• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Roll Matts

Go on tour and get one of the new ones. :D

NSN: 8465-99-310-9203 THERMAL INFLATABLE

EDIT: To add NSN

The fold up dutch(?) one is quite neat. Costs about 6 pound from a decent surplus store.

Just used a 3/4 length Highlander self inflating roll mat on the ground when it went down to -1c a couple of weekends ago, and I was warm all night and slept well. Good bit of kit.

The Thermarests are good if expensive, self-inflating mats. They do tend to be a bit bilky though. Thermarest also do something called a Z rest and that used to fold up very well. They were called Ridgerests but there is also a folding version. I'm sure that they used to make two thicknesses as well because I used one of the heavy duty ones when I did a bit of mountaineering LINKY
Thermarest also have these now. Never seen them before - looks like the bloke in picture is about to blow a goose :lol: CLICKY

I left a semi inflatable one (black) in the sun in Sierra leone it went bang and turned into a big black zepplin. uber inflated

Are the next gen ones better

thegimp said:
I left a semi inflatable one (black) in the sun in Sierra leone it went bang and turned into a big black zepplin. uber inflated

Are the next gen ones better
I never had any trouble in Morocco or Mauritania but then I never left my mat outside the tent unless i was slumped on top of it.

If you're really looking to travel light, I've had a survival mat for years. Its 3/4 length but only 2 or 3mm thick foam with a metallised reflective side. It folds up to almost nothing.
I can't remember where I got mine, and unfortunately, the only place I can find them on tinternet is a caravanners site.

http://www.towsure.com/product/1949-_inchminipak_inch_Aluminised_Survival_Mat

Its not very much better than nothing, but it does make lightweight 3 season bivvys bearable.

back on topic

The Airic mats from Alpkit have a good reputation. I haven't used one myself so I don't know how durable they are. ALPKIT LINKY

Incidentally, its alleged that both Thermarests and the VauDe mats are made in the same factory.

Beware when "cutting down for size" a standard issue mat. I mangaged to trim mine right down, almost exact body width and length ways from top of shoulders to just below my arrse. Imagine how I chuffed I was about being able to fit my roll mat inside my bergen.
It never occurred to me that my calves would still be in contact with the (very) cold Dartmoor ground. One of the coldest and longest nights under the stars ever....

BBear

LE
Kit Reviewer
There is nowt wrong with having a roll mat bungeed onto the front of your bergan...!

To be fair lads, the issue roll mat isn't that bad. I picked up a thermarest which, when conditions allow, is an awesome bit of kit. But for wet, windy, messy and busy conditions, you can't go too far wrong with the issue roll mat...

I know the dutch or germans do the folding up one, but these are very thin and don't do a lot for you.

I'm currently using http://www.rvops.co.uk/sleeping-cooking-76/sleeping-systems-28/multimat-length-1538.html

Good bit of kit, robust, still usable even If It gets a puncture, and the stuff sack It comes with turns insideout to make a fleece pillow for those that enjoy a little luxory In the harbour area.

The only negative is that I've never been able to get it back into said stuff sack, but I was never good a sticking large things into small holes...

BBear said:
There is nowt wrong with having a roll mat bungeed onto the front of your bergan...!
Personally, I think there is, especially if you aren't using a bergen cover type thing. The less crap outside, the better.

This could start a whole new thread........

Batko said:
BBear said:
Personally, I think there is, especially if you aren't using a bergen cover type thing. The less crap outside, the better.

This could start a whole new thread........
I agree It looks better not to have the rollmat on the outside of the bergen but theres little other places to put It If you're using the issued one.

Doews no one go down the kit makers and get the issue one covered and chopped/chopped and covered any more