Roles within the Grenadiers

Hi everyone,

I am wanting to join the Grenadiers and was wondering as they are a Light Role infantry regiment is that all that i would experience?

Would there be chances of being armoured or mechanised for a while throughout a career?

I would also like to know what roles there are once at regiment as an infantry soldier, for example a medic, sniper, Anti-tank soldier or Grenadier.

Cheers

*Any other information on the guards and how they operate would be brilliant!*

D

Deleted 100463

Hi everyone,

I am wanting to join the Grenadiers and was wondering as they are a Light Role infantry regiment is that all that i would experience?

Would there be chances of being armoured or mechanised for a while throughout a career?

I would also like to know what roles there are once at regiment as an infantry soldier, for example a medic, sniper, Anti-tank soldier or Grenadier.

Cheers

*Any other information on the guards and how they operate would be brilliant!*
There is also the chance to attend P Coy and be part of the Guards Parachute Platoon.

The role the regiment takes is up to the big boys, and I wouldn’t worry about it too much.
Get your training out of the way and get to your battalion. Then keep your eyes and ears open and have a go at whatever comes your way. Some things may not seem like an opportunity at the time!
Whatever happens, I wish you all the best on your chosen career.

D

Deleted 166591

Great attitude.

Continue you research the Gren Guards. Plenty of great resources online to help with that.
A good start may be getting eyes on their regimental journal- the Grenadier Gazette.

Here is the 2019 issue that is available online for free - https://www.grengds.com/uploads/files/TheGrenadierGazette_2019.pdf

In a nutshell though with regards to opportunities in a light inf battalion. Probably best to manage your expectations and acknowledge that you will start off by joining a platoon in one of their rifle companies. Rifle Coys are the backbone of any inf battalion and they will have a decent enough forecast of events. Expect to do lots of exercises on various UK training areas throughout the year and potentially an oversea exercise (OXT) somewhere. Jungle, Kenya, Jordan for example. Being a guardsman I’m sure you’ll have the chance to do a fair bit of ceremonial shite too.

After a bit of time you may want to look at the various cadres that will be open to you within your battalion. You’ll have the likes of Machine gun platoon, Recce/patrols, Mortars, Sniper etc etc. They often run annual cadres for these support coy roles. Of course, you’ll also have the opportunity to apply for external roles, after a few years, such as - Pathfinder platoon or UKSF should that flick your switch.
You’ll also potentially get posted out of the battalion once you are NCO. For example ITC screw, IBS etc.

Plenty going on in the infantry but also a fair bit of bullshit. It’s what you make of it that counts. Enjoy

(An official tweet to wet your appetite at roles within a battalion outside of rifle coys)

Sttrory

War Hero
I plan on accepting everything that comes my way. Probably sounds naive now but i truly do want to make a career in the armed forces something i can look back on and be proud of.

I know a lad in the Lancers who is testing the new Ajax vehicle, sounds like a cracking time if i'm honest.

I hope there is opportunity for postings like that in the infantry on different bits of kit.

Cheers for the vote of confidence.
Has the lad gone deaf testing ajax? But good luck in your career path

@NuggetBks

As for the opportunities available i understand that Infantry is as you said what you make of it. I'm guessing you give it a go and see what suits.

Funnily enough that photo is one that caught my eye, recce definitely seems something with the perfect balance of enjoyment and challenge. Though, I'm guessing being a light role regiment the recce is on foot as opposed to mounted

Thanks for commenting
There is loads of good stuff you can do in the GREN GDS. You may also get to "stag on" outside palaces from time to time.

ACAB

LE
I plan on accepting everything that comes my way. Probably sounds naive now but i truly do want to make a career in the armed forces something i can look back on and be proud of.

I know a lad in the Lancers who is testing the new Ajax vehicle, sounds like a cracking time if i'm honest.

I hope there is opportunity for postings like that in the infantry on different bits of kit.

Cheers for the vote of confidence.
Read a bit more about the Ajax vehicle and then return to the site.

Personally, I spent 12 years with 2nd Battalion Scots Guards and don't regret one moment of it.

Dwarf

LE
Book Reviewer

It's a couple of years ago, still wearing DPM, but you should get an idea of what they are all about, especially the bullshit and tick-tocking outside palaces but contrasted with the more green stuff. You'll get a picture that may help.

I have never been a guardsman, but I have met quite a few. One of the perks they mention on public duties, is female admirers approaching the guardsman and putting her phone number into his pocket. One told me he got that many numbers he couldn't remember which were the good looking ones.
When he turned up for the date, suited and booted, she was disappointed that he wasn't wearing his red tunic and bearskin.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer

It's a couple of years ago, still wearing DPM, but you should get an idea of what they are all about, especially the bullshit and tick-tocking outside palaces but contrasted with the more green stuff. You'll get a picture that may help.
“COOPER BAD ORDER SIR”. He’d have been bloody locked up back in my day, state of his coat as well as his tweeds, scruffy sod.

Latest Threads