Rollmat and a bergen.

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Cymru_am_Byth, May 5, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. How do you attach a rollmat to an infantry bergen, I've just got rid of my other arms bergen and that had convenient straps on the top to attach one. But theres no straps on the infantry bergen so how the hell do I do it.

I apologise for being a thick cnut.

2. ^ on the bottom, I may be wrong but I do believe there are straps at the bottom of the bergen.

Or use a bungie..

3. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

On the back, between the side pouch and the rear pouch, vertically. Or bin a side pouch and fix it in its place. Better yet, bin the roll mat and invest in a Thermarest! And remember, bergan covers hide a multitude of sins.

4. On the bottom? Don't you wear webbing? Your rear pouches would be in the way.

I always used to have mine under the lid of the bergan, though I've also seen it strapped to one side next to the side pouches with bungees. Now I've got a folding mat which goes inside the bergan.........problem solved!

Experiment a bit and see what suits you, or look how do the rest of your unit do it.

5. Stick it under the top lid.

6. Good point, I tend to fcuk mine into the back of a rover and dip in to it when I need anything, last time I had to do any tabbing with webbing AND bergen was when 58 pattern was still in!

7. Short memory there Dev !

I have a gucchi little daysac , now the quetion is do I put the daysac on first then the bergan or vice versa ?

:p

8. Ha,I thought I had put that to depths of my memory matey.

And anyway, that was a bimble not a proper tab.....

9. I always used to have mine under the lid of the bergan, though I've also seen it strapped to one side next to the side pouches with bungees. Now I've got a folding mat which goes inside the bergan.........problem solved!

Experiment a bit and see what suits you, or look how do the rest of your unit do it.[/quote]

ditto. folding ones far easier to get out and put away.

10. i agree with having it next to the rear pouch, it can be fixed to the hoops that travel vertically down the outside, this leaves you with both daysacks and does not take any room away from the main compartment if you had chosen to place it in the lid.

in my opinion its other benefits are the fact that it does not get in your way when searching for other kit inside the main compartment, saves space. and does not stick out of your "bodyshape" as much as having it mounted horizontally on the top or furthur left/right vertically in the rocketpouch space.

german issue folding mats are good bits of kit, fits snugly in main compartment.

11. Agreed - I know that most people use bungees for this, but attaching the kip mat is probably the only real use that I have found for the straps, futility.

13. good lad, 'cos the all arms bergans are gay!
    you don't need to apologise for anything mate, after all, you saw the light & ditched the AA Bergan didn't you!

:D

14. Get some one to chop up your mat and turn it into a foldable job, a bit easier to manage/attach to your bergen

I had one of those semi inflatable jobs (Think it was jack wolfskin) which was excellent until I left it in the sun, blown up, in Sierra leone, the air in it expanded and all the cells popped in to one leaving me with a large rectangular balloon

Locals found it funny, unfortunately it didn't work when it cooled down

15. I've always attached it vertically on the outside of my annoyance by the rocket pouches with them straps what you get....no real dramas but the fold away ones are alot better and like said above, can fit inside....I have seen lads in my lot attach them to the bottom of the bergan but that was because they had assault vests on, normal webbing, you mind find your bergan is miles above your head :lol:

Alot put it under the lid, up to you, just like with all your kit, do it to suit yourself....

But do get the fold away roll mat..:lol: