Rory Bremner and the Fighting Scots

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by johnboyzzz, Sep 4, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Not sure if this is the right place for this, so feel free to shift.

Tomorrow, 21:00 on BBC Four

The Scots have a reputation as brave, ferocious warriors. Despite a troubled history with England, history shows that more of Scotland's young men sign up to fight for the crown than anywhere else in Britain.

Rory Bremner, whose own father and great grandfather were distinguished Scottish soldiers, sets out to discover why rebel clansmen became loyal servants of the military establishment.

His story takes him to Culloden, Crimea and northern France. As the sound of the pipes floats over Scottish military camps in Afghanistan he asks if, after 250 years, the Scottish soldier's loyalty to Queen and country is running out?

2. Same reason as the Irish and Gurkha,
    wanted to join the best.
    john

3. Let me just amend that for you John.

4. They wanted to be on the winning side for a change.

5. Really ??

The Roman Empire couldnt tame us. They got some of their slaves to build a wall to keep us out. The same slaves that think it was their idea to build it in the first place nowadays.

A few angry Highlanders got as far as Derby and were only defeated by the British Army. The English needed our fellow countrymen to sort us out properly.

Go on .. admit it .. your glad we are on your side (for now) .. :wink:

6. Of course you could always stop sending them anywhere and you can pick up the slack for 'stan :wink:

7. What??? And spill even more of our precious taxpaying Anglo Saxon blood?

Then who would keep Scotland in Methadone and Buckfast??

:wink:

8. Quiet 'Ahem'. Er....Mons Grampius where the flower of Caledonian Warriorhood was put to thew sword by the Auxiliaries without the Legionaries breaking sweat?

We built the Wall so you lot wouldn't come down to Pons Aelius on a saturday night and hoy up all over us after getting rascally ratted in the Biggus Marketus. :wink:

Article you might actually enjoy about Mons Grampius:
    http://www.reformation.org/vol1ch17.html

9. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

ahem Mons Graupius http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Mons_Graupius

carry on

10. :oops: :oops: :oops:
    Embarrasment State High.

It's losing the hair, makes the memory faulty. And the new reading glasses.
    I'm off for my mid-day gruel if I can just find me stick.

11. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

It's behind the sofa, the dog's chewing on it again :D