Romney: Nuclear Iran Would Be 'Unacceptable'

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by cavemandave, Jul 29, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. US presidential contender Mitt Romney is visiting the Middle East, promising closer ties with Israel if elected.

US presidential hopeful Mitt Romney has affirmed his backing for Israel during the latest stop on his foreign tour.

The Republican candidate is promoting his pro-Israel credentials as he prepares to take on Barack Obama in November's election.

During the trip to Jerusalem, a senior aide has revealed that Mr Romney would support an Israeli military strike to prevent Iran from securing a nuclear weapon.

The White House candidate has been holding talks with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and President Shimon Peres.

Mr Romney is also due to meet with Israeli opposition politicians and Palestinian Prime Minister Salam Fayyad, but he will not meet with Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas.

He told Mr Peres: "Like you, we are concerned about the development of nuclear capacity on the part of Iran and feel it would be unacceptable for Iran to become a nuclear-armed nation."

His senior national security adviser went further, telling reporters: "If Israel has to take action on its own, in order to stop Iran from developing that capability, the governor would respect that decision."

Mr Romney is hoping that a tough stance on Iran will be a vote-winner in the forthcoming election. He has previously accused Mr Obama of undermining Israel and boosting its enemies.

Romney: Nuclear Iran Would Be 'Unacceptable'
  2. I'm surprised he can find it on a map.
    • Like Like x 3
  3. probably the same thing was said of the USSR.
  4. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

He can't. But if elected as POTUS he will have someone to do that for him.
  5. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Nothing new here. USA and many others (pretty much everyone, really - UN, EU, etc) have been saying this for a good many years. Difference is, the USA can do something about it.
  6. I reckon that the USA will find this twerp unacceptable into the bargain.
  7. A Presidential candidate saying things he hopes will get him elected? Shocker.:roll:
    • Like Like x 1
  8. This bloke could shave millions of the US budget if he carries on because he making such a tit of himself that Obama needn't bother going on the campaign trail; just sit back in the White house and don't even bother packing!

9. When are US politicians and their legions of advisors going to understand that the world extends beyond CONUS and Israel?

I appreciate he's talking to domestic voters with this speech, but when a US presidential hopeful talks foreign relations, the rest of the world is listening and judging.

If Israel has the "right to defend itself", then so does Iran.

If Isreal has the right to launch a pre-emptive strike against Iran (which is what he is alluding to), then so does Iran vice-verca.

Is Romney such a Walter Mitty that he thinks this type of talk will defuse the situation?

You can always trust America to do the right thing - after they have exhausted all other possibilities.
  10. Mitt's an old pal of Bibi, rich supporters of Israel have basically bought him, he's gaffe prone but actually capable and no fool, he needs fiercely pro-Israeli evangelicals to ignore his heretical beliefs. I think he probably can find Iran on a map, right down to every major IRGC target.

And his stated postion on Iran acquiring a weapon is pretty much identical to Barry.
  11. Will of AIPAC
  12. I don't think he's particularly big on that issue, another matter on which he's very similar to Barry.
  13. Romney scares me, he is so stupid that he makes Bush (s) look clever.
  14. The US is institutionally weak on foreign policy and what effect their words, actions and deeds have on world opinion and subsequent consequences.

Here we have the US media clamouring to get into the place where their beloved Israelis/Zionists carried out a terrorist atrocity within living memory. But, historical background is irrelevant when all they're interested in is grabbing a soundbite from the gaffe-prone Mormon.

The "special relationship" lives on as normal: the US smugly tells everybody that they're special and their friendship and advice is ever so important - and then gives Israel the green light to do whatever it wants.