Builds Rotten Corpse in shallow grave Diorama

when you're in the mood to make something, no matter how unusual or even Bizarre, don't stop, go ahead and let your creative genius out of the bottle and onto the modelling workbench. (PFgen does it all the time, and takes ages cleaning up after)
Well my friend was retiring and she has this little dog that gets in everywhere, so a leaving present diorama including her dog Bayley was on the cards

I had a mess of an Airfix Skeleton, my father in law had made into puppet, he was too tight to buy a Pelham Puppet, so I was left with a mess of string and bones, plastic bones, found in the loft.

the first thing about found skeletons is that the Brest bone is made of Cartledge, so rots away leaving the ribs to collapse.

so I cut off all the ribs and placed them in the same order but collapsed.

I mixed mud, real garden mud, with white glue making it into a hardening paste, seated the skeleton in the mud with the knees slightly bent, as per all the archaeology photos I'd seen on the internet

the mud dries and accepts paint, so nearly matching the bones to the mud tone to blend them in using an airbrush.

then built up more mud around the edges of the shallow grave to blend it all in to make it look part uncovered by animals, in reality they'd have made off with bits of bone, but hey, artistic licence needed here.

then the dog, making off with a rib, made from modelling clay

and a box of Forensic expert items, scratch built from platicard

dog in position using wire

plants and grass to make it all look real

the forensic box painted black

trial fit of the glass case before the final detail touches

finally, model completed with all the little details, like the jelly babies (She was always handing them out at work) the scene tape and forensic kit.

glass dome fixed down to seal it all in.

on the day of her retirement party down the pub, she and everyone else was delighted with it.

I had a chuckle reading this, it reminds me of the mass graves in Bosnia/Kosovo during the early 90's and 2000's.

A bit morbid but funny non the less.

DAS

Old-Salt
Gold watches no longer the popular choice then?

Great work, especially the dog.

That’s based on one of the photo’s used to make a montage for the titles of the BBC epic series The Great War isn’t it?
I always found the music matched with that rostrum camera work, moving around that montage, a singularly melancholy couple of minutes.
Nice model but not the most cheerful thing I’ve ever seen.
Yes just watched the opening sequence of the Great war, it starts with a Allied Soldier bowing his head, then the camera drops down, seemingly to the depths of the earth, and the rotten corpse of an unknown German or Allied soldier at the bottom of a trench, his right leg has gone and his right arm, his left hand has been thrown over the side of his face. The modeller of the picture above has made a ham fisted attempt to reproduce it. The skull and the bones of the right hand next to the title plate are all wrong. If you are going to do a model of a real dead soldier, I think you should at least pay some respect and get it correct.

Yes just watched the opening sequence of the Great war, it starts with a Allied Soldier bowing his head, then the camera drops down, seemingly to the depths of the earth, and the rotten corpse of an unknown German or Allied soldier at the bottom of a trench <snip>
Yes, the sequence ends with the camera panning left to settle on the face of an allied soldier who stares straight down the barrel of the lens. Maybe I read too much into his blank expression but I always thought it an accusatory stare- shaming those of us sitting comfortably at home with the squalor and death in which he finds himself.
Of course when I first saw that series, I didn’t realise the titles were made up of several pictures (although it seems obvious now). If you see that last photograph in its entirety, that chap is flanked by smiling comrades.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
re-stilly Current Affairs, News and Analysis 71
CrashTestDummy The NAAFI Bar 250
I_shat_in_Erics_boots REME 78