Roll of Honour Bomb Disposal

Assistance required!!! We are trying to extend our Roll of Honour from being just a list of names. See attachment for a finished article. What we need is some help getting photos of graves/memorials, willing to do some near you Counties and Countries in need are Somerset, Algeria, Belguim, Berkshire, Buckinghamshire, Cornwall, Devon, Essex, France, Hertfordshire, London, Middlesex, Beirut, Burma, Thailand, Suffolk, Surrey, Wales, Warwickshire, Worcestershire, Yorkshire, Tunisia, Cumbria, Staffordshire, Norfolk, Lancashire, Notts, Bedfordshire, Hertfordshire, Leicestershire, Ireland North and South, Libya, Durham, India.

Any help grearfully accepted.

Fos

Attachments

Looks like a very good idea to me.

If it is possible to trace relatives it would also be nice to include a photo, if one is available, I am sure they would be proud to supply it.

I live in N. W. Surrey, close to the borders with Hampshire, and frequently visit Portsmouth. If you can point me in the direction of any graves you would like a photo of I will see what I can do.

Hi
PM's should be on the way with details, all offers of assistance gratefully accepted.

Thanks

Pete

Hi All
At Gundolphs suggestion a few mentions on the Roll of Honour. Still plenty of areas needing volunteers so check it out at http://groups.msn.com/33EngineerRegiment
Some further news, through this project a BD re-enactment groups research into a incident at Hook in Hampshire has resulted in a small memorial service being held and a plaque being placed in the railway stations waiting room. A hotel in Coventry standing on the site of an incident is in the near future going to dedicate a memorial for those who died there. We have a copy of a George Medal citation given to us and from a son a copy of the military inquiry into his dads death. In one church yard where all graves bar one are RAF its been a reminder to the church people that a BD grave is there and should be remembered on Remembrance day. Some stones are in need of repair and their locations have been passed onto the War Graves Commission others are missing and we are seeing what can be done to have them replaced. Local volunteers have taken on the task of keeping some neglected graves in good order or chased the vicars to get the churchyards cleaned up. BLOODY GOOD RESULTS, THANKS TO ALL INVOLVED

Pete

Thanks Pete,

It was also good to see a mention in the RE Association Bomb Disposal Branch Bulletin for August, the passing of Lt Col (Retd) George Styles GC, former CATO for the RAOC who passed away on 1st August, 2006.

A mark of respect from one Army BD Branch to another, away from the usual RE v RLC BD Banter...

Al
The rivalry between both groups will long continue, however on the whole i believe and have found by personal experience thay there is mutual respect between us all.

Lt Col Styles passing being put in the Branch newsletter was excellent and i know the practice of joint service tributes will continue.

All the bst

Pete

Onetup3 said:
You might want to try these people, they have photographed most of the wargraves in the UK and a good number worldwide.

http://www.britishwargraves.org.uk/
Cheers am in contact with this project and arrangements are being agreed to help each other thanks for suggesting it

Pete

Sympathetic_Reaction said:
Just sent an offer of assistance to FOSSIL...give me a shout if you want it.

S_R
Thanks PM on the way

Got photos from Christchurch Cosham cenetery on Sunday, will post as soon as I can work out how to do it. Nice church and nice cemetery.

Do you know what happened on 14/03/41 because we seem to have almost a full section killed on the same day, Sergeant, Corporal and three Sappers.

me also Pete...will upload today and send you majority from Liverpool :wink:

News update
388 of the 632 graves and memorials photographed. So thanks to all who have and are helping out, still leaves us with a few to ge through so hese a list of those outstanding, some may have volunteers looking into doing them but im sure they will be gratefull for some help. So please one more push and see what we can get done by the years end

Cheers
Pete

Berkshire.

Earley Churchyard (1). Sunningdale, (1).

Bedfordshire.

Potton (1).

Cheshire.

Cheadle and Gateley (2). Landican (1). Heswall (1). Wallasey (1).

Derbyshire.

Clay Cross (1). Sutton (1).

Devon.

Dartmouth (1). (11).Tiverton (2). Plymouth (1).

Durham.

Bishop Aukland (1). Easington (1).

Essex.

City of London Manor Park East Ham (3). Clacton (1). East Ham (1). Leytonstone (1). Loughton Manor Park (1). (1). Romford (2). Plaistow (2). West Hanningfield (1).

Gloucestershire.

Bristol (1).

Hampshire.

Liss (1).

Ireland.

Newry (1).

Lancashire.

Blackburn Cemetery. (1) Bootle (1). Calderbrook (1). Bury (1). Crompton (1). Deane Bolton (1). Earby (1). Halliwell (1). Knowsley (1). Liverpool (1) (1). Manchester (4 Cemeterys) (17). Oldham 2 Cemeterys (1) +(1). Pemberton (1). Preston (1). Radcliffe (2). Rivington (1). Salford (2 Cemeterys) (4). Stretford (1). Stubbins (1). Sutton (1). Trawden (1). Wrightington (1).

Leicestershire.

Dunton Bassett (1). Leicester (1). Wigston (1).

London Area.

Edmonton Middlesex (1). Deptford/Lewisham 2 Cemeteries (3). West Norwood(3). Camberwell (1). Nunhead (1).

Norfolk.

Burnham Norton (1).Norwich (1).

Nottinghamshire.

Kingsway (1).

Northumberland.

Newcastle upon Tyne (1).

Scotland.

Blackford (1). Cruden, Aberdeenshire (1)Edinburgh (2) (2). Glasgow (1). Dumfries (1). Kilmarnock (1). Cruden Aberdeenshire (1). Kirkton (1). Glassary (1).

Somerset.

Bristol (1). Frome (1). Haycombe Bath (2). Glastonbury (1). Taunton (1). Weston Super Mare (2).

Plymouth(1).

Surrey.

Bandon Hill Wallington (1). Croydon (1). Esher (1). Mortlake Cemetery (1). Mortlake Crematorium (1). Kingswood (1). Thames Ditton (1).

Suffolk.

Iclingham (1).

Staffordshire.

Cannock (3).Walsall (1).

Warwickshire.

Coventry (1). Birmingham (6 Cemeterys) (7).

Erdington |(1).

Yorkshire.

Aston-Cum-Lyne (1). Fulford (1).Medomsley (1) Dewsbury (1). Ecclesall (1). Edgerton (1). Leeds(2 cemeterys), (3). Rotherham (1). Sheffield (3 Cemeterys) (3). Shipley (1).

Wales.

Llanfairfechan (1). Llanfechell (1). Polmont (1). Renfrew (1). Risca (1).

Aberavon (1). Criccieth (1). Llanddeinolen (1). Llanelly (1).Pembroke (9). Penrhyndeudraeth (1). Pontrhydyfen (1). Skewen (1). Newport (1).

Overseas.

Algeria (2). Belguim (1 Cemeterys) (2). Egypt (4 Cemetrys) (7). France (7 Cemeterys) (6). India (2), Lebanese Republic (1). Myanner (2). Norway (1). Thailand (1Cemeterys) (1). Tunisia (2 Cemeterys) (2).Cyprus (2). Libya (2 Cemeterys) (8). Germany (2). Greece (2 Cemeterys) (2). Italy (14 Cemeterys) (36).

I can do Norfolk and Suffolk. Where is the Thailand one? I have a mate who lives on Koh Samui who is the Honoury British Consul for the Island he might be able to help.

Just let me have the locations and I will do them next weekend