Ronnie James Dio - Stomach cancer

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by Virgil, Nov 30, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Nasty stuff. What's the current outlook for this particular version of cancer--it used to be a certainly painful check-out?

Singer Dio diagnosed with cancer

Heavy metal singer Ronnie James Dio has been diagnosed with stomach cancer, his wife has said.

Writing on his official website, Wendy Dio said the former Rainbow and Black Sabbath singer was in the early stages of the illness.

Mrs Dio added he was starting treatment immediately and would be back on stage after "he kills this dragon".

Dio, 67, had to cancel his band's European tour last week after he became unwell and was taken to hospital.

"Ronnie has been diagnosed with the early stages of stomach cancer. We are starting treatment immediately at the Mayo Clinic," Mrs Dio said.

"After he kills this dragon, Ronnie will be back on stage, where he belongs, doing what he loves best, performing for his fans."

Mrs Dio also thanked fans for their well wishes, adding: "This has really helped to keep his spirit up."

Dio first achieved recognition singing with his own band Elf before joining Rainbow in 1975.

He later replaced Ozzy Osbourne in Black Sabbath in 1979 for three years.

He is currently working on a project with former Black Sabbath bandmates Tony Iommi, Geezer Butler and Vinny Appice, under the name Heaven & Hell.
  2. Well my cousin has got it... she has been given 6-12 months possibly 18 if things go well (this is after all the chemo etc)
  3. Sad to hear. Good luck to her.
  4. Father in law died of this 4 months from diagnosis to the Crematorium. Not the best cancer to come back from to say the least virtually untreatable unless caught very early. Saying that he went in his own bed with dignity and very little pain thanks to a huge amount of diamorphine.
  5. Bad news this. Hope Ronnie survives as we've lost too many great bands and vocalists . His track record, voice range (you can count rivals on one hand, maybe) and song writing (75-79 writing Rainbow music and all the lyrics) are the man's epitaph. He's commanded men like Sarzo, Campbell, Bain, and survived Blackmore's tantrums during the best years of Rock. The likes of 'snake, Purple , Rainbow, Sabbath, Iron Maiden, and Ritchie Blackmore, ruled. RJD was the King and unlike DC, his voice endures. We're condemned to mediocre wannabes like Snow patrol, who actually couldn't walk into The Hammy Odeon, or any arena, to command an audience with his charisma and magic . Dio were due to tour now, Doug Aldrich live with Dio is always something worth watching and maybe Aldrich knows his time is coming to a close. Makes you wonder which rock vocalists the old rockers can still support. RJD has done a ton of charity work , best he gets a reprieve.

Dio God
  6. Saw H&H at a festival in Belgium in June and Dio was awesome. There are not many 67 year olds around that can perform like him. I was looking forward to seeing him again in Manchester last Friday. I hope by catching it early, he makes a speedy recovery.
  7. My first run in with Dio was Blackmore's Rainbow "Man on the Silver Mountain". Still one of the greatest early heavy metal songs for my money.

On some other forum I read someone had seen this posted;

"Cancer diagnosed with Dio".
  8. Sad news, Ronnie is a particular favourite of mine and has been one of my favourite all time singers since I started getting into music. Like purplegunner I was due to watch him at Manchester and was disappointed to hear he had cancelled, I sincerely hope that he's caught this early and and he manages to recover from it.
  9. You are rarely completely free of the dragon. My buddy,John, had prostate cancer ten years ago which is when I first met him through my Wife.

He supposedly fought it off only to find it returning this Summer. He had radiotherapy in 1999 and is now having chemotherapy. I take him every fortnight and bring him back.

He is a 22 year ex Staffie.RAOC.

A lovely man so calm and modest.

Good luck to all sufferers.

10. Get well soon Dio, metal legend!
  11. Here is an update from Wendy Dio on Ronnie's battle with stomach cancer:
    Quote: "Well, it has been a very exhausting month – after all the neverending tests in Los Angeles, we flew to the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota, and as soon as we arrived, we got a call from the MD Anderson Hospital that they had an appointment for us with the doctor we originally wanted, so we then flew to Houston to the clinic, and of course MORE tests, but Ronnie finished receiving his first chemo treatment on Wednesday, and all is going very well.

I would like to thank Tony Martell from the T.J. Martell Foundation, Dr. Stuart Aaronson from Mount Sinai, Lindsay Brown and Mike Carden from Eagle Records, and our very own Dr. Sandeep Kapoor, for all your help in getting us into MD Anderson, and also our friends Geezer and Gloria Butler, who flew to Houston to be with Ronnie while he had his chemo.

Ronnie and I are totally overwhelmed by the amount of well wishes that we have received from friends and fans - we are reading them all. Some make us laugh, some make us cry, but all of them are so filled with love that it gives us so much support and makes Ronnie even more determined to fight this battle and win. Thank you all for the positive energy and prayers.

--Wendy Dio"
    End Quote from
  12. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

My father in law and his father both got stomach cancer at roughly the same time. Grandfather survived. Her Dad died. All very sad. What was it that Jane Goody had?
  13. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer