Roll of Honour for Bosnia?

It's a shame this thread can't be pinned somewhere so it can be easily found.

It's Arrse at it's dignified best and probably better sums up service and remembrance in six pages than all the screeds of newsprint and hours of airtime of the past week.

Old thread or not, it's been a very humbling read.
Yes. I've just read all 6 pages. I was a teenager at the time of this conflict leaving home, off to Uni and in the process of applying to be an Officer. I cant remember all these deaths and didn't realise there had been so many.
Thank you to all who have contributed

I was with Titch the week before he died. We used to sit in the back of his 432 at Cold Hussar playing chess whilst we were both on nights providing rebro into the Drvar valley. I got to know Titch quite well, chatting as you do on a night shift as he invariably massacred me at chess. As others have said he'd taken the tour to get some money together for his family, work at home being hard to come by. He worshipped his family.

We both got the shout to collapse and move that morning, I only had some commercial radio gear and a 9x9 to drop (being RMP) so I was done and dusted with my oppo pretty quick. Got back to Sipovo and heard about an accident, after a while I put two and two together. Went up to the hospital for reasons I can't explain. When I heard he'd died I sat down and wrote his wife a letter trying to give her a picture of his last week and to assure her that she and his kids were never far away from his mind.

Hardest letter I've ever written. I think she tried to phone the Police Station in Sipovo but I could never get the courage up to speak to her.

If she reads this, I'm sorry for that act of rank cowardice. He loved you though. Deeply.

Requiescat in Pace.

Captain Steve Wormald R ANGLIAN. Killed near GV 23 years ago today.

RIP chum.

Anglesey red

Old-Salt
I was a young corporal in 1998 and one of the first RMP on the scene. I knew Loz through a mutual friend so it was particularly poignant for me. Especially under the circumstances. I remember it well and often think about you and how you've managed to cope since. Even after all of these years.

Only two weeks earlier I was first on scene when Kevin Bell was tragically killed. We'd been chatting in the mess the night before and I waved him off on his final journey the following day.

Such a sad loss of young life. It's hard to hear squaddies say that tour was a summer holiday. For many, it will be with us for the rest of our lives.

All the best

RIP
Were you based at Sanski Most with us?

I did struggle with my private life. My whole family turned their backs on me. I had terrible mood swings that got me into physical fights with certain members of my family and where I lived.

I know there maybe the right place to put TubeYou clips but this popped up today on my feed.
Some old faces from the past there and places!

I know there maybe the right place to put TubeYou clips but this popped up today on my feed.
Some old faces from the past there and places!

I'm probably somewhere in the background in the last scene.

Stumpy4154

LE
Book Reviewer
Does anybody know the circs behind Katie Tranter's accident? I only ask as her name is on the memorial down the road from me.

OMJT

Old-Salt
Doing a quick search there's a small article on The Guardian that mentions that, whilst leaving a helo in Split, she was struck by the rear rotors. Truly very sad.

Does anybody know the circs behind Katie Tranter's accident? I only ask as her name is on the memorial down the road from me.

Doing a quick search there's a small article on The Guardian that mentions that, whilst leaving a helo in Split, she was struck by the rear rotors. Truly very sad.
Yup, a very tragic accident, Walked backwards into tail rotor whilst dragging her kit from a/c.

Stumpy4154

LE
Book Reviewer
Gents, thanks for the replies. I had heard that something like that had happened but didn't want to blunder about an open forum and possibly upsetting of offending people who were close to her or her family by asking such a delicate question.
As I said above, her name is on the memorial near to where I live and I often see it when I walk my dog and wondered what had happened.

I was Duty Driver that night and the call came through to get the padre from Kupres to Sipovo as soon as humanly possible to read him his last rites.
I put my boot down the whole way there but by the time we arrived he'd already been dead 2 hours.
Until that night I'd never thought there was much point taking padres on tour because all he seemed to do was wander round camp all day getting in peoples way. That night I saw the nasty side of his job.
Pte Baird was in a Sqn from 3CS Regt who'd been attached to us in 4GS for Op Resolute, his Sqn planted a tree in memory of him outside their hangar in Dalton Bks when we got back. I wonder if it's still there.
I never knew the guy other than maybe saying hello in passing but his death has always stayed with me. The only fatality the Regt suffered on that tour and only a matter of weeks before going home time.

I just wish I'd got the padre there in time.
I was in 3cs Regt on that tour, Brummy was a good lad and his life is still celebrated every year by his fellow servicemen

Dave Baird was a top bloke, he was ex RRF, we were in the same room at ASMT and posted to 3 CS around the same time...There is a memorial at Dalton Bks, he is on that along with Stu Wilson and Simmo, also 3 CS who died in a RTA in 97....[/QUO
Dave Baird was a top bloke, he was ex RRF, we were in the same room at ASMT and posted to 3 CS around the same time...There is a memorial at Dalton Bks, he is on that along with Stu Wilson and Simmo, also 3 CS who died in a RTA in 97....
I was in 3cs regt and on both tours when Brummy, Stu and Simmo lost their lives. All were great guys and surely would have gone through the rank. Very sad days. RIP fells

mrdude

War Hero
It was late November, early December '96. Guy was Green Howards (TA?). Killed by a penetrating injury from his own weapon.
That's true, I was attached to 1AFA LAD at the time, and 1BN REME were there at the same time in Sipovo - they were tasked with getting the guys belongings from the back of the vehicle and 'cleaning' up. I had also been posted to 1BN REME and had just left it, so I knew the people that were doing the 'cleaning' and had popped in to say hello at the time (unaware of what they were doing). Apparently the guys from the Green Howards (which shared the camp with 1BN Reme), didn't/couldn't face the task due to their friends being in the 432 at the time.
If memory serves me correctly the pins from the tillers that control the steering had came out or were missing and the driver was unable to steer the vehicle, so they rolled off a cliff.

If you go to 2.19 of this video,

You can see the Linkage that controls the steering has a clevis pin through it - with a split pin holding it in place, the split pins were missing and the clevis pins came out causing loss of steering, and hence attributed greatly to the RTA and loss of life.

Last edited:
I was with Titch the week before he died. We used to sit in the back of his 432 at Cold Hussar playing chess whilst we were both on nights providing rebro into the Drvar valley. I got to know Titch quite well, chatting as you do on a night shift as he invariably massacred me at chess. As others have said he'd taken the tour to get some money together for his family, work at home being hard to come by. He worshipped his family.

We both got the shout to collapse and move that morning, I only had some commercial radio gear and a 9x9 to drop (being RMP) so I was done and dusted with my oppo pretty quick. Got back to Sipovo and heard about an accident, after a while I put two and two together. Went up to the hospital for reasons I can't explain. When I heard he'd died I sat down and wrote his wife a letter trying to give her a picture of his last week and to assure her that she and his kids were never far away from his mind.

Hardest letter I've ever written. I think she tried to phone the Police Station in Sipovo but I could never get the courage up to speak to her.

If she reads this, I'm sorry for that act of rank cowardice. He loved you though. Deeply.

Requiescat in Pace.
Hi I’m Mandy Marks wife. Just refound this site as not been on it a long time. I still have the letter you wrote and can I say it gave me comfort knowing he wasn’t on his own. 23 years this November since we lost him. Our kids are Vicky now 24 and Tom who’s 23 and marks double except he 6ft 2.
I went over to Bosnia April 97 to the memorial and I do believe you’d been sent home with a broken leg or something similar.
Please reply to this if you see it

Latest Threads