Rose throwing at wooton bassett

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by stabtoreg, Aug 27, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can someone tell me what is with all this rose throwing at Wooton Basset? I think it started with the father of one of the soldiers who placed one on the roof of his sons vehicle. Now it looks like hundreds of them are getting thrown about
  2. I think it's called the "Diana Syndrome"
  3. Started, I think, with Diana's funeral, when weeping masses of people who'd never met her started throwing the flowers they'd brought along - without any thought of what was going to happen to them, since they weren't going to be taken into the service, nor conveyed to her burial site - onto the hearse as it left the Abbey and headed off on the journey to Althorp.
  4. Grief Walts?
  5. Lads as much as I see where you are coming from this is a public forum... Be careful!
  6. I can't say that this bothers me too much - I'd rather this than the mass indifference shown by HMG.
  7. The people of Wotton Basset are fantastic and do us proud whenever a Union Flag drapped coffin comes home. If throwing roses helps them express there grief and that of the families then why not gents, as far as I am concerned this should be end of thread!
  8. Exactly. Whilst the public are on side enough to spend £2 on a rose and throw it at cars then lets not do anything to encourage them to act as Gordon would and call for another 12 Infantry cap badges to be axed!
  9. Harsh to say they're 'grief walts', Mick.

Diana's funeral was, AFAIK, the first instance of a funeral of someone in the public eye (think, say, Churchill and Mountbatten's funerals for the nearest, imprecise comparison) where flowers were thrown onto the hearse as it passed by onlookers.

This seems to have become interpreted as an acceptable means of demonstrating greif and/or respect. A debate can be had about whether it is or not (but is, to some extent) beside the point - it is now seen by a fair number of people as being an acceptable physical manifestation of their respect for the dead (or grief), particularly if they are unable to attend the funeral service/burial (or in this case repatriation ceremony).

AIUI, some of those who have thrown flowers are friends and relatives of the fallen. They clearly can't be called grief walts at all, since they have suffered the loss directly. Others will probably be those who wish to pay their respects for sincere reasons - showing their support for those on operations, and, in a way, their gratitude for the sacrifice made.

Sadly some - as the folk at WB have observed - are clearly chubb-like grief whores who simply have to be there not to pay their respects or to grieve lost friends/comrades, but simply for their own gratification.

However, separating the third category of grief walts from the friends/ not immediate relatives and those there paying genuine respects can't be done simply on the basis of whether they place or throw flowers onto the hearse as it passes.
  10. Think it started with the friends and family of one of the lads being brought back. Frankly, if the grieving family want to dance naked on the street and sing Druid mourning songs then it's up to them and good luck to them trying to find something that helps them get through it all.

It's all becoming a bit Diana, I think, but maybe it's better than no-one giving a shite like it was before?
  11. Even the few grief walts who do show up help to swell the ranks. As for the families - I just thank God its not a relative of mine in the coffin, I can't imagine how awful it must be for them, and I am prety much constantly in awe of their fortitude each time I see or hear them in the media.

If people whish to pay a tribute of any (acceptable) kind then that is a good thing, definately for the forces in general and probably for the families.

A large turnout sends a rebuke to Blair and Brown every time a coffin goes through WB and that too is a good thing.

The people of WB are to be applauded for their part in all of this, I only hope that the solemnity of the occassion is not ruined in the end.
  12. Top end of the High St is where the grieving families stand, that is where the rose throwing tends to happen.. Not grief walts, grieving families, and many ex-school friends in their teens. Might not be how it used to be done, but many have never known this kind of grief, never expected to lose an 18 year old school friend. Further down the High St normal WB locals and former servicemen, no rose throwing in sight. The main thing that has affected the atmosphere is all the Sky/BBC vehicles reporters and presenters. But the media people too appear to be affected by the occasion. WB might appear to be grief walt central to those who have never been. But for those who attend it is strangely powerful and emotional. Everyone I spoke to last time had some kind of connection to the military, I guess that is the connection to those killed.

There but for the grace of God, certainly true in my case.
  13. I can't really see your beef here, fella. The folks in WB started this very dignified salute to fallen comrades off their own bat and without any help or prompting from either the MoD or the shite gobment. I think it's absolutely marvellous.

It's a wholly unique situation in the UK and if folks want to lob flowers as a mark of respect and to (somehow) express their sadness, who's to gainsay it?

Or are you positioning yourself to become "Director of Grief" there? :D

14. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

It appears to be largely a family thing, who are we to question them. They've sacrificed their Brother, Sister, Father Husband, Wife, Son or Daughter. If it gives them comfort then that is the least we can do to indulge them, we owe them far far more!!

Joanne McAleese, second left, wife of Serjeant McAleese watches his coffin pass through Wootton Bassett
  15. I think they do this at East End funerals too. It's an old tradition.