Rosette on Afghan Ribbon

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by BaggyInBlack, Jun 25, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hands up, I’m being lazy and could look into this further, but I know someone out there will have the gen to hand on this question.

A rosette comes with the OSM Afghan Medal. Does the rosette get worn on the ribbon for all ops in Afghan, or is it only worn on the ribbon for people on the first of the Afghan Ops? I have heard 2 different sets of “rules” from people guessing, but I’m sure someone out there can quote the correct documentation to look at.

Many thanks in advance.

Baggy.

2. The answer's here.

Don

3. The rosette indicates that the medal has the clasp, the rosette does not go on the medal ribbon, it goes on the ribbon bar.

4. Cheers lads. FF, I should have been more specific....I did mean the ribbon bar as you mentioned :)

Baggy

5. Does this mean one can wear several identical ribbons as a separate OSM, each one with a clasp denoting area of operations, is issued for different theatres?
    Unlike the GSM 1962 where no matter how many theatres of operation only one medal was awarded (each theatre gaining a clasp - or bar- e.g., Radfan, S.Arabia, Borneo, Malay Penninsula, Northern Ireland, etc.).

6. It goes on the RIBAND not RIBBON

7. Thanks for that blobby - in all my years in the army I never ever heard my or others medal ribbons referred to as ribands.
    There was a blue riband and Atlantic Steamers used to vie with each other to win it.
    Or - in the '40s and '50s - we would eat a cheap chocolate biscuity thing with the same name.

To get back to my original question do recipients of multiple OSMs wear multiple identical ribbons?

BTW I always thought RIBANDS were streamers - think US military Colours where battle honours are emblazoned on streamers (ribands?) affixed to the Colour staff.

8. No, the medals are identical but on different coloured ribbons.

IMD

9. From the quoted MOD website,

Ribbon

A broad central red stripe, flanked each side by a stripe of royal blue and one of light blue, to represent the three services, with an outer stripe of light brown to reflect the landscape of Afghanistan.

So which is it?

10. The medal is suspended on ribbon.

The ribbon bar (worn above the breast pocket) was (in old times) referred to as a riband.

Two separate things

MM

11. Thanks IMD.

Must've been a long long time ago MM!

12. apologies, wrong way round. RIBBONS are on the jacket, a RIBAND is the suspension for the medal

13. Soon to be replaced with an outer stripe of blood red.

14. Not quite. Ribbon and riband are interchangable and mean the same thing. The word 'riband' is an old fashioned term and is generally no longer used in favour of the former.

15. Not according to the current PAM 10 (instructions for the wearing of insignia of orders, decorations and medals)

Quote:

WEARING OF RIBBONS
    1. Ribbons. When ribbons are worn without the Orders, Decorations and Medals
    themselves, all are to be worn except those of The Orders of the Garter and Thistle. The
    dimensions of ribbons of Orders, when the ribbon alone is worn, are to be the width of the
    ribands of Membership of the Order. If there is no Membership class, the ribbon is to be
    the width of the ribands of Companionship of the Order. All ribbons are to be 9.525mm
    deep ie from top to bottom.
    2. Positioning of Ribbons. Ribbons are to be placed centrally over the left breast
    pocket button. They are worn in rows, the senior ribbon positioned nearest the jacket lapel
    or front buttons and in the top row when multiple rows are worn. No ribbon should be fully
    hidden by the lapel. The number of ribbons worn in a complete row is governed largely by
    the individual’s physique, and the type of garment being worn (open neck or stand collar).
    As many ribbons as convenient are to be placed in a row before another row is started.
    An incomplete row is to be placed centrally above the top complete row, and is to contain
    ribbons of the senior Orders, Decorations or Medals. Rows are to be approximately 3.175
    mm apart.

8. Riband Length. When Decorations and Medals are worn the riband is to be 31.750
    mm or more long. When 2 or more Decorations or Medals are worn they are to be
    arranged so that the lower edges, or lowest point of a star, are in line. Owing to the
    differing lengths of Decorations and Medals it may be necessary to wear ribands longer
    than 31.750 mm. The addition of clasps to a Medal may also necessitate the wearing of a
    longer riband.
    9. Awarded Decoration or Medal not Received. A corresponding length of riband to
    that described at Paragraph 7 is to be worn in respect of any Decoration or Medal awarded
    but not received. Clearly this only applies on occasions when Medals are worn.

According to the document it is a ribbon if NO medal is suspended from it.