Rotary rocket powered fuze removing bomb disposal wotsits.

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by EX_STAB, Jun 5, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Go on, you know what I mean. Anyone have a video of one in use? I reckon they must be pretty spectacular.

2. You mean the "python". Have you tried youtube?

3. If you're talking about mine clearance obviously, otherwise I've no idea what you mean, sorry.

4. Am I right in thinking you mean the trusty, dependable rocket wrench? Sort of a cartridge powered catherine wheel type affair that clamps onto the fuse? They're less impressive than you might think- unless they fail to do their job properly in which case BOOM! Now THAT's impressive.

Incidentally, they have white arrows painted on them to indicate the direction of rotation when fitted to the fuse. Ask a RE EOD type bloke why sometime.

5. That's the bunny!

Now I know what it's called I've found a picture. Not found a video yet though.

[​IMG]

6. I know the thing you're on about, it's a rocket powered, whizzy-roundy fuze extractor. Basically unscrews the fuze from a bomb so quickly it doesn't have a chance to react. Been in service since before the Falklands. Didn't they use it on some of the ships that were hit? Ardent or Antelope possibly.

7. Very funny when put on the wrong way round!!

8. On 23 May 1982, Staff Segeant James Prescott RE was killed and WO2 (later Capt) John Phillips RE was seriously injured in HMS Antelope while attempting to use a rocket wrench to remove a fuze from a 1,000 lb British-made bomb dropped by the Agentineans. Both were from 49 EOD Sqn RE. Prescott was awarded the CGM posthumously and Phillips was awarded the DSC (a naval decoration). Antelope burned fiercely all night and sank the following day. Subsequently, bombs were removed from ships without tampering with their fuzes. More about the battle against the bombs here.

9. It must have a heck of an initial ignition to start the thread on a rusted-in fuze; do they ever just spin the whole bomb?! Must also be amusing if both charges fail to ignite simultaneously....

10. The wrench is intended to start rotating so quickly and so fast (c. 3,000 RPM) that it removes the fuze before the striker or other firing device has time to operate. Since both rockets propel the wrench in the same direction, it doesn't make much difference if they don't ignite simultaneously, unlike blowing a rocket booster motor where one end ignites before the other. Now, that can be spectacular!

The Germans started off with a remote fuze-removal gadget called the 'Marine Turingerat' (Marine Turbine Device) designed by their Navy. This involved pouring black powder into the head of a cylinder clamped to the fuze. The powder charge was ignited electrically from a safe distance and the resulting hot gases were expelled through angled vents. However, their 'Raketen Gerat' (Rocket Device), based on a French design, proved cheaper and more effective and it was on this that the British (and US) rocket wrenches were based.

Next week: The wonderfully eccentic 20th Earl of Suffolk & Berkshire and his ground-breaking bomb disposal inventions.

11. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

I have used them when I was on RAF EOD back in the late 80's.
    It's not a rocket as such but de-bulleted .5 round that,if memory serves,forces the hot gases thru a venturi on firing.Takes about 3 seconds for the fuse to spin out but you have to be sure that you use it on the correct fuse.Not much use on a fuse with a anti-tamper device like a russian AD-A fuse,then use the de-armer,tape & line ect.

12. Err No. This little baby is

PYTHON

13. "On 23 May 1982, Staff Segeant James Prescott RE was killed and WO2 (later Capt) John Phillips RE was seriously injured in HMS Antelope while attempting to use a rocket wrench to remove a fuze from a 1,000 lb British-made bomb dropped by the Agentineans. Both were from 49 EOD Sqn RE. Prescott was awarded the CGM posthumously and Phillips was awarded the DSC (a naval decoration). Antelope burned fiercely all night and sank the following day. Subsequently, bombs were removed from ships without tampering with their fuzes."

And THAT's why they have the white arrows!

14. you mean the rocket wrench uses two .50 elec det cartrides. worked for a company that manufactured these. was on the team that tested them along with de-armers and disrupters

15. yes, a number of rocket wrenches were sent out. had to send more after a few weeks as some were put on the wrong way round and tried screwing in the fuse instead of removing them.