Rome: Republic into Empire

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Metellus Cimber II submitted a new resource:

Rome: Republic into Empire - The Civil Wars of the First Century BCE

Given that we are still living with the legacy of Rome in many respects, all of our politicians ought to read this book; although – with the exception of Boris Johnson, who is a classicist - they probably will not, being too far up their own posteriors to heed the lessons of the past.

Rome: Republic into Empire has a certain contemporary resonance: a selfish and out-of-touch political elite wished to monopolise the spoils of office and war, denying any reward to their allies and...
Read more about this resource...

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Yet another excellent review @Auld-Yin, definitely puts this book firmly at the top of "must buys" for me. I have just started an interest in the Roman Army and it's leaders, so would imagine this book will give me the insights required to flesh out what knowledge I have on the subject.

What I did find interesting in your review was there was no comment about Suetonius or Tacticus. Was this deliberate? I'm sure either of the two worthy commentators would have had something to say.

I like Chrystal's writing style and find him a very informed author, packing his books with relevant detail and not falling foul of too many quotes or assumptions.

Well done.

"The price of stability and firm government was high: the curtailment of traditional Roman liberties and political rights, although this was balanced in many Romans' eyes by the inception of a long period of remarkable prosperity and sophisticated civilisation". Is that what our grandchildren will be saying if we don't really get out of the EU. As George Santayana observed "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it".

For those who are less read-ey or have long cars journeys, could I recommend Dan Carlin's hard core history series " Death Throes of the Republic" as a companion?
Current Hardcore History Available for Free
12 hours 36 mins of gore, intrigue and politics.

I'd also recommend his Punic Nightmare series 3hrs 53mins on a fascinating conflict. the FIBUA through Carthage appartment blocks sounded surprisingly 20th century in some ways

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Yet another excellent review @Auld-Yin, definitely puts this book firmly at the top of "must buys" for me. I have just started an interest in the Roman Army and it's leaders, so would imagine this book will give me the insights required to flesh out what knowledge I have on the subject.

What I did find interesting in your review was there was no comment about Suetonius or Tacticus. Was this deliberate? I'm sure either of the two worthy commentators would have had something to say.

I like Chrystal's writing style and find him a very informed author, packing his books with relevant detail and not falling foul of too many quotes or assumptions.

Well done.
The review is not mine, it is @metellus cimber II - who I wish would start posting his own reviews thus gaining the appropriate credit for them! :cool: