Rogue SAS unit accused of executing civilians in Afghanistan

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Whiskybreath, Jul 2, 2017.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The recent General Election result would suggest otherwise.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. It depends on your point of view. Would you rather defeat terrorist organisations at source? Or allow them to prosper and recruit to become a destabilising effect on regional allies and build enough strength to actually become a serious threat to your country?

I'm for the former personally, so is the UN: UN Global Counter-Terrorism Strategy | Counter-Terrorism Implementation Task Force

• Like Like x 2
  3. Baglock

Baglock On ROPs

I agree, but the perception is still there that our interventions have increased the terrorist threat.

4. I'm at a bit of a loss for words here right now.
    I've just been watching daytime tv where an American 'blogger and breast feeding expert' (read that as a look at me look at me woman who has breast fed her children), who was saying how she has enjoyed showing her kids breast feeding online. One of the kids looked about three years old and reminded me of the 'bitty' sketch on little Britain.
    Anyway, she was being interviewed and 'as if by magic' started breastfeeding her baby just as the interview started!
    The point of the interview is that in her expert opinion it's fine for women to breastfeedwhile having sex.

It's fair to say that I often despair at the internet celebrity cult!

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Baglock

Baglock On ROPs

Thank feck we're British :)

6. And don't get our tits out.

7. "and a cup of tea"

Fixed

8. Except that the European Convention on Human Rights, and therefore the Human Rights Act, specifically excludes military conscription from its prohibition of slavery and forced labour:
    "b. any service of a military character or, in case of conscientious objectors in countries where they are recognised, service exacted instead of compulsory military service;
    c. any service exacted in case of an emergency or calamity threatening the life or well-being of the community;"

The reintroduction of conscription in the United Kingdom could be extremely problematic, obviously depending on the circumstances, but the Human Rights Act would not be an obstacle, and the law on conscientious objection would be basically the same as it was in WW2. Note that the ECHR does not even require signatory states to accept conscientious objection at all, although of course the UK does.

• Informative Informative x 1

9. 'C' is where the problem would come.
    The right to have a happy/family life would be used as well as a challenge to whether the threat was a threat to the persons community.

Look at a devout ISIS supporting muslim in the UK. Would he consider ISIS a threat to his community?

10. I don't agree that any court would go along with your definition of "community" - i.e. allowing the subject individual to define "community" for themselves. It doesn't matter anyway, because (c) doesn't restrict (b), which permits states to require compulsory military service.

I only included (c) to show that the ECHR allows states considerable powers which the UK does not currently use. Apologies for any confusion. To repeat, whatever other difficulties there might be, existing human rights law would not be the problem in the event of the state wishing to reintroduce compulsory military service in any circumstances, let alone in an emergency.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  11. I agree on that, but that comes down to the 'information war' which we are losing on a number of fronts, be it politically or militarily. People actually believe some of the stuff propagated on RT, Sputnik et al.

Social media much the same. People are more concerned about who Cheryl is shacked up with this week than what is going on in Mosul for example.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Baglock

Baglock On ROPs

As @Slime hilariouslymentioned, some people are more interested in celeb breast feeders than real world issues

• Like Like x 1
  13. You havent heard the half of it!
    Loose women is on now.........and I'm banned from shouting at the TV!

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. Baglock

Baglock On ROPs

A more wretched bunch of old harridans, I know not

15. Blood hell I

tick ZZaa.png