Rosette on Afghan Ribbon

Hands up, I’m being lazy and could look into this further, but I know someone out there will have the gen to hand on this question.

A rosette comes with the OSM Afghan Medal. Does the rosette get worn on the ribbon for all ops in Afghan, or is it only worn on the ribbon for people on the first of the Afghan Ops? I have heard 2 different sets of “rules” from people guessing, but I’m sure someone out there can quote the correct documentation to look at.

Many thanks in advance.

Baggy.

The rosette indicates that the medal has the clasp, the rosette does not go on the medal ribbon, it goes on the ribbon bar.

Cheers lads. FF, I should have been more specific....I did mean the ribbon bar as you mentioned :)

Baggy

Does this mean one can wear several identical ribbons as a separate OSM, each one with a clasp denoting area of operations, is issued for different theatres?
Unlike the GSM 1962 where no matter how many theatres of operation only one medal was awarded (each theatre gaining a clasp - or bar- e.g., Radfan, S.Arabia, Borneo, Malay Penninsula, Northern Ireland, etc.).

Thanks for that blobby - in all my years in the army I never ever heard my or others medal ribbons referred to as ribands.
There was a blue riband and Atlantic Steamers used to vie with each other to win it.
Or - in the '40s and '50s - we would eat a cheap chocolate biscuity thing with the same name.

To get back to my original question do recipients of multiple OSMs wear multiple identical ribbons?

BTW I always thought RIBANDS were streamers - think US military Colours where battle honours are emblazoned on streamers (ribands?) affixed to the Colour staff.

I

In_my_day

Busterdog said:
...I never ever heard my or others medal ribbons referred to as ribands.Ditto!

...do recipients of multiple OSMs wear multiple identical ribbons?
No, the medals are identical but on different coloured ribbons.

IMD

blobmeister said:
It goes on the RIBAND not RIBBON
From the quoted MOD website,

Ribbon

A broad central red stripe, flanked each side by a stripe of royal blue and one of light blue, to represent the three services, with an outer stripe of light brown to reflect the landscape of Afghanistan.

So which is it?

The medal is suspended on ribbon.

The ribbon bar (worn above the breast pocket) was (in old times) referred to as a riband.

Two separate things

MM

blobmeister said:
apologies, wrong way round. RIBBONS are on the jacket, a RIBAND is the suspension for the medal
Not quite. Ribbon and riband are interchangable and mean the same thing. The word 'riband' is an old fashioned term and is generally no longer used in favour of the former.

Not according to the current PAM 10 (instructions for the wearing of insignia of orders, decorations and medals)

Quote:

WEARING OF RIBBONS
1. Ribbons. When ribbons are worn without the Orders, Decorations and Medals
themselves, all are to be worn except those of The Orders of the Garter and Thistle. The
dimensions of ribbons of Orders, when the ribbon alone is worn, are to be the width of the
ribands of Membership of the Order. If there is no Membership class, the ribbon is to be
the width of the ribands of Companionship of the Order. All ribbons are to be 9.525mm
deep ie from top to bottom.
2. Positioning of Ribbons. Ribbons are to be placed centrally over the left breast
pocket button. They are worn in rows, the senior ribbon positioned nearest the jacket lapel
or front buttons and in the top row when multiple rows are worn. No ribbon should be fully
hidden by the lapel. The number of ribbons worn in a complete row is governed largely by
the individual’s physique, and the type of garment being worn (open neck or stand collar).
As many ribbons as convenient are to be placed in a row before another row is started.
An incomplete row is to be placed centrally above the top complete row, and is to contain
ribbons of the senior Orders, Decorations or Medals. Rows are to be approximately 3.175
mm apart.

8. Riband Length. When Decorations and Medals are worn the riband is to be 31.750
mm or more long. When 2 or more Decorations or Medals are worn they are to be
arranged so that the lower edges, or lowest point of a star, are in line. Owing to the
differing lengths of Decorations and Medals it may be necessary to wear ribands longer
than 31.750 mm. The addition of clasps to a Medal may also necessitate the wearing of a
longer riband.
9. Awarded Decoration or Medal not Received. A corresponding length of riband to
that described at Paragraph 7 is to be worn in respect of any Decoration or Medal awarded
but not received. Clearly this only applies on occasions when Medals are worn.

According to the document it is a ribbon if NO medal is suspended from it.

All very nice. But that overlooks one thing. The Pam was written by someone with no fcuking idea what they're on about and was probably parrotting an ancient and arcane Victorian regulation and the terminology used therin. I've consulted my mate on this and he knows the bloody lot backwards - and in five different languages.

Well I would rather go with:

THE DEFENCE SUPPLY CHAIN MANUAL
JSP 336 (3rd Edition)
Volume 12
SUPPLY CHAIN INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE
LAND ENVIRONMENT
Part 3
CLOTHING
Pamphlet 10
INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE WEARING OF THE
INSIGNIA OF ORDERS, DECORATIONS AND
MEDALS
Version 2.00 by Command of the Defence Council
1 Aug 05 Ministry of Defence

Your mate 'Dave' might know some things. I would rather use the above, bearing in mind this is what the household division uses also

Dave is in the Household Division! Seriously, it's in all probability historical carry-over from the medal wearing regs that have changed little - if at all - since the Edwardian era. The term 'riband' has largely - with the exception of London District it would appear - disappeared from common usage and is pretty much obsolete.