Ross Kemp To Host GBM Banquite For Returning Troops.

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by spike7451, Jun 5, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Good choice imho.

"Great British Menu

Tuesday 16 June
    8:00pm - 9:00pm
    BBC2
    Banquet

It is the grand finale of Great British Menu. The nation's finest chefs have been battling it out in the ultimate cookery contest. This one-hour special follows the winning chefs as they journey to the RAF's historic Halton House, where they will prepare their dishes at a banquet to honour the men and women from all three forces serving in Afghanistan, with a glorious homecoming dinner that captures the authentic tastes of home.

Ross says: "I'm honoured to be hosting such a prestigious and rewarding event for the BBC's Great British Menu. It is fantastic that some of the UK's top chefs are cooking the best British food for our deserving troops heading home from active service."

"I've been to Afghanistan myself and seen the unbelievable work that they do out there – they really are worthy of an amazing meal and to see such a collaboration should make us all very proud to be British."

Ross's last appearance on BBC One was in his role as Grant Mitchell in EastEnders in 2005, and he has since appeared in the popular BBC Two comedy series Extras as an actor obsessed with the SAS.

The BAFTA award-winning series Ross Kemp On Gangs has seen the actor and TV presenter travel the globe, and last year Ross took part in a special five-part series where he travelled to Afghanistan and shadowed the Royal Anglian Regiment while they were stationed there.

This special homecoming banquet is for men and women who have been in active service in Afghanistan and will be held at the RAF's historic Halton House in Buckinghamshire.

The theme of the menu is "A Taste of Home" and the chefs worked tirelessly to create and perfect dishes worthy of a place on the menu.

The winning menu revealed last week is:
    Starter – Salad of Aberdeen Angus beef, carrots, horseradish and Shetland Black potatoes (Kenny Atkinson for the North East)
    Fish Course – Masala-spiced monkfish with red lentils, pickled carrots and coconut (Glynn Purnell for Central)
    Main Course – Lonk Lamb Lancashire hotpot, roast loin, pickled red cabbage, carrots and leeks (Nigel Haworth for the North West)
    Dessert – Treacle tart with clotted cream and raspberry ripple ice cream (Shaun Rankin for the South West)

2. Fantastic show of support, but poor menu selection in my view. You can't beat:

Starter: Prawn Cocktail
    Main: Rump Steak with chips/baked potato, a side salad, and bread roll.
    Pudding: Black Forest Gateau

Wine: Liebfraumilch

3. French wine it is then - I bow to a man of clearly superior taste

4. Good choice of host. I'm gald it was someone the troops could relate too rather than some tosser with a good publicist.

I personally would have gone for the Chicken Broth by Danny Millar to start, The rest was spot on.

Masala-spiced monkfish, Mmmmmmmm!!!! :D

However, slightly off topic, I would smack Oliver Peyton right in the mush for being am incredible food snob! :x

5. Beef Wellington? 2 Mercian have that at least once a week out here! I kid you not.

Best bloody food in theatre out here......

6. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Or more likely spend the entire meal ripping the mick out of him!
    Which he would probably expect!!!

I want to launch that self satisfied, smug, tasteless moronic rectal wart on a solo one way exploratory mission to Pluto. A three week Nig in BFG brought up on gyros would have made a better critic!

7. :D :D :D :D I bet it won't be in the edited hour finale next week.

8. Mr Deputy.
    Ive had the hotpot, Im lucky enough to live close enough to Northcote Manor to make going there for lunch (£25!) worthwhile. If ratpacks are this good, Im missing something!
    The rest of the menu looks ok. Banquets are a bugger to cater for, Ive done a couple and what works for 4 people doesnt necessarily work for 400

9. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Warning Order:
    8-9pm Tuesday 16/6 BBC2

10. Already there Spike, had DVD player set up last week incase I wasn't back from UK :wink:

Cheers anyway.

11. Bloody Hell, mate. Tell us what you REALLY think! 8O :twisted:

12. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I'm planning to take Mrs BA to one of the chef's restaurants when she returns from the 'Stan. So she can sample some of the GBMs. Baloo is a possible - has anyone been there?

13. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

BA, You mean Danny Miller's Balloo House in Killinchy?
    Yes.a while ago,very nice.

14. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Yes that's what I was thinking. I've looked at the website and the prices seem reasonable but I thought I might ask if he can do his original competition entry.

15. Bump