Roll up, roll up.

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by old_fat_and_hairy, Jun 28, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

From July 7th until 9th, there is a history festival, at Chalke, in Wiltshire.

Chalke Valley History Festival

A glance at the list of attending speakers, who include James Holland, Michael Wood and Simon Scarrow, should give a flavour of the event. It appears to be heavily weighted toward the military history buff.

There will be talks on Shackelton, Ancient Rome and even 'Horrible Histories'. It is an event well worth attending, and as a very psecial incentive, I (meaning me , personally and in person) will be there as official ARRSE rep, with a brief to try to interview authors but most importantly, blag new and upcoming books for review.

So, come along, meet the authors, listen to the speakers, join in the debates and buy me a pint.

For those poor and unfortunate people who can't attend, I will be writing a little something aboput it after the event. I do realise, however, that this will be no compensation at all for not being able to meet me. But, gopefully, it will give an idea of what the festival was like.

Please support this festival if you are at all able, it is fairly close to Blandford, and in the heart of good old Wiltshire. It promises to be a terrific and interesting event, and one that should not be missed.
  2. Having looked at the brochure, I see no mention of a beer tent. Or any displays. And given that most of the interesting topics are already sold out, it seems that there's little point in turning up on the off-chance. Also seems a bit odd that it's run over Thurs evening, Fri evening and Saturday (10:30am-10pm).

I'll look forward to your review. I hope you managed to get a Gold ticket before they sold out.
  3. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Yes, I've just had a re-look at brochure. It does seem to be popular. I'm assured there are refreshments there, and equally assured that I have an access all areas ticket.