Route 66 - Road Hogs Re-lived

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by Daytona955, Aug 19, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Nothing to do with trying to emulate the John Travolta film, a group of us 40 something bikers are planning to do Route 66 on Harleys next year.

Anyone done it before? Any advice (okay, I know Harleys are crap but it's part of the whole Route 66 thing and an R1 just wouldn't be the same)?
  2. I think there must be millions of people who have done it, google around a bit. There's package holidays for this sort of thing. I'd love to do it and I'm 40 something. Agree with the R1 thing.

The only advice I can give is 'stay on the road', 'don't deviate down the beaten track'. There are lots of Texas chainsaw type inbreds along 'the route'......
  3. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Heres a prez *Linky* and remember, they are our Cousins, not Septics or Invasion Addicted Burger Monkeys.

We've done the Flagstaff, Arizona - LA bit via Vegas. One of our best road trips ever. Random observations...

Allow about 25% more time than you think you need. You'll get sidetracked - Joshua Tree National Park, Death Valley, whatever. It can be done in a couple of weeks if you want though.

The Monte Vista hotel in Flagstaff makes Brighton Pride Day look straight. A tattoo parlour in the bar and no doors on the bogs. In fact, the whole of Flagstaff makes Brighton look straight.

Get a map that shows the original Route 66, not the version that goes on their horrible concrete freeways. On the old highways you can still travel for 2 hours and not see another car / bike.
  4. Agree with the Iron Duke. Did my one 2 years ago: can't wait to get the cash together to do it again.

Couple of points, though:

1. Which bit are you doing? The 'old' 66 starts in Chicago but even the Yanks cannot be sure exactly where.

2. If you're going from Santa Monica as I did don't get the hump if you see 'Route 66' signed and your still on (probably) I40: I40 is (mostly) the 'old' 66, as they changed the alignment some years ago.

3. Only made it to Texas as we ran out of time!!

4. Guess what? It sometimes rains in the desert.

5. Feckin' super trip. Do it. On a Harley. Sore ass. Doomed to suffer Vibration White Finger for the rest of your life. Bore people for years.
  5. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

And get into heated debates about it. Problem is, 66 was promoted as an all-weather, year-round trucking route between Chicago & LA. So the start - end point would differ if you were shipping meat or machine parts.

Also when the Freeway system rolled out, nobody saw the need to preserve 'Historic 66' because it was not historic then. When we were there there were a few Route 66 road signs and plans for more. But as a general rule, avoid Freeways and stick with the highways
  6. diplomat

diplomat War Hero Book Reviewer

I am also planning on doing Route 66 with three mates in May 2009 next year. When you planning on doing it. Am planning on a month for the whole trip
  7. Looking at Chicago as a starting point - 2 weeks maximum (8 days riding) and doing the trip in November next year.
  8. msr

msr LE

9. Must admit, I am thinking of doing something of this ilk.

Next summer you say......?