Rorke's Drift and Isandlwana

What a brilliant idea it is the way the reader is introduced to the main players who would pop up as the story unfolds, there’s a potted history of their lives before ,and their careers after the battle, both European, South African and Zulu proved very interesting.

Also the names of the battlefield’s and relevant locations , again in Zulu and British which if you have no prior knowledge of the landscape can be pretty confusing, this along with the excellent colour and Black and White illustrations of the landscape help you understand the difficulties both parties would encounter, more so the British Army as the Zulu were playing on their home turf and could instantly work out what and where the British , especially in the retreat were making for as the encircling “Horns of the Buffalo” was being developed by the Zulu commanders over such a large area.

Having all this information along with the time scale , allows one to pinpoint a certain movement and the knock-on effect this has on both the battles; Islandlwana and Rorke's Drift, giving one a better understanding of the opposing forces and when and why they took such actions on the day as it unfolded.

Rorkes Drift 2.jpg

The battles themselves are so in depth and detail that one can feel that you are actually on the spot watching it unfold all around you, again the time reference is invaluable , showing how some “On the spot decisions “ were disastrous while others were heroic but futile owing to the confusion and lack of a strategic planning as the battle, especially Islandlwana unfolded.

The inability of Lord Chelmsford to actually sort in his mind any of the information as it arrived at his HQ at Mengani Falls, could not be believed , having fought against other tribal armies and his steadfast belief in the unsurmountable fire power of the British Army, was such a shock, he just wouldn’t accept what was actually happening. Lt Col Pulleine was in fact, trying to defend the camp as to Chelmsford’s battle plan, but seeing as he had taken half the force with him, at a stroke it left gaps in the original firing line and Pulleine in trying to extend his remaining companies thinned out the rifle fire that in the end the line was broken and the battle lost.

Anyone interested in this Famous Victorian campaign and would like to be an authority, then this is the book to get him there! Awarded five well earned stars.

Overopensights

Amazon product

Last edited by a moderator:

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
What a brilliant idea it is the way the reader is introduced to the main players who would pop up as the story unfolds, there’s a potted history of their lives before ,and their careers after the battle, both European, South African and Zulu proved very interesting.

Also the names of the battlefield’s and relevant locations , again in Zulu and British which if you have no prior knowledge of the landscape can be pretty confusing, this along with the excellent colour and Black and White illustrations of the landscape help you understand the difficulties both parties would encounter, more so the British Army as the Zulu were playing on their home turf and could instantly work out what and where the British , especially in the retreat were making for as the encircling “Horns of the Buffalo” was being developed by the Zulu commanders over such a large area.

Having all this information along with the time scale , allows one to pinpoint a certain movement and the knock-on effect this has on both the battles; Islandlwana and Rorke's Drift, giving one a better understanding of the opposing forces and when and why they took such actions on the day as it unfolded.

The battles themselves are so in depth and detail that one can feel that you are actually on the spot watching it unfold all around you, again the time reference is invaluable , showing how some “On the spot decisions “ were disastrous while others were heroic but futile owing to the confusion and lack of a strategic planning as the battle, especially Islandlwana unfolded.

The inability of Lord Chelmsford to actually sort in his mind any of the information as it arrived at his HQ at Mengani Falls, could not be believed , having fought against other tribal armies and his steadfast belief in the unsurmountable fire power of the British Army, was such a shock, he just wouldn’t accept what was actually happening. Lt Col Pulleine was in fact, trying to defend the camp as to Chelmsford’s battle plan, but seeing as he had taken half the force with him, at a stroke it left gaps in the original firing line and Pulleine in trying to extend his remaining companies thinned out the rifle fire that in the end the line was broken and the battle lost.

Anyone interested in this Famous Victorian campaign and would like to be an authority, then this is the book to get him there! Awarded five well earned stars.

Overopensights

Amazon product
Excellent review old boy. I am currently building "characters" from Isandlwhana and Rorke's Drift, so this is quite a timely review. I have read a few accounts of the events building up to the debacle of the defeat at Isandlwhana and the heroics of Rorke's Drift, but this book seems to explain in minutiae how they unfolded. Definitely an add in to my own reference library.

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
Excellent review old boy. I am currently building "characters" from Isandlwhana and Rorke's Drift, so this is quite a timely review. I have read a few accounts of the events building up to the debacle of the defeat at Isandlwhana and the heroics of Rorke's Drift, but this book seems to explain in minutiae how they unfolded. Definitely an add in to my own reference library.
Smeggers Greetings! Thank you for your kind comments, I did have a head start as I served 10 years in the 24th where the history was always drilled into us, watching Zulu was part of our training often the 'wet weather prog' . If you would wish it, I will forward the book to you. I have finished it now.
Best wishes
Overopensights

Mufulira42

Old-Salt
Smeggers Greetings! Thank you for your kind comments, I did have a head start as I served 10 years in the 24th where the history was always drilled into us, watching Zulu was part of our training often the 'wet weather prog' . If you would wish it, I will forward the book to you. I have finished it now.
Best wishes
Overopensights
IIRC standing on the actual firing line at the Tented camp and viewing the 32sq miles of the valley plains below the Mountain and couldn't help wondering how even veteran soldiers thought of the sweeping hordes of the enemy descending from the slopes and working the Martini Henry as fast as possible in aimed or volley firing and the mass kept on coming seemingly unstoppable!

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Best wishes
Overopensights
Yes please! I will PM my address

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
, watching Zulu was part of our training often the 'wet weather prog' .

It was standard viewing for us in the RAMC.

at ATR Winchester for the recruits final medical we'd put a dvd on the screen in the waiting room. Normally it would be health education related rubbish. but for the final medical we'd look at what cap badges were in the platoon and find something suitable for them.

Ohh, mostly RAMC, so Zulu it is....

half way into the film we look out through the reception hatch... into a waiting room with nothing but black recruits in who are avidly watching the film.... and there we were all white people looking at them through a small window....

half way into the film we look out through the reception hatch... into a waiting room with nothing but black recruits in who are avidly watching the film.... and there we were all white people looking at them through a small window....
One wonders why they weren’t lining up to join the Zulu Army?

Latest Threads