Roll of Honour for Bosnia?

Discussion in 'Bosnia/Former Yugoslavia (Op GRAPPLE, Op RESOLUTE)' started by bigjarofwasps, Feb 22, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi Guys,

Can anyone point me in the right direction for a link for a roll of honour for British soldiers who died during the Bosnia Conflict. My reason is I`m trying to find details on a guy who was killed in an RTC, in 1996, when his vehicle rolled off a cliff. I think he was in the Green Howards or the Green Jackets, but I can`t be sure. There was also a guy very badly injuried during this accident. Can anyone help?

BJOW.

2. I was in Mrkonjic Grad on the net when that came over. I'm sure it was late '96. If memory serves me correctly it wasn't too far from the Bus depot, the vehicle was a 432 and one of the guys was TA. I know a little about what happened to them but it's not for public consumption, so please PM with the nature of the information you're after and who you are.

3. Cheers B2N, I was just about to add that I thought he was TA, and that they were in some sort of armoured vehicle. I`ll PM you know. Cheers for your reply.

BJOW.

4. General Melchett

General Melchett LE Moderator

If it's the same incident there is a memorial on the bridge where it happened. Small black marble plaque on a plinth.

5. It was late November, early December '96. Guy was Green Howards (TA?). Killed by a penetrating injury from his own weapon.

6. Hi Guys,

This is the incident, but does anyone know what his name was? Or the guy who was with him?

7. That was the fella....was going to leave that sort of detail out of the thread but oh well, done now. Sad incident indeed.

8. There a roll of honour for all british deaths in bosnia at BLMF in banja luka. It was made by a reservist CSM. Has names dates and unit on it.

9. Apologies. Never read your post through thoroughly.

10. anyone got a photo or link, or know of anyone serving there that can take a photo?

11. Found this but no mention of any Green Howards-

The Roll of Honour for

Bosnia

The Royal Gloucestshire, Berkshire and Wiltshire Regiment
    PTE B. HINTON - PTE MD DOWDELL - PTE PR ARMSTRONG - PTE CM TURNER

Royal Engineers EOD
    CPL BARNEY WARBURTON - SAPPER BARRIE NICHOLAS - CPL PETER BRADLEY.

Army Air Corps
    SGT DAVID JOHN KINSLEY - CAPT PHILIP CHARLES HENRY JARVIS - CPL CHRISTOPHER JOHN ADDIS

Royal Anglian
    CAPTAIN WORMALD - ROBERT BALDWIN

Para / SAS
    TROOPER FERGUS MCINDOE RENNIE - SERGEANT ROBERT DAVID LYON (Para)

Royal Welch Fusiliers
    L/CPL WAYNE EDWARDS

The Royal Regiment of Wales
    LANCE CORPORAL WILLIAM NICHOLAS VANSTONE - PRIVATE RICHARD ALLAN LLOYD

King's Own Royal Border Regiment
    PRIVATE PAUL GEORGE CRELLIN

The Prince of Wales's Own Yorkshire Regiment (PWO)
    LANCE CORPORAL STEVEN MARK THIRLWELL

The Light Infantry
    PRIVATE SIMON LESLIE FOX

http://www.palacebarracksmemorialgarden.org/Roll%20of%20Honour.htm#Bosnia

• Like Like x 1
  12. Private Simon Leslie Fox, The Light Infantry (LI), aged 24, died as a result of a gun shot wound in Kulen Vakuf, Bosnia and Herzegowina, on 28 February 1996

13. That can't be the full/comprehensive list surely? As I remember it, there were well over 30 fatalities, both KIA and accidents during Op Grapple . Op Resolute.

14. Is this our guy?

Lance Corporal Steven Mark Thirlwell, The Prince of Wales's Own Yorkshire Regiment (PWO), aged 26, died as a result of a road traffic accident near Cold Hussar, Bosnia and Herzegowina, on 4 November 1996.