Rossetta Stone language learning program

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by Devil_Dog, Mar 18, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi folks,

Has anyone here used the Rosetta Stone CDs to learn a different language and if so, is it worth it?

The price is rather steep (about 300 bucks) and I am not about to invest so much on a product I know nothing about.

So, if you are familiar with it, please share your comments and experience. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

2. I'm using one at the moment. As a complete novice with the language I'm trying to learn it has got me off to a good start. But feel I will need to supplement my learning with other methods.

One feature of the Rosetta Stone courses is that they don't translate the words into English or explain the grammar. You have to work it for yourself from the examples. I'm not sure if that is a better way of learning or not. Probably it is but for me personally I'd like something a little more technical that explains the language structure and grammar more.

I wouldn't invest 300 bucks in the CDs. Fortunately it was available to borrow from the local library here.

Just my opinion from a monoglot.

3. I used it for Chinese, well impressed, I had tried everything else to no avail Rossetta Stone sorted me out - I am just about to buy the Arabic & Spanish ones (work and women). Its pricey but well worth the dollars.

In regards to PsyWar.Org 's experience I found that my problem was that all other course WERE attempting to explore the grammer - a f*cking nightmare with Chinese.

4. just a thought, but if you are worried about shelling out 300 have a look on ebay, maybe somebody is selling their old tapes/discs...

5. Or try torrents ;)

6. I didn't think we were allowed to mention those....

7. torrents are legal, downloading copyright material isn't. so it's fine to mention them, just don't advocate the use of them to break the law.....

8. What language are you trying to learn?

I have had a go on the demo on the rosetta stone. It looked ok but it might get a bit repetitive. If I were you I'd use the money to buy loads of different types of materials. Plus you may get fed up of having to sit at the computer. For that sort of money you could get such a great variety of language materials. Ialways find this keeps your interest up, nut maybe I'm just sad :)

9. Farsi, Pashtu or Arabic. This is all self effort on my part. Whatever I do I will be starting from zero. Do you have any ideas on the best basic resources?

10. May I recomend the DB Trotter language course in French. It is very popular in Peckham.

Au revoir mein ami

11. A Salaam Alaikum, hairyhandbag!!

BTW, why would anybody want to learn French? Enlighten me, if you can.

Till then, inshallah, my little friend.

12. Believe it or not there are loads of resources out there for arabic and quite a few for farsi (Try searching on Persian as well.) The 'Teach Yourself' books are always quite good for beginners. They're opnly about 20 quid all in. Make sure you get the CD's too for pronnounciation. Try amazon. If you spend so much you get free delivery and they often have language books reduced.

Basically my advice like I said earlier would be to use loads of different materials. If you buy the Rosetta you may get bored with it and it is extortion!!!

As for pashto I'd forget it if I were you. The amount of materials on it are a joke and probably trying to self learn it would be nigh on impossible. (But I will stand corrected??!!) Plus I think there are two strains of it so I don't know what you'd do there.

P.S. Check which dialect of arabic you want to learn. (Three are several!) If I were oyu I'd start with the modern standard arabic, then progress from there. Hope this helps.

13. I tried learning with tourettes but it was to fcuking bsatard hard!