Rommel rides again

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by WALT, Nov 3, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I think everyone should unpack their heritage!

2. I forget which regiment they were but the Leopard 2s in Kosovo '99 had a similar badge. And why not?

3. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

You could (almost) forgive the Germans for being proud of the Afrika Korps.

I know we are justly proud of the 8th Army, who eventually gave them a bloody good hiding!

4. Yes Snowy - the difference their was the brilliance of their leader, Generalfeldmarshall Rommel!

http://www.waffenhq.de/biographien/biographien/rommel.html

I spent a year with the German army 262/2 Fallschirmjaegerbattalion and they have a proud heritage and I think they should be able to show this pride!

5. I should have stressed that I don't have a problem with it, I just find it amusing the crap that the media feel the need to dig up.
    Also it amazes me that as soon as anyone "mentions the war," the German nation feels the need to indulge in a mass bout of self flaggelation.
    They really should get over it. I'd like to think that we have (won't stop us reminding them, of course :D )

6. I was in Kosovo in 99 with Trunk Node 012. We were attached to a German Panzer Regt who displayed the palm tree on the rear bins of the Leopard 2. Some of us managed to obtain the stencil and decorated our radio relay vehicles with the same. Needless to say tp OC went bananas!!. Rumour had it when asked the panzer regiment could trace its origins to the western desert.

7. Good on them I say, its a symbol of a Regiment (Not only that but a nails Regiment)

8. I did a short exercise with a boxhead panzer battalion many years ago. They were very proud of thie history and showed me round a room with all their 'trophies', maps and photos in it. There was a map tracing the battalion's path across Russia and a cabinet containing 'masked' decorations (the Krauts are obliged to cover up any form of swastika so all the badges and decorations sported little bits of plastic covering the symbol).

Towards the end of the ex, I was introduced to a very old stabsfeldwebel who had served as a 16 yr old panzerman in the last days of the recent unpleasantness. He did a few years in a soviet camp but was released in the late forties and it didn't take him long to join the fledgling tank corps of the Bundeswehr. He produced an album of piccies showing Wehrmacht panzer crews doing covert armoured training east of the Volga in the thirties before they were withdrawn for overt training in Germany. This was no mean feat as photographs like those could have earned the phot a death sentence.

They are very much in touch with their past! What was interesting was that anumber of them bemoaned Dunkirk. They thought it should have been a rendezvouz, not an evacuation. :D

9. German troops 'had WWII symbol' BBC Link

I think the BBC have altered the content of this story slightly, as I'm sure yesterday they were refering to Rommel as 'Nazi General Rommel'.

10. I would say the boxheads have a well earned right to pride in their military history. It isn't armies that start the bloody wars but they are always the ones expected to finish them. I just hope they are thick skinned enough to shrug off this silliness.

As an aside, you might find some of the views here http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=250416 interesting.

11. Africa korp = Nails

I'm all for it, Ze germans I worked with were good blokes, Hans (the panzergrenadier) was doubly so as he was as big as two men and had the biggest 'tache since Pancho Villa, no hair on his head and carried ammo boxes like I carry my mobile phone.

12. so bloody what if its from WW2 - most of our divisional and brigade symbols date back to then

even regiments have decidedly un PC insignia - the red backing behind the LI cap badge commemorates a massacre carried out by British troops a few hundred years ago

13. Revisionist cr@p - he was a General in the army of the Nazi state - stop pretending that he was jolly good chap. Like the rest of the '44 plotters he only turned against Hitler when the writing was on the wall. They turned against Hitler not because he was evil, murdering b~stard, but because the war was being lost and they wanted to sue for peace before Germany was destroyed.

Yes, he was a good general, and the German land forces were, from a tactical perspective, very capable and are still worth studying, but lets not forget they were fighting for an evil murderous regime (Strangely enough, lead by a weird bunch of freaks, misfits, sexual deviants and drug addicts) and were at least, tacit, accomplices to its many crimes.

14. Are you accusing me of being a revisionist, or the BBC?