Rourkes Drift Anniversary

On the 22/23 Jan 1879 138 men lead by Lieutenant John Rousse Merriot Chard successfully defended the Rourkes Drift mission station against 4000 Zulus. Hurrah for the CRE!

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
there woz me an beeb , butltins and the Turk surrounded by 4,000 Zulus. So I gave that fateful last order ....

Take no prisoners ! chard lives on in 31AES sqn.

there woz me an beeb , butltins and the Turk surrounded by 4,000 Zulus. So I gave that fateful last order ....

Take no prisoners ! chard lives on in 31AES sqn.
Mr. sirbhp... be quiet now will you, there's a good gentleman, you'll upset the lads.
colourseargent.jpg

Not to forget the South Wales Borderers who did most of the work.

Remember the bit where Michael Caine points his sword at the leading Zulu, and shouts, "Fire at Will......"

Poor bloody Will, they never erected a monument to him.

Good Rourkes Drift weekend to all serving and ex 5 Sqn

With 31 Sqn, 5 Sqn and 23 Sqn all laying claim to Lt Chard being their's does anyone actually know the right answer?

With 31 Sqn, 5 Sqn and 23 Sqn all laying claim to Lt Chard being their's does anyone actually know the right answer?
I have never known anyone claim him for 23. I was always led to believe both 5 & 31 have a claim on him but he was 5 at the time (I have know proof though). Dirty 30 also have an affiliation to the Zulu wars I believe

I have never known anyone claim him for 23. I was always led to believe both 5 & 31 have a claim on him but he was 5 at the time (I have know proof though). Dirty 30 also have an affiliation to the Zulu wars I believe
When I was Chief Clerk of 23 Sqn (95 - 98) the then SSM (N**l F****s) got some of the NCOs to produce a History of Rorke's Drift and Lt Chard while we were the RES in the Maze. A lot was made of his involvement with 23 Sqn.

As an ex-Infanteer I wouldn't have a clue anyway so I just took it as read.