Rockets fired at Camp Bastion in Afghanistan

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by DesktopCommando, Feb 27, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Helmand province base comes under attack, but Ministry of Defence says no casualties reported

Rockets fired at Camp Bastion in Afghanistan | World news | guardian.co.uk

[​IMG]

Insurgents have launched a rocket attack on the main coalition military base in Afghanistan's Helmand province.

The heavily fortified Camp Bastion, which accommodates up to 4,000 UK, American, Danish and Estonian troops, was targeted at about 6.30pm local time as darkness fell.

Damage was caused but a spokesman for Taskforce Helmand said no one had been injured or killed.

A Ministry of Defence spokesman said: "We can confirm that a rocket attack against Camp Bastion took place. No significant damage or casualties have been reported as a result of this incident."

Multiple explosions could be heard minutes after an alarm sounded inside the sprawling desert base.The all-clear came 40 minutes later after which troops were directed to search their immediate area for unexploded ordnance and casualties.

This latest attack comes as UK forces prepare to hand over to the next deploying brigade.

Last September, two US Marines were killed and six Harrier jets destroyed when militants breached the perimeter fence and attacked Camp Leatherneck, the US headquarters next to Camp Bastion.

The Taliban said Prince Harry, who was in theatre as an Apache helicopter pilot at the time, was the intended target but Nato officials said the young royal was never in any danger.

2. Isn't that fairly normal?

3. Well, considering KAF gets stonked on a daily basis, and has been for years, it was only a matter of time before they got round to BSN.

4. Wasn't when I was in theatre. Attacking Bastion is a bit suicidal if you can't do it from a very long way away.

5. Not in Bastion....happens all the time in KAF, although saying that its been fairly quiet for about 3 weeks or so.

6. Interesting to see that the Guardian thinks that it was Leatherneck that was attacked last time out - how about that for professional journalism?

I fear there'll be a few more attacks on BSN as the redeployment tramps up.

7. Royal Signals Corps Dinner Night 2009 (Kandahar variant). Rocket lands nearby, alarms start going off. Sat under the GS table with tinfoil mess silver on top, drinking alcohol free wine, swearing that I'll never complain about a Regtl dinner ever again...

8. The environment around KAF makes it easy to mount stand off and other attacks - the opposite is true of BSN, which is why it is where it is.

9. If they piss about with Prince Albert's tucker time, they will be in big trub.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Indeed that is so.

11. What they need is special forces to defend the base.

This sort of thing never happens at KAF which is defended by the RAF's Short Range Desert Group........

12. Not now its not....and not for some time.

13. Was well late for scoff tonight! Bastards!!!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Watch the frequency of attacks increase during 2014 as the Pashtun culture will mean they have to be seen to drive NATO out rather than sitting it out and letting events take their course.

As an aside, I never had you pegged as a scaley officer; judging by your various rants about the shortcomings of the TA, looking ally in an MTP smock etc, I thought you were in something a bit punchier. Never mind, I'm sure you do a good job...