ARRSE is supported by the advertisements on it, so if you use an adblocker please consider helping us by starting an Ad-Free subscription.

Rogue SAS unit accused of executing civilians in Afghanistan

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Whiskybreath, Jul 2, 2017.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Go ahead and bust a blood vessel: Fury as terrorist gets £250,000 legal aid handout to FIGHT deportation out of UK

2. @Charlie_Cong doesn't agree with my post at #286 but doesn't have the courage of his convictions!

3. A similar issue is emerging in Australia too:

Australian soldiers accused of covering up killing of Afghan boy

“Ultimately the behaviour of some elements of SOTG (Special Operations Task Group) led to the indiscriminate, reckless and avoidable deaths of innocent civilians, caused by an institutional shift in culture that contributed to the decay of moral and ethical values towards armed conflict,” he told the ABC.

“I saw innocent people killed who didn’t need to die or deserve to die, in circumstances that were unwarranted and ultimately avoidable. This behaviour was in direct conflict with what I believed it meant to be a special forces soldier.”

4. Fat finger - Withdrawn.

• Like Like x 1
  5. So in future our chaps have to be non judgemental. And the days of "they don't like it up em" are dead and gone. In place of which we should now use: A jolly good stiff talking to!

6. I wondered about that as you are not normally reticent about putting forward your point of view.

7. What is interesting about the Australian report is the aspect of ‘protectionism’ amongst the SF due to the prosecution of Service members in previous incidents, where mistakes were made, and people were ‘hung out to dry’.

There have been ongoing serious concerns about the prosecution of service members from 'Bloody Sunday’ onwards to the more recent ‘Shiner’ cases, not only amongst the services but certainly amongst the general population many of whom are ex military or direct and extended family. There are obvious cases where there have been obvious incidents, but all too many cases that should never have been bought to trial.

These can and indeed may well have influenced a response of ‘protectionism’ amongst people who lay their life on the line and may well feel that they will be afforded a less than suitable protection against malicious...or simply an unsympathetic process that does not weigh up to the innate sense of fairness that every human has.

8. Responsibility is lacking. Everything is just there if they want it. Always someone around to wipe their arses for them. No real urgency re anything. Someone else will provide. They're entitled and have rights coming out of their ears but very few responsibilities.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Because of what children /teens of previous generations (WWI WWII) did, this generation don't have to be willing or wanting. I don't see too much gratitude from current either

• Like Like x 2
  10. Generally in WW2 Brits were called up (conscripted), so whether they can be bothered is irrelevant if the youth enter the forces in this manner

11. Sadly, its more relevant now than ever before. There was huge social and peer pressure to fight in WW2. In modern times with the human rights act (not yet created for WW2 kids) and kids living in Britain coming from over 100 other countries there could be a large percentage who could legally refuse to fight on conscientious, moral or religeous grounds.

As has been mentioned previously here, there are more British muslim kids signing up to fight with ISIS each year than for the British forces.

• Like Like x 1
  12. We dont when his birthday was but once ABC told us we could get millions of dollars from the boys death he was definitely part of our family and not a Taliban lookout who we were instructed to look after at the threat of dismemberment.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Indeed, but there is no existential threat to the UK and the young can be forgiven for viewing the WoT for a pointless, counter productive waste of time, money and lives.

Perhaps this explains the recruitment problem?

Would you agree?

• Like Like x 1
  14. As far as I know, the European countries that still exercise conscription do not conscript first or second generation migrants. Turkey, Israel and Russia have geographical, racial and religious exemption for conscription and have for some time. South Africa and Rhodesia drew their conscripts from the white minority. I believe we did the same in regard to Northern Ireland; they were allowed to join and many did, but conscription was not practiced. I don't think Canada, the USA or Australia conscripted native people either.

I suppose I'm playing Devil's Advocate here; I broadly agree that recent (20 years?) changes make Great War/WW2 style conscription unworkable in the United Kingdom, but others surmount the challenges you identified.