Rockapes in the news

Apparently it was really dangerous at KAF before the Reg turned up and fixed things pronto.

I am surprised that the lads aren't talking about being under valued. Soldiers certainly do - I would have thought Rock Apes would have similar concerns.

wehappyfew said:
Apparently it was really dangerous at KAF before the Reg turned up and fixed things pronto.
Perhaps it is because the RAF Regt do what the Army cannot? Dicuss.

Infiltrator said:
Perhaps it is because the RAF Regt do what the Army cannot? Discuss.
And what would that be precisely, crochet?

Can't speak for KAF but they do a good job protecting the EFI and Echos here at the COB going by the amount of vehicles they have parked outside it!!

Whatever they feel, I don't think i'd own up to feeling undervalued to a journo tho!! The only thing i'd trust less than a journo is a politician!!!!

Infiltrator,

Bit of a bone statement. Clearly most Infantry Bns could stag on the perimeter at KAF but are a bit busy doing other tasks. I am not convinced that the RAF Regt fd sqns could do what the Inf BGs have been doing on HERRICK or TELIC - happy to hear your views. Then again we all have different jobs to do, and your involves stagging on a FOB and keeping it safe. Someone needs to do the job and you guys are doing it. My view was actually linked to the Flt Lt in the article making out that this was a hugely demanding job and talking about why he chooses not to go patrolling in a tank.

One sometimes overlooked role of British forces in Afghanistan is the job being done by the RAF Regiment in guarding Kandahar Airfield.
Can't imagine why. You'd think there was something else happening in AFG on a daily basis, or something.

wehappyfew said:
Infiltrator,

Bit of a bone statement. Clearly most Infantry Bns could stag on the perimeter at KAF but are a bit busy doing other tasks. I am not convinced that the RAF Regt fd sqns could do what the Inf BGs have been doing on HERRICK or TELIC - happy to hear your views. Then again we all have different jobs to do, and your involves stagging on a FOB and keeping it safe. Someone needs to do the job and you guys are doing it. My view was actually linked to the Flt Lt in the article making out that this was a hugely demanding job and talking about why he chooses not to go patrolling in a tank.
To be fair, I wasn't really making the comparison. I personally feel that the Regt are somewhat outdated now. To listen to II sqn, you would think that they parachute in to take airfields on a regular basis.

I think that if truth be told, the Regt could go. It could then be be replaced with regular army units....perhaps on a rolling basis. The question is...do the army really want the job?

Flt Lt Joe Duhan said:
We carry on doing our job where and when we have to
Cracking statement that. What a novel idea - actually doing the job you are paid to do. Is this a first for the RAF?

Infiltrator said:
wehappyfew said:
Infiltrator,

To be fair, I wasn't really making the comparison. I personally feel that the Regt are somewhat outdated now. To listen to II sqn, you would think that they parachute in to take airfields on a regular basis.

Fair point Inflitrator and apologies if it came across as an attack on RAF Regt. I think you are right, there would not be a mad rush on from the Army if the FOB/DOB task fell their way. Can't really blame those in that particuilar fd sqn for wanting to make their life more interesting. I stand corrected.

I think that if truth be told, the Regt could go. It could then be be replaced with regular army units....perhaps on a rolling basis. The question is...do the army really want the job?

wehappyfew said:
Infiltrator,

I have to disagree with you here.The RAF Regt is highly valued within certain circles for the versatility and quality of the troops they produce.Certainly if wings of Regiment were deployed in they would require the same build up training that BG's go through prior to deployment,but that goes for any unit.Also they would need the kit to do the relevant job,but thats obvious.To say they could not do the job is a nonsence,they are certainly trained at least to the same standards as their inf brethren.Likewise the inf could do the "stagging on" as you put it,there isnt much UK troops cant do when properly supported.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Infiltrator said:
wehappyfew said:
Biggus Dicuss?

AlienFTM said:
Infiltrator said:
wehappyfew said:
Biggus Dicuss?
nice.

Me - infantry, or was, but I always liked the 'Rocks'.

If they get good PR good on 'em.

Don't reckon it is a high priority in the Army to knock or snipe at the 'Rocks', because believe or not they are on our side and they hate RAF Movers as much as we do!

I am not convinced that the RAF Regt fd sqns could do what the Inf BGs have been doing on HERRICK or TELIC
Well no a Fd Sqn is 120 men!Put 4 Fd Sqns together give them the same pre deployment training and im sure they'd do just as good a job as an inf batt.

G

Green_Garfield

Would the army think more more of the RAF Regt if they were used as Infantry companys?

I mean like if when a battle group deployed and they needed more manpower and they took a RAF Regt sqn to up the numbers?

because the rocks are trained Infantary so there is no reason they couldn't support Infantary regts.

just wondered what anybody thought of that idea

R

really?_fascinating

Putting four field Sqns together would not give you a BG. Where would OpsO, Adjt, RSO, COS etc etc come from? With no experience of working in a BG/ Bde construct they would struggle. Futhermore, no all arms experience at BG level so might struggle to integrate and sp atts. Could easily fit in as a Coy in a BG, but adding up Coys do not equal BG.

Sure they would do a cracking job as part of any BG