Rosetta Stone anyone?

Folks,

I want to learn Latin American Spanish and have been looking around for options. Rosetta Stone has a package that I could use and it seems a reasonable price.

Has anyone else used any of their packages to any degree of success?

I used the Latin America sets (Levels 1 & 2) before going to South America for a holiday last year. I think it is a great course and combined with a small phrasebook I had no problems getting around.

The latest versions come with an audio companion to enable you to listen on your iPod, though the version I had didn't so I cannot comment on how well that works.

For me it was well worth the money and the hour a night needed to get through it.

I'd recommend the Michel Thomas course. He was a very gifted WW2 vet (with the french resistance).

I bought his German course, and only ever listened to the first two CDs (which I think was only a couple of hours) and my German girlfriend at the time was really impressed at how much I had picked up, and I was a better speaker than her previous boyfriend who'd gone out with her for a couple of years after listening to this CD a few times.

It might take some getting used to, as you basically sit in on one of his lessons, but he explains stuff very well. For example:

With the German CD he teaches you a very simple code to learn how to translate many English Words into German without even being told what they are (for example, words that have a T sound in the middle in English are usually the same in German, but the T changes to an S sound - so Hate - hasser; water - wasser; what - wass; Eat - Ess (I'm spelling the phonetics, as I'm not sure the actual spellings); must - muss. He also teaches the majority German grammar in about five minutes - and explains we all ready know it, anyway, by giving the example "Forgive me father, for I know not what I do"

Basically, if I were to sum up: he teaches you how to use the language, and not how to learn phrases through rote learning.

Although with the German I found he didn't teach the informal stuff, it still gave a good grounding to learn from. I'm also sure his Spanish Course is just as good. I think it's also on iTunes.

http://www.michelthomas.co.uk/

You can also listen to an example here:

http://www.michelthomas.co.uk/soundclips.htm#javascript

Whiskey_60 said:
msr said:
Reasonable price? As in free: www.delc.co.uk

msr
However it seems to take forever to get your logon details when requested!

2 months and counting, it took 4 for my Dii access....
Are you confusing DELC with DLP?

msr

I think Rosetta Stone may have been through a few upgrades since the OP. I am using it for Italian and can highly recommend it. Their approach is the closest to how babies acquire their first language.

No I don't work for them; but I do have an interest in language aqcuisition etc... (yes I know!)

can you still get Rosetta Stone for free? I heard a rumour they'd cancelled that. And msr- thanks for the link (3 years ago :) ) is there something a bit more up to date/ explicit as to how to access it? Or am I (quite likely) being thick or over Gluwein-ed here?

I'd recommend the Michel Thomas course. He was a very gifted WW2 vet (with the french resistance).

I bought his German course, and only ever listened to the first two CDs (which I think was only a couple of hours) and my German girlfriend at the time was really impressed at how much I had picked up, and I was a better speaker than her previous boyfriend who'd gone out with her for a couple of years after listening to this CD a few times.

It might take some getting used to, as you basically sit in on one of his lessons, but he explains stuff very well. For example:

With the German CD he teaches you a very simple code to learn how to translate many English Words into German without even being told what they are (for example, words that have a T sound in the middle in English are usually the same in German, but the T changes to an S sound - so Hate - hasser; water - wasser; what - wass; Eat - Ess (I'm spelling the phonetics, as I'm not sure the actual spellings); must - muss. He also teaches the majority German grammar in about five minutes - and explains we all ready know it, anyway, by giving the example "Forgive me father, for I know not what I do"

Basically, if I were to sum up: he teaches you how to use the language, and not how to learn phrases through rote learning.

Although with the German I found he didn't teach the informal stuff, it still gave a good grounding to learn from. I'm also sure his Spanish Course is just as good. I think it's also on iTunes.

http://www.michelthomas.co.uk/

You can also listen to an example here:

http://www.michelthomas.co.uk/soundclips.htm#javascript
I agree he's really good with the basics- I have a thorough and automatic grounding in sentence structure. However, as you get a bit further into it, certainly with the German course, it starts to grate a little bit- his students can be pretty slow and annoying, and I found it's hard to retain interest without a bit more useful and applicable vocab.

I moved onto the Linguaphone course, which is really good, although it's really for someone who already has the basics I think.

If you're after improving your written language, I really recommend Duolingo (google it) which is an
online writing and listening course where you help translate websites as part of a wider community.

"Rosetta Stone anyone?"
No, sorry not had her?
Which garrison does she do?
A meal, a few pints then a bj & a shag is she?

Thread necromancy, but on the same topic:

Is Rosetta Stone still available through DII/DLP etc? Anyone able to direct me?

Cheers in advance