'roundabout' accident - should it be reported to the police?

Discussion in 'Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs' started by Excognito, Apr 19, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The picture below shows an interesting 'roundabout', some of you may even recognize it. There is a dual-carriageway running roughly vertically on the picture, traffic on the left moving up and traffic on the right moving down (although that should be obvious). Call the 'up' direction 'north'

Traffic wishing to cross over the dual carriageway from the side road marked 'A' to the side road marked 'B', must join the north-bound carriageway at 'A', drive a 100 yds up the dual-carriageway, turn right into a short section crossing the central reservation, then turn onto the south-bound carriageway for 30 yds before turning off to their left.

It's not technically a roundabout, although it would certainly seem like one to traffic approaching from any of the 3 roads at the bottom of the picture. Right of way, as indicated by road markings, is given to traffic going down from 'B' and traveling clockwise to go back up the dual-carriageway.

Now to the accident.

Driver A follows the blue line and waits at the junction where the red and blue lines meet. Driver A looks left, waiting for a gap in the busy traffic to join the down-bound carriageway. A gap appears, Driver A checks there is no traffic joining from the building across from the junction (rhs of picture) and pulls out. Driver A then senses something moving from his right, hits the brakes but not quick enough to avoid a car approaching from the right, that is, from the wrong direction for the carriageway.

Driver B, unfamiliar with the area and using satnav for guidance, wishes to go North. The trees that can be seen filling the 'roundabout' obscure the other carriageway and it is easy to misinterpret the road section as a single carriageway. On arriving at the junction, the satnav enunciates 'turn right', so Driver B does so. Driver B then accelerates and belatedly realizes his error when Driver A hits him from the side and he works out that the approaching cars in the right-hand lane of the south-bound carriageway aren't just overtaking.

Car A comes to an immediate halt. Car B swerves across the carriageway to the right then back to the left, before sliding onto the central reservation and skidding a further 30 yds along the grass (purple line).

Car A is little affected (minor bumper damage) whilst Car B has considerable damage to the passenger side.

Both drivers appear to be uninjured, although Driver B is suffering from slight shock. Driver A, who has a pre-existing neck injury, develops some whiplash-like symptoms as the day progresses.

There are about 10 witnesses to the accident (cars traveling south), none of whom stop. A passing fire engine (not a witness) does stop and check if assistance is needed.

A few questions:

1. To what extent is Driver A culpable for the accident?

2. Should the accident be reported to the Police:
    a. regardless of any symptoms Driver A may later develop?
    b. after Driver A developed symptoms.

3. Are witnessing drivers under any obligation (legal or moral) to stop, and at least check both parties were uninjured?

arrse 18 Apr 12 01.jpg

2. Umm. Now that you mention it, a quick look at Google Maps street view shows that there is indeed one of those, plus a long strip of B&W arrows and "No Entry" written in big white letters on the road to the right of B's junction. Oops. In possible mitigation, however, the weather was bad (heavy rain) and spray + wipers may have made them difficult to see.

3. Damage only collision - Exchange details, let the insurers argue about it. Any injury, exchange details and report to the police within 24 hrs at the absolute latest.

4. What he said.

5. Judging from the lines on the sketch, both drivers were driving erratically long before the collision.

How come driver B didn't notice all the oncoming cars flashing their headlights at him as he travelled the wrong way along the dual carriageway? There must have been one or two, given that Driver A had to wait for a gap in the traffic.

6. Fixed that for you old boy. No charge.

7. Possibly, it could have been slithering on the wet roads, driving at high speed between the relatively stationary traffic or wot seegull sez. Alternatively, it could be that Artist (and I use the word loosely) C can't draw for toffee.

What flashing headlights? The Great British Driver doesn't notice things like that until after the accident! Driver B might have thought "What's that prat flashing his lights for ... he shouldn't be overtaking in these conditions and with a car coming in the opposite direction". Presumably Drivers A and B were taking advantage of the same gap.

8. So which driver where you? My moneys on driver B :)

9. An insurance company always asks "Did you report this to the Police". Without a Police reference things get difficult if there are any injuries or, as in this case, blatant "Driving without due care and attention".

I would have been straight on the phone to the coppers and got them to the scene. The fact someone was driving the wrong way suggests at very least a breath test was perhaps wise.

10. Was wondering about that "don't need to report to police" thing as it seems a bit niave in todays no win no fee climate.

Unless you are at fault why not call the cops out and get some official paperwork on the accident as I am sure if it gets to an argument on who is to blame then this would work in your favour?

11. Near Worthy Down?

12. That is the Junction for Stubbington/Fareham, I live there and I can say that unless driver B is a total fuckwitt then I cannot see how they would have gotten into that situation! It is a straight forward junction that many people navigate safely without incident every day.

13. I would say that Driver A is not at blame for this accident although a cursory look right is always advised when negotiating this type of junction. Driver B on the other hand is bang to rights as I am sure there is a no right turn and or no entry signs to show that drivers should not turn right onto the oncoming traffic.

14. I see what you mean, and it is very similar indeed - complete to the shielding trees - but it's not.

... there's the possibility of an entertaining thread here - "Identify that Junction!" :grin:

15. Negatory.