• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Rossettes not to be worn on ribbons when Medals are worn.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I had to look up the regulations for the TD and VRSM the other day and |I noticed this little gem:

"7. The grant of each clasp will be denoted by the wearing of a small silver rose on the bar of the ribbon when ribbons only are worn on undress and service uniform. The rose (or roses) is not to be worn on the ribbon when the Decoration itself is worn."

That was from the TD but it applies to the EM and the VRSM.

Are we really supposed to remove the rossettes from the ribbon when we put the medals on? Of course not so why did somebody write it? Why was it left in?

I had to look up the regulations for the TD and VRSM the other day and |I noticed this little gem:

"7. The grant of each clasp will be denoted by the wearing of a small silver rose on the bar of the ribbon when ribbons only are worn on undress and service uniform. The rose (or roses) is not to be worn on the ribbon when the Decoration itself is worn."

That was from the TD but it applies to the EM and the VRSM.

Are we really supposed to remove the rossettes from the ribbon when we put the medals on? Of course not so why did somebody write it? Why was it left in?
The policy changed terminology a few years ago which has now confused the issue. They used to use the words 'ribbon' and 'ribband' to denote the difference between what the medal suspends on, and what is on the tunic.

Basically, what this is saying is that the Rose shouldn't appear on the ribbon that the medal is suspended on, worn only on the tunic ribbon. You must have seen some individuals that have added a ribbon in their actual medal, haven't you? The only medal that a full rosette is worn is South Atlantic Medal and the OSM Sierra Leone (Barras, Maidenly).

Using a photo to show what I mean, a South Atlantic medal was issue minus a bar, so authority was granted to wear a rosette if you serve during the war phase; some cannot wear if outside the set criteria but still qualify for the medal. Here's the incorrect mounting of a TELIC medal and rosette:
ImageUploadedByARRSE1447225773.882007.jpg

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Needs to be rewritten to say what it means.

Using a photo to show what I mean, a South Atlantic medal was issue minus a bar, so authority was granted to wear a rosette if you serve during the war phase; some cannot wear if outside the set criteria but still qualify for the medal. Here's the incorrect mounting of a TELIC medal and rosette: View attachment 223544
Not only incorrect but some pretty slipshod mounting.

I recently contacted the medal office on a similar question concerning the Accumulated Active service Medal where the Rosette is used to replace more than 3 bars and was informed by the dress committee that the rosette should be worn on this medal as it is an accumulation . So please don't call me a Knob or posing git for something I have earned over 12.5 years active service.

I recently contacted the medal office on a similar question concerning the Accumulated Active service Medal where the Rosette is used to replace more than 3 bars and was informed by the dress committee that the rosette should be worn on this medal as it is an accumulation . So please don't call me a Knob or posing git for something I have earned over 12.5 years active service.
1. WTF is the 'Accumulated Active service Medal'?

2. If you mean the 'Accumulated Campaign Service Medal', subsequent qualifying periods are denoted by a clasp which is worn on the medal. When the ribbon only is worn, subsequent awards are denoted by a rosette. I draw your attention to Annex 8B para11 of JSP 761:

8B.11. The Medal remains as the former ACSM, that being it shall be circular, made of silver and bear on the obverse the Crowned Effigy of Her Majesty. On the reverse the inscription ‘FOR ACCUMULATED CAMPAIGN SERVICE’ is set within a four part ribbon surrounded by a branch of oak leaves with laurel and olive leaves woven through the motto ribbon. However, differently from the previous medal, the medal is suspended from a ribbon, one and a quarter inches in width, consisting of a central stripe of purple with two vertical stripes of gold flanked on either side by a stripe of green. This change in ribbon denotes the change in criteria.
8B.12. Rosette emblems denoting the award of each Bar are attached to the ribbon when the ribbon only is worn. A maximum of 3 rosettes may be worn. To denote service beyond the award of 3 Bars (3 silver rosettes), the following shall be worn:
a. Four Bars will be denoted by a single gold rosette.
b. Five Bars will be denoted by one gold and one silver rosette
c. Six Bars will be denoted by one gold and two silver rosettes.
d. Seven Bars will be denoted by two gold rosettes.

e. The sequence will be followed until nine clasps are denoted by three gold rosettes. A further announcement will be made in the event that holders of the ACSM 11 become eligible for a tenth clasp.

3. You are a knob for resurrecting a 2-year old thread simply to show everyone what a knob you are.

I remain, faithfully, etc, etc.

3. You are a knob for resurrecting a 2-year old thread simply to show everyone what a knob you are.

I remain, faithfully, etc, etc.

How dare you....

They're a bally 'ero.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
How dare you....

They're a bally 'ero.
Not sure about 'ero but if they've done 8 years of campaign service over a 12 1/2 year period a certain amount of respect is due.

I suspect our percky 'ero and possible their advisor have got themselves confused about ribbons 2 be sewn on the uniforms which have rosettes and ribbons that medals are suspended from which have clasps.

@FourZeroCharlie - Whilst I bow to your superior ability to siphon and quote Text from excerpts , if you read the reply you would see that I spoke personally to the medal office and I am sure they will appreciate your vastly superior intellect.. However this superiority exists within your own sense of self importance and your belief of self righteousness. commonly known as Arrogance and insufferable. Further more I am neither lonely or suffering any other disability apart from a newcomer asking a relevant question, as I hope more people will in the future.

Your reply suggests more time spent with a pen and thesaurus than social interaction. Finally, the numbering of paragraphs is a military official letter context whist others with a knowledge of the written English language would point out that numbering and bullet points should be used to differentiate individual items within the sub text of the subject.

Finally, your icon suggests a certain personality disorder towards the opposite sex which could explain your hostility and lack of social interaction.

regards

42yrs and still serving.

@FourZeroCharlie - Whilst I bow to your superior ability to siphon and quote Text from excerpts , if you read the reply you would see that I spoke personally to the medal office and I am sure they will appreciate your vastly superior intellect.. However this superiority exists within your own sense of self importance and your belief of self righteousness. commonly known as Arrogance and insufferable. Further more I am neither lonely or suffering any other disability apart from a newcomer asking a relevant question, as I hope more people will in the future.

Your reply suggests more time spent with a pen and thesaurus than social interaction. Finally, the numbering of paragraphs is a military official letter context whist others with a knowledge of the written English language would point out that numbering and bullet points should be used to differentiate individual items within the sub text of the subject.

Finally, your icon suggests a certain personality disorder towards the opposite sex which could explain your hostility and lack of social interaction.

regards

42yrs and still serving.
42 years? Let it go man!

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

regards

42yrs and still serving.
I think he was cutting and pasting directly from the regulations. He’s right. Either you misunderstood what you were told or the person you spoke to misunderstood your question.

regards

42yrs and still serving.
42 years,do you get a Private Soldiers Pension then?