Rogue boots.

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by sandmanfez, Jul 19, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Do any of you saffas out there have experience of Rogue boots?
    I'm in the market for a lightweight tracker type boot, and these have been suggested to me.
    Thanks all the same, but I don't need advice on boots in general, as I've probably clocked up enough miles to take me to the moon and back, its just the Rogue boots I'm interested in.

2. Friends of mine came over from SA a few years back with something that looked very similar. They were fine for dossing about but were no good for anything strenuous over here. Designed very much for warmer climes and different terrain.
  3. sorry they look like gay!!!!!!!!!!!!
  4. I had a rogue boot once, it went completely off the rails. It all started when it experimented with soft drugs, this led it on the slippery slope to hard drugs and sadly an addiction to crack which it turned to crime in order to afford. The other boot would have nothing to do with it and they eventually refused to work together so I had replace them with a pair of Danners which, thankfully, show no interest in drugs.........
  5. They will look even more gay when I team them up with some overly tight nutcracker shorts. Whats your point?
  6. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

They look remarkably similar to the soft leather tracking boots in SA marketed as "Selous" in Shooting times a few years back!
  7. Were they any good Ugly? You're an experienced hunter, do they look like something you might try for mincing about in hot/dry conditions sans bergan?
  8. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

Having been brought up in SA and going back there once a year you'd be far better off with regard to quality in going to Blacks/Millets etc and buying something here.

If you're going to wear something in hot weather for a month or so then throw them away after the trip SA stuff will be fine, but if you intend keeping them and looking after them they'll just fall apart.

If you want a very good lightweight boot the old SADF 32 Bttn boot was the best I've seen, leather "frame" with canvas insert similar to the American jungle boot - but with a soft built up sole like a trainer sole - have no idea where you could get them though - I'd buy a couple of pairs if I knew!
  9. I'm not familiar with the model shown, however I acquired a 'dessy wellie stylee' model from a SA colleague. That was 4 years ago and they are still going strong.

I cannot comment on their field durability as they have been tested merely on the 'mountainous' trails between Albert Embankment and Docklands, with less a month or so in Western Sahara 'field wear'.

I found my Rogue model to be very well put together, good calibre stitching, comfy as fcuk and they have 'worn' extremely well. I was a Clarke's dessy wellie boy in my time and these have become for me the natural successor.
  10. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I saw a PH in eastern Cape wearing something remarkably similar. Hot enough there and although they drive a lot, they are prepared for the long trek. Lets face it even the old DMS dessies would be better than leather combat boots for that heat. Ankle boots, shorts or not tucked in trousers seemed to be de rigeur!
  11. Cheers Bob. I still wear the dessy wellies as part of my standard scruff order, great for the pub or trailing round Tesco, but a bit flimsy for kicking about the bush.
    Incidentally Schaden, the Rogue boots are available in the UK. The chunkier model (top picture) are £82.50 from:-

Anything military is going to be unsuitable on this occasion, but thanks for the tip anyway.
  12. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

selous boots!
    these dont look the same but similar to what was advertised!
  13. Have you considered a pair of Altberg Desert Veldhogs?

They are a bit more expensive at around £140 but I bought a pair before going to Namibia and they are in my view unbeatable. They took very little time to wear in and I had no problems with them at all.

Details here
  14. Good call Oz, Altberg boots are the dogs danglies, they may just be a bit too ally though. I've got to spend some time with a bunch of uber green, touchy-feely, quorn-munching, tree fondlers.
    They'll all be wearing vegan sandals and ethnic hemp shirts. I know the type from past experience, and anything vaguely military tends to spook them.