Rotor Cuff Tendonitis /Shoulder Impingement syndrome

The other day i was doing a work out [press ups] and my right shoulder just basically collapsed ,i had a problem with my left shoulder around a year ago but it was never enough to impede my training or work ,but this one feels very differant.Yes i've been on the web and i have read various links.

I do a work out most evenings that consist of among other things lots of press ups i probable do around two thousand a week,this of course is no-doubt the reason for my injury,i have tried massage and cold ice theropy it seems to have worked slightly but it is still sore and pressups are out of the question.I'm aiming to be back to normal next week as i'm a keep fit nut and the thought of missing a training session makes come out in a cold sweat not to mention losing my muscle mass and fitness,it takes an awfull lot to put me off my routine in the past i've trained with a suspected heart attack [that turned out to be a pulled pec] ,a slipped disk ,a ripped hamstring and torn bicep and neck muscles'

i hate that feeling of feeling like a wounded wilderbeast on the plains of the serangetii

Has anyone else had this how long was your recovery ?

it takes an awfull lot to put me off my routine in the past i've trained with a suspected heart attack [that turned out to be a pulled pec] ,a slipped disk ,a ripped hamstring and torn bicep and neck muscles'.........

.....Has anyone else had this how long was your recovery ?

Pain is nature's way of telling you to stop doing whatever it is your doing. Ignore the pain and eventually an injury will be serious enough to stop you training permanently.

The other day i was doing a work out [press ups] and my right shoulder just basically collapsed ,i had a problem with my left shoulder around a year ago but it was never enough to impede my training or work ,but this one feels very differant.Yes i've been on the web and i have read various links.

I do a work out most evenings that consist of among other things lots of press ups i probable do around two thousand a week,this of course is no-doubt the reason for my injury,i have tried massage and cold ice theropy it seems to have worked slightly but it is still sore and pressups are out of the question.I'm aiming to be back to normal next week as i'm a keep fit nut and the thought of missing a training session makes come out in a cold sweat not to mention losing my muscle mass and fitness,it takes an awfull lot to put me off my routine in the past i've trained with a suspected heart attack [that turned out to be a pulled pec] ,a slipped disk ,a ripped hamstring and torn bicep and neck muscles'

i hate that feeling of feeling like a wounded wilderbeast on the plains of the serangetii

Has anyone else had this how long was your recovery ?
Never had that injury myself, but its quite common in lifters. Do you do a proper warm up before exercising?
I'd suggest that you see a physio buddy. As they can suggest some exercises for you. My understanding is that it is caused by a muscle imbalance.
You will probably have to change your lifting routine - if indeed that is the cause.

M

MotorBoat

Do you ever take any rest days? You're body needs time to recover. Known plenty of guys f***ing themselves right up by not giving their body the chance to rebuild.

P.S addiction to fitness can be really bad for you...

Never had that injury myself, but its quite common in lifters. Do you do a proper warm up before exercising?
I'd suggest that you see a physio buddy. As they can suggest some exercises for you. My understanding is that it is caused by a muscle imbalance.
You will probably have to change your lifting routine - if indeed that is the cause.

yes i always warm up and stretch and i do always have one day off a week but i havent really had a proper rest for years and you might be right about muscle imbalance my right side looks a lot differant from my left side,..

Spider38 i assume you have had a definitive diagnosis from a healthcare professional.

yes i always warm up and stretch and i do always have one day off a week but i havent really had a proper rest for years and you might be right about muscle imbalance my right side looks a lot differant from my left side,..
Well you've probably answered your own question then mate. You've nothing to loose by seeing a sports specific physio. But I believe that he will say that its a muscle imbalance injury. Which will mean that you'll have to cut the weight that you lift, and concentrate on building muscular strength endurance. Before you return to strength training.

M

MotorBoat

Spider38 i assume you have had a definitive diagnosis from a healthcare professional.

Indeed, I should point out that I'm not a healthcare professional. I'm only promoting the above vid as I've seen people improve shoulder stability as such

Mate, you need more rest than that. Your body must be crying for some rest...

article-0-2016A63F00000578-962_634x404[1].jpg
i wonder if Paddy has ever had these symptons,http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...lds-63-Guinness-records-endurance-sports.html

You've nothing to loose by seeing a sports specific physio. .

I'd suggest an Osteopath. Issues usually stem from the skeletal frame being 'pulled' out of alignment / symmetry, usually due to an over abundance of reps on your favourite exercise. Lets assume as well, a good measure of poor technique in an attempt to get to the high number.
The Osteopath will review your mobility/flexibility through a range of full body movement. That's usually a good combat indicator, before concentrating on the site specific issue.

BaldBaBoon

War Hero
Whatever advice people are giving you here, if its not going to cause any more damage...give it a go.

I had a very similar injury back in late 2008 where I was on a motorcycle expedition and came off the bike, landing on my left shoulder. Unable to get it seen to by a professional for weeks, one of the the tendons across the shoulder completely severed one night when i tripped over ( pissed up ) with an almighty wet crack.

It left my upper body at about 30% strength for six months, and even now I would guestimate I am still 40% ( compared to before ) at least weaker...but heres the weird thing, it is my uninjured side that is now weaker, caused by all the extra and mechanically awkward workload it has had to take.

mullers

Old-Salt
Had the same problem. Rest and Physio for rehab is really the only answer. I now do lots of mobility work on my shoulders even if I am not doing any phys that day. Helps a lot and now I am nearly pain free. They may offer a cortisol injection, don't take it as that only masks the problem.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

If it is impingement syndrome it is about the way your body is built. I doubt it is though, based on your described symptoms, and my own sustained suffering through impingement....

T

Tinman74

I'd suggest an Osteopath. Issues usually stem from the skeletal frame being 'pulled' out of alignment / symmetry, usually due to an over abundance of reps on your favourite exercise. Lets assume as well, a good measure of poor technique in an attempt to get to the high number.
The Osteopath will review your mobility/flexibility through a range of full body movement. That's usually a good combat indicator, before concentrating on the site specific issue.

My best and worst friend is one, she relishes putting me back together.

All the while I'm thinking why the hell did I not marry her instead. Bit that's for a different thread!

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

If it is impingement syndrome it is about the way your body is built. I doubt it is though, based on your described symptoms, and my own sustained suffering through impingement....

some good comment here thanks,it has now been two weeks since i damaged it but it is much better than it was i still have pain but i have a full range of movement...

instead of my usual ex routine i just did cardio however today i attempted press ups and only managed to do them in sets of tens [i used to do two hundred flat out] very demoralising but i have stayed positive which has helped,so i dont think its as bad as i intially thought i believe its a strain,sprain or torn ligerment....

ATG what are your impingment symptoms?

Last edited:
Loss of sensation/pins and needles down the outside of my arms when I raise them above horizontal. Inability to sleep on the affected shoulder. Pain in the joint when I place my forearm across the small of my back.