Rodneys = High Jinks

E

error_unknown

I accept that Officers don't get off scotfree, but agree with Fadgafs sentiment.

Woopert, Banjo, Trotsky and Bowman make good points for both aruguments.

Ford Prefect, "should have tried harder at school" comments don't just make people like me cringe. Officers who made valid posts on this subject will read your comments and think "what a d*ck".

I ask that this thread gets moved in to the NAAFI bar where you can continue to attempt to cement your electronic hard man status.

I think some of the points about Offrs getting a soft deal are valid.....in the past but times are changing.  In my old Bn 3 - 4 years ago, after a Boxing Night a group of Capts, Lts and 2Lts decided to go to Stringfellows in Mess Kit, to cut a long story short they were all formally charged and dealt with summarily by the Brigadier with fines from £600 to £1300, depending on rank, behaviour on the night etc.  These charges went on their records and affected their careers, turned down for SF Selection, delay in Regular Commission etc.  The Comd Offr had charged a number of NCOs a couple of months before for the same offence and they were dealt with much more lightly.

To reply to some of the charges about elitism and social acceptability being necessary to become an Officer.  When I was the RSO one of my guardsmen expressed an interest in becoming an Officer.  he passed RCB and is a senior Capt in the RTR and doing extremely well, and he is the only officer in the RTR with immaculate kit!

fadgaf.45

Old-Salt
bagpuss-ive obviously failed to convey my views,first of all my political views lean somewhere to the right of ghengis khan. secondly i am all for people getting ahead and respect and admire any set of parents that can groom and educate a young man to the point where he is eligble for an institution of sandhursts standing-my point was that a similarly able young man who comes from more humble beginings and ends up joining as an or will, in the vast majority of cases, be punished on a much more demeaning level.as for your tales of rodneys stagging on the gate outstanding-although definately anomilous.i think part of the problem is that as a rodney you get a little defensive when your views are questioned by us tommy atkins cont

fadgaf.45

Old-Salt
my views were born out of rage for one kn0bber rattling on about the trials of essay competition writing-try 2 yrs at chepstow harrogate or arborfield-beasted to death every day and still expected to become a skilled tradesman!!!to the gentleman who posted about rodneys being punished harder than ncos for the night club incident that was because a.it had become a prevalent offense after ncos or b. they got it harder for being retards and doing after guys had already been punished for it -either way ors in same position would have been raped for it

Fadgaf,

The concept of prevalent offences was done away with about 7 years ago.

Fadgaf,

Me too - very old.  I do indeed get your point and many of the eloquent (and some not so) points put across on this thread.  Having seen the system from both sides of the fence, I agree with many views put forward, but too often, individual cases are cited as general policy and I'm afraid that this just is not the case.  Depending on the circumstances, this can be fortuitous or not as the case may be. It is just a fact of life that some people get away with some things, others get caught for lesser crimes - life just is not fair - but I think the concept of lesser punishments being given to officers is perhaps an undeserved perception, they (we) do not get away with it if caught.

fadgaf.45

Old-Salt
you are 100% right about individual situations being taken as policy,[iam guilty of it myself] despite my rantings i would like to say that i have served uinder many officers whose rightful place was commanding me as they were far more adept soldiers-were you an ex ranker then oracle?

Latest Threads