

Harry

2. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Hit the search button mate
    Theirs loads of threads on this

Or bob into the Army Careers office they'll sort you out.

3. As to "failing" that's not really included in the official vocab kit.

But seriously- it depends how badly you fail. You may be back squaded- moved back to a trainimg platoon coming up behind you to repeat part of the training including the bit you failed.
    You may be given the option of going to another (lesser) unit.
    Or if it's really bad you may be booted out all together- but I dont remember this happening often. Once they have a warm live body they like to hold onto them.

4. I agree with the above comments!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Just suck it in a try your hardest and never quit you want to be a para not a hat and treat your self to a corridor sesh

6. Cheers guys, yeah getting to P Coy is an achievment in its self and if I got that far I would be determined to pass

7. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

Don't tell the recruitment Sgt(Major) in answer to his question 'what would you do if your officers were approaching an ordered objective in a way that's gonna get you and your mates mullered' that you'd slot everyone but NCOs. It will get you given top marks for honesty and vetting but tasked corps rather than infantry; my tasking quickly became RSigs, the only wings Hermes has makes him swift of foot. Whatever faults the orifice corps has...General staff do like them...:geek:

8. Best crack on quick before they run out of aircraft.

But there's one trick they do play on selection. You tab for miles and even the young, fit chappies are knackered. They put you in a 4 tonner and take you back to barracks. A mile down the road, the truck 'breaks down' and they tell you that you'll have to tab back to barracks.

Anybody who says "ffs" is failed. I heard this from a P Coy survivor and one of 2 Para's finest. He posts on here.

I think the key is to just crack on and never show any signs whatsoever of giving up, or being pissed off.

(I should add that I'm not a Para Walt, or heard this 'in a bar' or have any claim to the Fally-type stuff)

• Like Like x 1
  9. What's up with flying Apaches, you can't be bored already?

10. They did that to us in Brecon- we had just tabbed off exercise from Dixies Corner to Cattle Grid (I know, it's not that far) and as we got closer to the trucks every one started to run when all of a sudden tons of smoke went off and the trucks were all "destroyed" and we had to keep tabbing. One guy was failed at this point for jacking it in.
    They didn't make us tab all the way back to the lines but we kept going for what IIRC seemed like another hour or so- but it was a long time ago now!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Learn to suck cock

12. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

That'll be 1er REP then...hahaha...Algeria '92?