roll pin belt

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
this may be a bit of a bone question, but I've acquired an unmodified roll pin belt, and was wondering what the best (if there is such a thing) way to set it up to use it in place of a standard plce belt was - thank you in advance.

Take the belt and roll-pin to your local 'Stitch' (unit equipment repairer or civ equivalent) and they will cut off the belt ends to size and stitch the roll-pin in its place.

ooooh thats so early 80's, still works better though.

Why do you want a roll pin belt, they are ages old from the days of '58 but more adjustable in the field.

PLCE has the added bonus of easy fastening/unfastening and is easily adjustable.

Why the roll pin?

Roll pins are much stronger. The issue plastic buckles shatter/break.

(edit) Plus the dude's got one already, might as well use it...

Plastic ones can also become unclipped or damaged if you spend a lot of time on your belt-buckle and roll-pins can be better to wear with CBA. There are pros and cons of each, it's only a belt FFS, wear what you find comfortable.

If you have the roll pin, after it's been adjusted/tightened, thread the loose end back through the last bit of the roll-pin. If the webbing has to be removed in a hurry (eg casualty drills) then it will be quickly unfastened by simply pulling the loose-end.

Sarge said:
Where can i get one of those roll pin belts from
47 Air Despatch use them for rigging MSP's, especially ammo resups. I "aqquired" loads years ago whilst rigging and am still selling them on ebay for £15 a pop - cheers easy!!

I think that was always one of the problems with these belts!!!!! :D

I think it was traditionally an airbourne thing, because they had easier access to the belts.

From a personal point of view I wore one because once the old 58 belt was soaking wet through it tended to shrink a bit and get tight on my ample girth but with the roll pin belt it was problem solved and yes we did all pinch them on rigging courses! Cheers JATE!

chocolate_frog said:
Why do you want a roll pin belt, they are ages old from the days of '58 but more adjustable in the field.

PLCE has the added bonus of easy fastening/unfastening and is easily adjustable.

Why the roll pin?
well because its ALLY AS F*CK for one thing.

i didnt bother with the tailored belt i just stuck my pouches on it.

works a charm

30 inch waist (just) with 5 utility pouches Bayonet frog and one double ammo pouch.

red_phos said:
chocolate_frog said:

Why the roll pin?
well because its ALLY AS F*CK for one thing.

i didnt bother with the tailored belt i just stuck my pouches on it.

works a charm

30 inch waist (just) with 5 utility pouches Bayonet frog and one double ammo pouch.
I remember those days too!