'Rogue' US soldier kills Afghans

Discussion in 'Afghanistan' started by Wildstabinthedark, Mar 11, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. 'Rogue' US soldier kills Afghans

A US soldier in Afghanistan has killed 10 civilians and wounded five in Kandahar province after suffering a breakdown, officials say.

12 month tours are not a good idea. Discuss....

2. Makes a nice change from the other way round I suppose.

• Like Like x 5
  3. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

Kneejerk reactions are not a good idea. Discuss...

How many people have deployed on 12 month tours in Iraq and Afghanistan? I don't know but I'd hazard that with repeat tours it's over a million. How many have had a breakdown and gone postal? One.

4. Shooting civvies is a bit of a knee jerk, I'll give you that. But it's a few more than one. Do a search and you'll find all sorts (people throwing grenades into HQ tents etc).

I think it's a tricky balance. 12 months gets better continuity & engagement with locals etc. that said, I came back from my last 6 monther (8 really when you include all the PDT) feeling utterly ball bagged.

5. Agreed. 6 month tours remove the problem completely. If we were to switch to the 12 month model, I can only assume we'd have blokes getting mashed on vodka and bayoneting kids and whatnot.

6. They sure its a US soldier and not XE/Blackwater or whatever they are called now?

7. It is a lovely sunny day outside today, I may attempt my first grass cutting of the year. Discuss

8. It's not too bad, at least he didn't burn any Korans.

9. Still won't go down well. Afghans will be outraged that an American soldier killed innocent Afghan women and children; that job should be done by their own countrymen/families.

"They come over here, taking our murders..."

• Like Like x 2
  10. BBC News - US soldier kills Afghan civilians in Kandahar

According to the Beeb he's a Staff Sergeant. Wandered off at 3am and opened up in some houses. Could be 17 dead, including women and children. I expect there'll be a bunch of angry rioting Afghans adding to the pile already pissed off about that book burning thing.

11. Bit harsh mate!

Have to wonder about the Seppo's though.

12. Well if they killed any boys they might.Just women and girls probably don't care.

13. Do they have 'Outrage Buses' in Afghan??...and will they get full over this incident?.........

• Like Like x 1
  14. we've all had days like that. he probably got porridge in his rat pack that day, that used to break me.

• Like Like x 1