rough landing!

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by datumhead, May 5, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Heavy landing?

We must have been watching different clips.

Can't see a problem with the one I saw. :roll:
  2. Well I would have said that the tailscrape, bounce and then dropping it in on the nose gear was sub optimal but perhaps that's why they only let you land at zero ground speed ;)

See my edited post above and also this link:

suggests that BAe 146 and London City Airport have a bit of a love/hate relationship!
  3. It just goes to show the strength of the 146 to have only superficial damage after that 'arrival'. Lesser aircraft would have converted themselves to kit form at a lower rate of decent.

Whats wrong with landing at zero ground speed?

Far better to stop then land than land then try to stop. Bloody dangerous that is.
  4. Agreed! One of Hatfield's finest. If they'd built a version with two engines instead of four we'd still have a civil aircraft industry.

Well it's not very flash is it? ;)

5. It is if you land it from a back-flip. ;)
  6. I'd ask to see the video but I'm afraid you'd go out tomorrow and feck up the demonstration flight. Anyway, how do you back flip a desk? Do you have to get permission from Chilwell ATC? :thumleft:

7. Poke it shitlips.

I'm lucky enough to be not flying a desk. Still get between 15 and 30 hours a month. :D
  8. Happy landings! Do drop by! :D
  9. I'm told that any landing you walk away from is a good one, so on that basis am inclined to agree with Flash, does look exciting though, wonder what the passengers felt/thought? assuming there were any on board.

(I was also told that the sky is perfectly safe, its the edges that are dangerous)

I haven't got as far as landing yet though so what do I know?
  10. [quote="The-Lord-Flasheart]Still get between 15 and 30 hours a month.:D[/quote]

Sharp-pencilling git. :D
  11. If you'd been in the back of a Mk9 while Cloudbuster landed you'd think that 146 touch down was a stroll in the park...

I've seen Spitfires in the Battle of Britain move nose dive into the sea in a smoother and more controlled fashion :D
  12. Hey, they're called 'positive' landings, using sub-min pitch. After all, you wouldn't want to fall off the back of a war-canoe, would you? The wheelie-bin's spongy ex-Whirlwind oleos made the delicate task of finding terra firma quite a feat.

It also confirms to the pax the fact that we've arrived.
  13. so how old are you. if you had seen the battle of britain