Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Roles in the military: What do you guys think? :)

It's been a while since I last posted on ARRSE and in that time I realised that I was over-complicating things so I've come back with a new approach and wondered if I could get some advice.
I know I want to serve after completing my degree in Physics however I am not sure what roles to look at. I want to be able to do something which will give me good life skills and maybe a trade while also being exciting and challenging - physically, mentally and intellectually.

In the recruiting office I got told to look at the Int Corps because you could learn a language but it looks like a lot of that sort of work is done in a dark room with no windows. That isn't the sort of life I want in the military.
I also got recommended the the royal engineers but looking at the corps' jobs on offer they seem like 'technical' jobs rather than engineering as I know it. I don't understand how Bricklaying can come under that bracket =-|

I did look at the Infantry and the paras appealed for a while because I think I would feel like I was doing a better service if I 'saw some action (stupid and juvenile but true!) however I don't want to feel like I'm sort of wasting myself. The para's have a reputation of being... slow?... and if that stereotype lived up to to it's name I don't think I could cope for very long :D

Sorry about the length and I appreciate any advice you can offer me :)

Cheers guys!

I know I want to serve after completing my degree in Physics however I am not sure what roles to look at. I want to be able to do something which will give me good life skills and maybe a trade while also being exciting and challenging - physically, mentally and intellectually.
Starbucks are recruiting.

Well calling the Paras "slow" is a great way to start your career. There is just as many "slow" people as there is "fast" in any of the regiments and corps. As an officer you can pretty much kiss goodbye to "action" if you join any of the corps. (Notice how I say pretty much and not completely). If you want to command a platoon of Infanteers then join the infantry. If you want to gain academic qualifications and transferable skills then join a corps.

On a side note, with the draw down of Afghanistan just around the corner, "action" will be hard to come by for a while.

But hey, Im just a full screw, what do I know. How did I even end up in the officer forum.

Right. If you want to do "engineering", join the REME. Ask your careers advisor about the various technical trades in the REME (there are lots of them). Broadly speaking, the REME are responsible for everything from pulling stuck armoured vehicles out of holes/lakes to fixing weapons, vehicles and aircraft. There are REME soldiers attached to every part of the army and most will do much of their work "in the field", so depending on your trade, you could go to almost any part of the army (including supporting airborne forces if that flicks your switch).

I'm not in the REME by the way, it would just seem the logical choice given the details in your post. However, just check that your degree is acceptable to REME. It used to be just Engineering degrees, but I think they now take some sciences as well (including physics).

The para's have a reputation of being... slow?... and if that stereotype lived up to to it's name I don't think I could cope for very long :D

No. That's what other units like to tell each other. Parachute Regiment recruits on the whole have higher IQ levels than other infantry units. And that's a proven fact. Many who join the infantry do so because they haven't got the qualifications to do anything else (I said many, not all). Most who join the Paras do so because that is what they wanted in the first place whether they have no qualifications or a Masters Degree. Parachute Regiment soldiers are usually within the top third on career courses. You can't achieve top results if you're a thick **** (And yes, there are some thick cnuts in the Paras as well).

RE? Bricklaying? Please don't join, the Gunners and REME are always desperate however.

No. That's what other units like to tell each other. Parachute Regiment recruits on the whole have higher IQ levels than other infantry units. And that's a proven fact. Many who join the infantry do so because they haven't got the qualifications to do anything else (I said many, not all). Most who join the Paras do so because that is what they wanted in the first place whether they have no qualifications or a Masters Degree. Parachute Regiment soldiers are usually within the top third on career courses. You can't achieve top results if you're a thick **** (And yes, there are some thick cnuts in the Paras as well).

I worked with an ex para lad who was by far the thickest human being I had ever met.

Then I discovered The Pioneers and all was forgiven.

Every walk of life has its dim wits. Look at this threads OP for example.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

It's been a while since I last posted on ARRSE and in that time I realised that I was over-complicating things so I've come back with a new approach and wondered if I could get some advice.

In the recruiting office I got told to look at the Int Corps because you could learn a language but it looks like a lot of that sort of work is done in a dark room with no windows. That isn't the sort of life I want in the military.
I also got recommended the the royal engineers but looking at the corps' jobs on offer they seem like 'technical' jobs rather than engineering as I know it. I don't understand how Bricklaying can come under that bracket =-|

I did look at the Infantry and the paras appealed for a while because I think I would feel like I was doing a better service if I 'saw some action (stupid and juvenile but true!) however I don't want to feel like I'm sort of wasting myself. The para's have a reputation of being... slow?... and if that stereotype lived up to to it's name I don't think I could cope for very long :D

Sorry about the length and I appreciate any advice you can offer me :)

Cheers guys!

You're still over complicating things. If you want to go the officer route then concentrate on passing AOSB and getting to Sandhurst. Choice of corps or regiment comes much much later. By which time you will have had significant exposure to the various cap badges and know what it is you'd like to do.

Lots of people enter Sandhurst aiming to join one corps and end up in another, some through choice some not.

I also got recommended the the royal engineers but looking at the corps' jobs on offer they seem like 'technical' jobs rather than engineering as I know it.

You've not heard of civil engineering then? Probably best you stay in academia.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

No one on here can make that decision for you. If that is what you are after, you may wish to join as a Pte to start with, then work your way up.

I worked with an ex para lad who was by far the thickest human being I had ever met.

Even your 'thick' Para colleague would have had to pass a BARB test to enlist. There are many civvies out there who can't even accomplish that! Obviously you've never met them.

I'll wholeheartedly agree with the above. As an ex Bootneck I'll say the same for the Corps. You'll find more private soldiers/marines with degrees in 3 commando brigade and the parachute Regt than anywhere else. You'll be told different by people that dont know but hey, that's the way it works, and yes, there's also some seriously thick cnuts in the Paras as well.