Role Fitness Test Alternative RFT (A) - What does it entail?

I was looking at this earlier: New Physical Employment Standards for the Army and noticed this paragraph

STANDARD FOR ARMY RESERVE GCC
For Reserve GCC personnel, the in-service Mandatory Annual Training Test will be the Role Fitness Test Alternative (RFT (A)) – which replaces the Annual Fitness Test.
The RFT (A) is a gym based predictor of RFT (S) success and addresses the unique challenges of the Reserves. It is a critical pass/fail test for Reserve GCC personnel and will be required to gain the Certificate of Efficiency.
Reserve personnel who deploy or attend career courses will be required to pass the Regular RFT (S) when it is the appropriate physical standard for the role.
What I can't find is an explanation of what this entails. I'm interested to learn which gym based tests can predict success in the new RFT (S).

Anyone here able to tell me?

T_T

oppoStu

War Hero
I was looking at this earlier: New Physical Employment Standards for the Army and noticed this paragraph

What I can't find is an explanation of what this entails. I'm interested to learn which gym based tests can predict success in the new RFT (S).

T_T
Not sure if it is different for reserves, but the new physical fitness standards are below...

Army details new gender-free physical fitness standards for combat roles

"Under the new system soldiers will have to do a 4km march carrying 40kg of equipment in less than 40 minutes, followed by a 2km march carrying 25kg of equipment in under 15 minutes. Soldiers will then have to complete a fire and move exercise in less than five minutes, followed by a 20m drag of a 110kg weight."

"They will then have to carry two water cans weighing 22kg each over 240m in under four minutes, followed by lifting a 70kg weight and holding it for three seconds. Finally soldiers will have to carry bags weighing 20kg 20 times over a distance of 30m."

Just_plain_you

Old-Salt

T_T
Unfortunately the MATT2 documentation contains this:

Copyright This work is copyright and intellectual rights for this publication belong exclusively to the Ministry of Defence (MOD). No material or information contained in this publication should be released outside MOD establishments except as authorised by the sponsor and the MOD where appropriate.

Security This document is issued for the information of such persons who need to know its contents in the course of their official duties. Any person finding this document should hand it first to a British Forces unit or to a British police station for its safe return to the MINISTRY OF DEFENCE (MOD), D MOD SY, LONDON, SWA 2HB.

MoleBath

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Not sure if it is different for reserves, but the new physical fitness standards are below...

Army details new gender-free physical fitness standards for combat roles

"Under the new system soldiers will have to do a 4km march carrying 40kg of equipment in less than 40 minutes, followed by a 2km march carrying 25kg of equipment in under 15 minutes. Soldiers will then have to complete a fire and move exercise in less than five minutes, followed by a 20m drag of a 110kg weight."

"They will then have to carry two water cans weighing 22kg each over 240m in under four minutes, followed by lifting a 70kg weight and holding it for three seconds. Finally soldiers will have to carry bags weighing 20kg 20 times over a distance of 30m."
Will yeomanry units be allowed Pimms filled cans followed by dragging a simulated drunken subaltern ?

Unfortunately the MATT2 documentation contains this:

Copyright This work is copyright and intellectual rights for this publication belong exclusively to the Ministry of Defence (MOD). No material or information contained in this publication should be released outside MOD establishments except as authorised by the sponsor and the MOD where appropriate.

Security This document is issued for the information of such persons who need to know its contents in the course of their official duties. Any person finding this document should hand it first to a British Forces unit or to a British police station for its safe return to the MINISTRY OF DEFENCE (MOD), D MOD SY, LONDON, SWA 2HB.

You're right! Please make sure to give the MoD a stiff talking to for publishing the rest of the tests on the internet (as seen in the link in my original post). That was very, very naughty of them indeed.

potter

Old-Salt

T_T
Delightfully, the Apr 19 MATT 2 (issue 11) contains no reference to RFT(A), nor to any gym based alternatives to RFT(S). Must be part of the "still evolving" understanding of how to apply a new fitness testing regime to the Reserve.

ETA: There *is* a RFT(S)(interim) for Reserve GCC personnel, but the tasks therein are definitely *not* gym based.

Delightfully, the Apr 19 MATT 2 (issue 11) contains no reference to RFT(A), nor to any gym based alternatives to RFT(S). Must be part of the "still evolving" understanding of how to apply a new fitness testing regime to the Reserve.
Cheers Potter, it'll be interesting to see what they decide on. Both with regards to the content of the tests themselves, and with regards to this sentence "It is a critical pass/fail test for Reserve GCC personnel and will be required to gain the Certificate of Efficiency. "

Looking forward to seeing what the non-ground close combat RFT turns out to be too.

potter

Old-Salt
Cheers Potter, it'll be interesting to see what they decide on. Both with regards to the content of the tests themselves, and with regards to this sentence "It is a critical pass/fail test for Reserve GCC personnel and will be required to gain the Certificate of Efficiency. "

Looking forward to seeing what the non-ground close combat RFT turns out to be too.
Others will probably know better, but I think that this marks a transition for differentiating who does / does not get a CoE - being clearer that certain roles have different pass/fail criteria, as opposed to loosely tying CoE to MATT level and thus to unit role (plus the get-out-of-jail card of the CO's sign-off).

Non-GCC RFT is not due for a couple of years yet, and I'm sure it will need refinement even then!

Just_plain_you

Old-Salt

It remains as the AFT for now...

Latest Threads