Rotherham child abuse scandal: 1,400 kids exploited

No thread on this then?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-28939089

At least 1,400 children were subjected to appalling sexual exploitation in Rotherham between 1997 and 2013, a report has found.

Children as young as 11 were raped by multiple perpetrators, abducted, trafficked to other cities in England, beaten and intimidated, it said.

The report, commissioned by Rotherham Borough Council, revealed there had been three previous inquiries.

Council leader Roger Stone said he would step down with immediate effect.

Mr Stone, who has been the leader since 2003, said: "I believe it is only right that as leader I take responsibility for the historic failings described so clearly."

The inquiry team noted fears among council staff of being labelled "racist" if they focused on victims' descriptions of the majority of abusers as "Asian" men.

The inquiry team found examples of "children who had been doused in petrol and threatened with being set alight, threatened with guns, made to witness brutally violent rapes and threatened they would be next if they told anyone".

The report found: "Several staff described their nervousness about identifying the ethnic origins of perpetrators for fear of being thought as racist; others remembered clear direction from their managers not to do so."

Sh*t is about to hit the fan.

It appears that local government did not take appropriate action due to concern about being perceived as racist.

I would comment further but mods might have the same concerns.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

3,000?

No it's not. If they spend as much on this enquiry as they have done on Saville/yew tree I'd be fecking gobsmacked.
It's not about the money, it's about the inevitable knock on effect this will have for certain minorities in the UK.

Who else knew about it and why was it not reported I wonder?

I think jail is too good for scum like this.
Regardless of race,creed or colour I would not waste the Tax Payers money on these animals I would simply shoot the ******* by firing squad(target practice saves on Fig 11's Paste and Squares) and feed the remains to the animals in the Zoos across Britain.
They have no place or use within society and I believe there is no cure for their fucked up ways.
I don't mean to be offensive I just feel this problem could be eradicated very quickly with a far more robust approach.
Perhaps ex servicemen could do it on on a rota basis?
If so put my name in the hat and give me an SLR..Should do the job nicely ;)
Gas setting zero no stoppages.

...and relax:meditate:

ehwhat

Old-Salt
Book Reviewer
The report makes for some chilling reading. The failures weren't only due to the issue of the race of the perpetrators and the lack of spine by the authorities involved, but highlights several other problems. Two recurrent issues that are found in numerous UK CSE cases, not just this one, are the failure to listen or take children seriously and the very common blaming of the victim for the abuse. I would suggest that these more than the race issues were the deciding factor. The children were groomed exceptionally well and when questioned would have given the impression of consent or even initiation of contact. This would have made it easy for investigators unschooled, uninterested or complacent to right the situation off. That said, the failure to connect the dots for so many years demonstrates a level of incompetence that is truly breathtaking.

The report makes for some chilling reading. The failures weren't only due to the issue of the race of the perpetrators and the lack of spine by the authorities involved, but highlights several other problems. Two recurrent issues that are found in numerous UK CSE cases, not just this one, are the failure to listen or take children seriously and the very common blaming of the victim for the abuse. I would suggest that these more than the race issues were the deciding factor. The children were groomed exceptionally well and when questioned would have given the impression of consent or even initiation of contact. This would have made it easy for investigators unschooled, uninterested or complacent to right the situation off. That said, the failure to connect the dots for so many years demonstrates a level of incompetence that is truly breathtaking.
I very much agree with most of what you say. I would, however, say that the issues I have highlighted should not be a factor considered. These girls were under the age of consent and even if the child initiated contact or said she consented it is still rape as the child is too young to give consent.

ehwhat

Old-Salt
Book Reviewer
I very much agree with most of what you say. I would, however, say that the issues I have highlighted should not be a factor considered. These girls were under the age of consent and even if the child initiated contact or said she consented it is still rape as the child is too young to give consent.
This is precisely my point. Under no circumstances should this have been a factor. Nonetheless, the report's author highlights these as some of the more important factors she uncovered for the appalling lack of professional conduct by those at the most senior level of the investigations.

People appear to wish to focus on the perpetrators race as the primary reason for the failure. This is a convenient fiction with little basis in reality. What actually happened was a systemic failure derived from gross misconceptions of what was actually going on that had little to nothing to do with race.

Pedophile groomers can be very persuasive in manipulating their victims and making them think that they are actually the reason that the abuse happens. When testimony is taken the investigator must be able to cut through this smoke screen and collect the information necessary for the CPS. This apparently did happen numerous times, but was discounted or set aside by senior level. This wasn't a matter of race but dereliction of duty and failure in care. Bluntly these senior individuals should be bereft or at least reduced in pension or current rank and publicly shamed.

People appear to wish to focus on the perpetrators race as the primary reason for the failure. This is a convenient fiction with little basis in reality. What actually happened was a systemic failure derived from gross misconceptions of what was actually going on that had little to nothing to do with race.
Its a very delicate topic all round, but I cannot let that statement stand without comment.

Whilst it is true that the failure of the social services existed irrespective of the perpetrators race (and I believe religion plays as great a part as racial background in this case), there exists the undeniable fact that had the perpetrator not committed the crime the social services failure would not have existed.

Rather then fix the clean up of the problem, we need to concentrate upon the problem and those causing it. An analogy would be saying that doctors are not doing enough to cure lung cancer caused by smoking, and saying that cigarette manufacturers were not the problem.

The sooner the real cause of this tragedy is openly discussed the better.

ehwhat

Old-Salt
Book Reviewer
CSE cases have a very poor investigative track record in the UK. The core failures are not tied to religion or race.

So, I'm all ears as to the real cause of the tragedy.

CSE cases have a very poor investigative track record in the UK. The core failures are not tied to religion or race.

Again, the failure of CSE to investigate incidents is nothing to do with religion or race.

The incidents that they failed to investigate ARE connected to religion and race.

Are you saying the tragedy is the failure of a government department, or is it the sexual abuse of 14000 children?

Its a very delicate topic all round, but I cannot let that statement stand without comment.

Whilst it is true that the failure of the social services existed irrespective of the perpetrators race (and I believe religion plays as great a part as racial background in this case), there exists the undeniable fact that had the perpetrator not committed the crime the social services failure would not have existed.

Rather then fix the clean up of the problem, we need to concentrate upon the problem and those causing it. An analogy would be saying that doctors are not doing enough to cure lung cancer caused by smoking, and saying that cigarette manufacturers were not the problem.

The sooner the real cause of this tragedy is openly discussed the better.

Good luck with that.

I fear the real cause may have something to do with certain communities living by their own rules.

It's not about the money, it's about the inevitable knock on effect this will have for certain minorities in the UK.

Who else knew about it and why was it not reported I wonder?
Knock on effect? There will be none, see below for reason.

Who else knew/why was it not reported? Well, it's been splattered over the press for years, so unless you are talking about the imbeciles who tried, and failed, to cover the whole thing up then it WAS known, and it WAS reported repeatedly. And that's why there will be no "knock on effect" as there hasn't been one in the years that such grooming rings involving mainly British Muslims of Pakistani Origin has been openly referred to in the British press.

Now, my view is simple. Those involved in the attempted cover up should be jailed for a long time due to their complicity in such an act. The victims should now be getting the legals in to sue the ass off of those involved in the attempted covering up, not the councils and police as a whole but the individuals involved.

The perpetrators should be hung, drawn, quartered and then shot. Any and all assets should be distributed amongst the victims.

Fairly simple - nobody in authority gave a tuppeny damn about these girls. They were 'underclass' or 'chavscum'; social detritus, a charge on the rates and taxes and generally a nuisance. They were voiceless and powerless.

Imagine what would happen if a paedophile gang of whatever ethnicity or religion targeted the schools attended by daughters of managers, businessmen and journalists. Compare that to what happened here.

Unfashionable as it is to say so, this is a class issue.

Fairly simple - nobody in authority gave a tuppeny damn about these girls. They were 'underclass' or 'chavscum'; social detritus, a charge on the rates and taxes and generally a nuisance. They were voiceless and powerless.

Imagine what would happen if a paedophile gang of whatever ethnicity or religion targeted the schools attended by daughters of managers, businessmen and journalists. Compare that to what happened here.

Unfashionable as it is to say so, this is a class issue.
...and a race issue, race should be allowed to be an issue, to pretend otherwise will end in bloodshed and a pogrom. The perpetrators, yet again, were all asian men (and why do they no longer say Pakistani, Bangladeshi or Indian), the victims were all white caucasian Brits. When one race targets another that's racism, racism we are told, in whatever form, needs to be tackled wherever it occurs. Should I hold my breath.....?

...and a race issue, race should be allowed to be an issue, to pretend otherwise will end in bloodshed and a pogrom. The perpetrators, yet again, were all asian men (and why do they no longer say Pakistani, Bangladeshi or Indian), the victims were all white caucasian Brits. When one race targets another that's racism, racism we are told, in whatever form, needs to be tackled wherever it occurs. Should I hold my breath.....?
IMO that was a subsidiary issue - Russians are taking over the sex trade in London, is that a race issue or just the classic way in which organised crime uses ethnic, geographical and familial connections to carry out its business and keep investigators at bay? Does the existence of the Mafia mean that Italians are culturally or genetically inclined to traffic drugs? Sure there were lots of Muslims involved in these sex crimes, but it could just as easily have been Irishmen or white Mancunians, the reaction (or inaction) of the authorities would have been the same.

IMO that was a subsidiary issue - Russians are taking over the sex trade in London, is that a race issue or just the classic way in which organised crime uses ethnic, geographical and familial connections to carry out its business and keep investigators at bay? Does the existence of the Mafia mean that Italians are culturally or genetically inclined to traffic drugs? Sure there were lots of Muslims involved in these sex crimes, but it could just as easily have been Irishmen or white Mancunians, the reaction (or inaction) of the authorities would have been the same.
They, Rotheram civic officials, didn't want to appear racist and so didn't act, I suspect mancunians or Irishmen would have had their hats nailed on at a very early stage!

Race and class
White slags = easy meat:mad:
The authorties didnt want to be seen as racist tell one unfunny joke = end of career.
Going to your manager saying theres this asian group of nonces targeting white girls :frustrated:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C The NAAFI Bar 2824
samain11 The NAAFI Bar 1
pandaplodder ACF 20