RoE - An American discussion

tomahawk6 said:
While an interesting topic US ROE's are classified. Feel free to discuss UK ROE's - if OPSEC permits.
classified worldwide on foreign/non US boards?

Nehustan

On ROPS
On ROPs
smallbrownprivates said:
tomahawk6 said:
While an interesting topic US ROE's are classified. Feel free to discuss UK ROE's - if OPSEC permits.
classified worldwide on foreign/non US boards?
Yes goddam it, do what you're told... :meditate:

Rules of Engagement are classified secret. I dont know if that is the case in the UK. I suppose it would be an advantage to the enemy to know what your rules of engagement are. For example if the rules stated you cant fire on civilians then the enemy could hide amongst civilians and fire at you with impunity.

tomahawk6 said:
Rules of Engagement are classified secret. I dont know if that is the case in the UK. I suppose it would be an advantage to the enemy to know what your rules of engagement are. For example if the rules stated you cant fire on civilians then the enemy could hide amongst civilians and fire at you with impunity.
Knob. Have you septics ever heard of the Geneva Convention. Probably not.

Oh by the way the UK ROE clearly states:
"If Cherie hears, you be fcuked" simple.

"It also states that we can not shoot Taliban fighter pilots who have bailed out"

tomahawk6 said:
While an interesting topic US ROE's are classified. Feel free to discuss UK ROE's - if OPSEC permits (and don't forget to salute US warrant officers while you are at it )
:yawnstretch:

Nehustan

On ROPS
On ROPs
I think anti-personnel mines are a horrendous idea, I've always found people from Human Resources very helpful...

tomahawk6 said:
What? A quick Google reveals a lot of info. Freedom of speech isn't that good at hiding such info if you look in the right place!

frenchie said:
tomahawk6 said:
What? A quick Google reveals a lot of info. Freedom of speech isn't that good at hiding such info if you look in the right place!
You're kidding right ? I know of instances where the troops went for their ROE brief and the SJA couldnt tell the troops the ROE because it was "secret". Thats extreme I know and kind of funny.

so help me god i know i'm walking head on into a wah right now, and for your sake i hope i am, but WHAT THE FCUK are you gibbering on about you muppet?! what kind of cowboy outfit doesn't tell it's troops the ROE for operations in briefings? sounds like a Neu Arbeit policy somewhat equivalent to a get out of jail free card....

EDIT- Then i read your post again and realise ROE brief. i can just see it now... "yeah, right lads, erm, ummm, right, well heres the crack, yeah? i, i can't tell you your ROE's cause, well, it's kinda secret..... sorry to have wasted your time chaps...."

It's an interesting article - but to my eyes all it does is illustrate why the US are doomed to fail in their current overseas campaigns. The centre of gravity is not the kinetic arena, we're not fighting 3 Shock Army any more. There is no well defined mass of fighters whose destruction signals an end to conflict.

Instead we have a hugely complex mass of different ethnic, religious and tribal groups whose attitude varies day to day - indeed, the schwerpunkt is those attitudes. The enemy understand this, that is why they continue to prosper despite all our efforts.

If we kill one insurgent and recruit another as a result we can never win.

If we kill one insurgent and recruit more than one as a result we must surely lose.

And what's one of the biggest drivers to recruiting for our enemies ? Getting your nearest and dearest shot by accident as part of "robust force protection" measures.

It's also why the US are considered cowards by those whose countries they occupy. The locals look at some terminator like soldier in a helmet, shades, flak jacket, clutching a rifle and sitting in a "tank" (*) who would rather shoot innocent civvies by accident than expose themselves to risk and draw their own conclusions. It also makes it difficult to convince them that the US is there to help and protect them as clearly the US is unwilling to risk US lives to protect Iraqi civilians. It then leaves the enemy a clear opening to claim that their casualties died standing between the people and the Crusaders. In cultures that venerate martyrs this is a powerful tool.

(*) Hey, they're civvies, right ? The haven't done the AFV recognition course.

tomahawk6 said:
That is a standard Geneva Convention Article, nobody is allowed to shoot at civillians, they are non combatants. It is also a crime to hide amongst them.