Roll of Honour Bomb Disposal

Discussion in 'Sappers' started by FOSSIL, Aug 5, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Assistance required!!! We are trying to extend our Roll of Honour from being just a list of names. See attachment for a finished article. What we need is some help getting photos of graves/memorials, willing to do some near you Counties and Countries in need are Somerset, Algeria, Belguim, Berkshire, Buckinghamshire, Cornwall, Devon, Essex, France, Hertfordshire, London, Middlesex, Beirut, Burma, Thailand, Suffolk, Surrey, Wales, Warwickshire, Worcestershire, Yorkshire, Tunisia, Cumbria, Staffordshire, Norfolk, Lancashire, Notts, Bedfordshire, Hertfordshire, Leicestershire, Ireland North and South, Libya, Durham, India.

Any help grearfully accepted.

Fos

Attached Files:

2. I live in Bedfordshire.

3. Looks like a very good idea to me.

If it is possible to trace relatives it would also be nice to include a photo, if one is available, I am sure they would be proud to supply it.

I live in N. W. Surrey, close to the borders with Hampshire, and frequently visit Portsmouth. If you can point me in the direction of any graves you would like a photo of I will see what I can do.

4. Hi
    PM's should be on the way with details, all offers of assistance gratefully accepted.

Thanks

Pete

5. Hi All
    At Gundolphs suggestion a few mentions on the Roll of Honour. Still plenty of areas needing volunteers so check it out at http://groups.msn.com/33EngineerRegiment
    Some further news, through this project a BD re-enactment groups research into a incident at Hook in Hampshire has resulted in a small memorial service being held and a plaque being placed in the railway stations waiting room. A hotel in Coventry standing on the site of an incident is in the near future going to dedicate a memorial for those who died there. We have a copy of a George Medal citation given to us and from a son a copy of the military inquiry into his dads death. In one church yard where all graves bar one are RAF its been a reminder to the church people that a BD grave is there and should be remembered on Remembrance day. Some stones are in need of repair and their locations have been passed onto the War Graves Commission others are missing and we are seeing what can be done to have them replaced. Local volunteers have taken on the task of keeping some neglected graves in good order or chased the vicars to get the churchyards cleaned up. BLOODY GOOD RESULTS, THANKS TO ALL INVOLVED

Pete

6. Thanks Pete,

It was also good to see a mention in the RE Association Bomb Disposal Branch Bulletin for August, the passing of Lt Col (Retd) George Styles GC, former CATO for the RAOC who passed away on 1st August, 2006.

A mark of respect from one Army BD Branch to another, away from the usual RE v RLC BD Banter...

7. Al
    The rivalry between both groups will long continue, however on the whole i believe and have found by personal experience thay there is mutual respect between us all.

Lt Col Styles passing being put in the Branch newsletter was excellent and i know the practice of joint service tributes will continue.

All the bst

Pete

8. Cheers am in contact with this project and arrangements are being agreed to help each other thanks for suggesting it

Pete

9. Thanks Flamingo,

That's an interesting site you placed there...

10. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

Just sent an offer of assistance to FOSSIL...give me a shout if you want it.

S_R

11. me too....message sent :wink:

12. Checked it out will do some further looking tonight and contact them thaks

13. Thanks PM on the way