Roll Pin Belts on belt kit?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by KleenUpGuy, Feb 6, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just wonderred what the general consensus is on roll pin belts versus other options? And also whether if you have a roll pin is it worth coverring it to prevent shine?
  2. I prefer roll pin belts as I found the issued belts came loose while running around playing cowboys and indians. As for doing something about the shine, I've never found it an issue but it come down to either personnel preference or unit SOPs.
  3. You always break the plastic buckles when you stand on them accidently, roll pin are a great belt!
  4. I tend to close cab doors on them and then slam the door repeatedly, before finally looking and realising I have fooked my plastic buckle. Roll pins rule.
  5. MrBane

MrBane War Hero Reviewer Reviews Editor

If you're getting a rollpin or buying webbing or kit that uses them ensure the metal has been treated. See the Dixies Corner review on their webbing to see what I mean.

Plastic buckles are also good but ensure they are ITW Nexus brand, the best buckles on the market. Otherwise you're going to have an epic fail at some stage when it snaps!
  6. I used roll pin buckles in the 70's on 58 pattern webbing.

Roll pin buckles are available in different colours other than bright shiney silver. (I have recently seen green, black and sand coloured ones).

Give DROP ZONE a shout at Brize, they may have them in.
  7. Does anyone know of anywhere who sells the treated belts? Iv seen one on KM but it is untreated.
  8. MrBane

MrBane War Hero Reviewer Reviews Editor

If it's just the belt you're after, as in, the actual strappy bit, with the rollpin on it, or even if it's just the roll pin, I suggest giving Dixies a call. They make everything from scratch so can't see why they wouldn't be able to sell you whatever bit you were after.

Remember; treated metal isn't just about taking the shine off it's about protecting from rust. You might think nothing of getting it wet during an Op / Ex and then throw the kit in the bottom of a bag somewhere or in a cupboard for two months, pull it out at the end and, bleargh. Out with the nail brush and some oil. Treated metal avoids all that trouble.
  9. Will do during the week. Sounds good, read your review twice now. XD bit of envy to be fair, but I doubt I could do the kit the justice and the great review you gave it.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. [​IMG]

As said plastic buckles are fine. They never slip, need treating or rattle (as long as there ITW Nexus).... We put them on belt kits as std.. but will use a roll pin if that's required. Is this an 'Ally' optional extra?
  11. Unbuttoned pocket today, Open submarine hatch tomorrow!!!

Roll pin belts and buckles were very 'ALI' in the 70's, normally made up from heavy drop equipment etc as per 'Mark The Convict' post.

Note for KUG; I have a few of the ITW NEXUS buckles spare which can be yours for a donation to HOLS4HERO'S.

Black Hawk do a locking pin type belt which can be chopped up and machined to a PLCE belt to produce the same effect, available in green and tan/sand colour. The buckle is coloured to match the belt. Again DROP ZONE have these in stock.
  12. DB... :)

I'd just told the guy to do one up on his smock... Oh well... You can't get the staff lol
  13. For what its worth, in the middle 80's for belt kit, I went normal belt then got the riggers to make me a roll bin belt and then I went back to the normal belt.

IIRC a lot of roll pin belts were made up and used but I think the majority went back to normal belts eventually.
  14. I used a roll pin on my Active Edge Kit but had a set of 58 pattern as normal for courses etc.

A lot of the lads had thier roll pin buckles set up on the left hand side with the loose strap on the right to tighten with the right hand.

I had mine on the opposite side so I could tighten with my left hand and keep my weapon in my right hand.

I note that most of the current belt kit manufactors still putting the buckle on the left.