Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by Vegetius, Nov 3, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I don't know if anybody else saw this last night on BBC2, but I can honestly say it's probably the best bit of telly I've seen since Band of Brothers. The moral majority got all uppity apparently because of the "sex'n'violence" but as far as I was concerned the sex (lots of it and quite strange) seemed to me to be all about showing how different Roman culture was from ours, rather than just for the sake of it. And that relative of Caesar's with the nice jubblies is basically Alexis Carington in a toga!

Anyway, it was interesting seeing the Roman Legions (the XIII, Caesar's Own) portrayed as part Legion d'Entranger and part Ersatzkommando in Gaul. The battle with the Gauls, with the Centurion directing proceedings like a rugby referee, was excellent (actually, it reminded me a bit of the public order training centre but that's another story).

That they packed so much politics, fighting, shagging, debauchery, intrigue, decent characters and all round derring-do into an hour was amazing. Well done BBC/HBO (spam co-production, you can see it in the budget) and I'm looking forward to the rest of the series immensely.

If you missed part one (it's shown at 2100 Wednesdays) they are repeating it on Sunday night on BBC1 at 2250.

Highly recommended.

2. It's fantastic! Love it.
  3. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

An excellent programme, designed to appeal to, well, to me at least. Lots of violence, plenty of nudity and some decent totty. I particularly liked the way Marc Anthony stopped his Troops on the march, and left them standing around in column of route, while he had that peasant women from behind against the tree. The fact that he did it in full view of all his Soldiers shows him to be a true Squaddie :)

I would have left them marking time...

And it's 40 minutes long I think, not an hour. It'll be an hour in the US of course.
  4. quality television
  5. fantastic, quality tv, the best thing thats been on for a while, 40 mins is not enough. cant wait for next week. The fighting scenes were truely graphic, amazing. cant wait for the next episode!
  6. My Sister has been watching it in the states and say's it only gets better! It's about time a brilliant series was made to make up for all the dross.

Is it me or does Atia of the Julii look like an older version of Miss Church?
  7. THAT was ruddy marvellous!!!

Grotty, filthy and more real than some others. At last there is something that justifies my licence fee!

Oh and James Purefoy is an absolute fox! :lol:
  8. Boobies. Good ones too.
  9. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

Indeed: an excellent production, though Mrs cpunk did take issue with me when I pointed out that 3 out of 4 Romans appear to favour doing it 'doggy style' - or should that be 'modus canens'? - anyway, she suggested that it could only have been written by a blerk.
  10. This is true, as the opening shaggage was a very pleasing "Lady-on-Top" scene as well.

11. You dumped Angelina then Veg?
  12. No, she's just resting for a bit. Monica has agreed to fill in.
  13. They can both have me if they play their cards right..
  14. Im looking forward to seeing the scenes where the Roman ladies shave their Herbacious Borders to a nice Brazilian! ( it was probably not called a Brazilian then possibly a Germania!)
  15. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

I think it was evident last night that they were already on the case.

As a general point, isn't it nice when 'serious' TV drama delivers the goodies? I was happy to be able to sit on the sofa, letching at top TV totty, whilst claiming to be improving my dreadfully limited education. I may well find myself buying the DVD for similar 'educational' purposes. :D