ROTC expansion

Discussion in 'US' started by DavidBOC, Mar 26, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. May not interest many of the British people but might be of interest to the septic members.

As you no doubt know many universities dropped ROTC during the 1970's for political reasons. In many cases the tenured faculty are "children of the 70's" and have opposed the reintroduction of ROTC, shifting opposition to the grounds of DADT. Some of these schools have now started to reintroduce the program, giving their students the right to participate.

I saw this in the Harvard Gazette this week and thought it might be of interest.

Harvard formally recognizes Army SROTC | Harvard Gazette

The President of Harvard, Dr Drew Gilpin Faust is a supporter of the military and a historian who has studied the impact of war on society in her research.

If interested in the US Civil War you might want to check out a story linked from the page cited above:

Blue, gray, and Crimson | Harvard Gazette

One little known fact about Harvard is that it ranks third for alumni who have received the Medal of Honor (after West Point and Annapolis). The main chapel on Harvard's Campus is Memorial Church, a memorial to Harvard's fallen alumni (and alumnae). About 2 years ago they unveiled a plaque in Memorial Church listing the Medal of Honor recipients and the then Chief of Staff of the Army, General George Casey jr. was invited to unveil it.
  2. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

There was an ROTC cadet with the USARNG unit I did an exchange with. I gained a very favourable impression of the program from that limited exposure.

This would appear to be good news for the US Armed Forces, the colleges and the students.

If only we could root out the Giardianesta element from academia in this country.
  3. In the US it is primarily the Vietnam War era people. I am that generation and most will be retirement age soon. Perhaps they can retire, stay home, write snotty letters to the NY Times and wash their tofu on a daily basis.

edited to add: I should note that the General Casey mentioned above was an ROTC graduate of Georgetown University who was commissioned about a month before his dad Major General Casey was killed in Vetnam.