Rosetta Stone anyone?

Discussion in 'Education and Resettlement Courses' started by in_the_cheapseats, Jun 8, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

I want to learn Latin American Spanish and have been looking around for options. Rosetta Stone has a package that I could use and it seems a reasonable price.

Has anyone else used any of their packages to any degree of success?
  2. msr

msr LE

3. in_the_cheapseats

Sadly not serving anymore...
  4. I used the Latin America sets (Levels 1 & 2) before going to South America for a holiday last year. I think it is a great course and combined with a small phrasebook I had no problems getting around.

The latest versions come with an audio companion to enable you to listen on your iPod, though the version I had didn't so I cannot comment on how well that works.

For me it was well worth the money and the hour a night needed to get through it.
  5. msr

msr LE

You'd like to think things like this would be available to veterans...
  6. I'd recommend the Michel Thomas course. He was a very gifted WW2 vet (with the french resistance).

I bought his German course, and only ever listened to the first two CDs (which I think was only a couple of hours) and my German girlfriend at the time was really impressed at how much I had picked up, and I was a better speaker than her previous boyfriend who'd gone out with her for a couple of years after listening to this CD a few times.

It might take some getting used to, as you basically sit in on one of his lessons, but he explains stuff very well. For example:

With the German CD he teaches you a very simple code to learn how to translate many English Words into German without even being told what they are (for example, words that have a T sound in the middle in English are usually the same in German, but the T changes to an S sound - so Hate - hasser; water - wasser; what - wass; Eat - Ess (I'm spelling the phonetics, as I'm not sure the actual spellings); must - muss. He also teaches the majority German grammar in about five minutes - and explains we all ready know it, anyway, by giving the example "Forgive me father, for I know not what I do"

Basically, if I were to sum up: he teaches you how to use the language, and not how to learn phrases through rote learning.

Although with the German I found he didn't teach the informal stuff, it still gave a good grounding to learn from. I'm also sure his Spanish Course is just as good. I think it's also on iTunes.

You can also listen to an example here:
    • Like Like x 1
  7. in_the_cheapseats

That would be a far too reasonable a proposal for it to ever come off.
  8. However it seems to take forever to get your logon details when requested!

2 months and counting, it took 4 for my Dii access....
  9. msr

msr LE

Are you confusing DELC with DLP?

10. It may be DLP, its the one with the Rossetta Stone courses on it and it can be accessed through DII or the normal Internet I believe.
  11. I think Rosetta Stone may have been through a few upgrades since the OP. I am using it for Italian and can highly recommend it. Their approach is the closest to how babies acquire their first language.

No I don't work for them; but I do have an interest in language aqcuisition etc... (yes I know!)
  12. can you still get Rosetta Stone for free? I heard a rumour they'd cancelled that. And msr- thanks for the link (3 years ago :) ) is there something a bit more up to date/ explicit as to how to access it? Or am I (quite likely) being thick or over Gluwein-ed here?
  13. I agree he's really good with the basics- I have a thorough and automatic grounding in sentence structure. However, as you get a bit further into it, certainly with the German course, it starts to grate a little bit- his students can be pretty slow and annoying, and I found it's hard to retain interest without a bit more useful and applicable vocab.

I moved onto the Linguaphone course, which is really good, although it's really for someone who already has the basics I think.

If you're after improving your written language, I really recommend Duolingo (google it) which is an
    online writing and listening course where you help translate websites as part of a wider community.
  14. "Rosetta Stone anyone?"
    No, sorry not had her?
    Which garrison does she do?
    A meal, a few pints then a bj & a shag is she?