Rockabilly / Rock N Roll

B_AND_T

MIA
Book Reviewer
Instead of crayoning over the other thread I thought I would put it here.

old_fat_and_hairy said:
B_AND_T said:
old_fat_and_hairy said:
No.9 said:
old_fat_and_hairy said:
saintstone said:
B_AND_T said:
YesItsMe said:
saintstone said:
B_AND_T said:
Showaddywaddy "A little bit of soap" :oops:
I got "Three steps to heaven" :oops:
I got 'Under the moon of love' (which is definitely worse). :oops:
I have got 5 albums at home. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Hahahahahaha, are you a Teddy Boy walt ??
I had the original 'Three Steps to heaven' by Eddie Cochrane.

But who can forget those great hits of the past,. such as The Ink Spots @youre Breaking My Heart', or Mel Blanc 'I taut I taw a puddy cat' and Teddy Johnson and Donald Peers with 'Belove, be faithful'.
Fair comment till Teddy Johnson and Donald Peers. 8O I mean, come on, Donald ‘kin Peers???? Not even Pearl Carr and Teddy Johnson 8O , and that’s square enough. :roll:

OK, so I did have ‘The Ballad of Davy Crockett’ and ‘Tom Dooley’ bought for me – which I wanted – but I also had ‘Teddy Bear’ by Elvis, so early signs of heading in the right direction. :wink:

First single I bought with my saved-up was ‘Living Doll’ – on an outrageous high-tech 45. :OMG:
First LP was ‘A Picture of You’, on Golden Guinea. 21/- being the most I’d ever spent on a disc at the time – I still recall the agony, 8O still have the LP too :D

No.9
Ah, Pearl Carr and Teddy Johnson. Almost as good as 'The Stagazers'. I likied Dennis Lotis too, and still adore the voice of Matt Munro.

Joe Brown, yes, a good turn, along with his mate Marty Wilde. I used to see them often in 'The Spotted Dog' in Stratford.
Seen both of them on one of those 50's tours. Also had Johnny Leyton on the bill and some female 3 piece thingy, who I believe Marty Wilde married one.

Also seen

Bobby Vee and the original Crickets
Carl Perkins
Del Shannon
Frankie Ford
The Jets
Matchbox
Rocky Sharpe and the Replays
Showaddywaddy

And numerous other Rock "N" Roll / Rockabilly bands.

Also had tickets to see Billy Fury and Bill Haley but the miserable fcukers decided to die before the event.

Cnuts.
I believe Marty Wilde married a Vernon Girl. Used to be a good act, to us teenagers.
I saw Billy Fury at Newcastle City hall when he was around. His soneg 'I want to be your lover' was an anthem to us poor virginal lads.

Carl Perkins was the original singer of 'Blue Suede Shoes' and a founder at Sun Records.

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Good thought,. It was getting a bit big

B_AND_T

MIA
Book Reviewer
B_AND_T said:
No.9 said:
Yeah, seemed like all the R'n'R 'names' were/played north of the river. :( Stacks of Trad Jazz and R'n'R local heroes on the south side - unless you count Sounds Incorporated and Wee Willie Harris, who lived a few streets away from us? Tooting Granada was probably the best bet round here for seeing showcases - saw Joe Brown, Susan Maughn :tongue: and Gene Vincent there, only about 3/6 to get in 8O :D
Forgot about them, seen them as well. My memory is gradually coming back have also seen The Searchers, Jerry and the Pacemakers, Marmalade and Sleepy LaBeef.

B_AND_T - "Also had tickets to see Billy Fury and Bill Haley but the miserable fcukers decided to die before the event."

Well intercourse my a'ged footware, that must have been some advance purchase - Haley died in 81 and Fury in 83. 8O

I saw Haley and the Comets in 72, outstanding :boogie:

No.9

B_AND_T

MIA
Book Reviewer
No.9 said:
B_AND_T - "Also had tickets to see Billy Fury and Bill Haley but the miserable fcukers decided to die before the event."

Well intercourse my a'ged footware, that must have been some advance purchase - Haley died in 81 and Fury in 83. 8O

No.9
Tickets to see Haley in Slough
Tickets to see Fury in Bournemouth

I am a firm believer that Fury was 100 x better than Richards but was always under rated.

No.9 said:

No.9
I was 6 in 1972.....

B_AND_T

MIA
Book Reviewer
LancePrivateJones said:
Two words.......

Stray Cats

Brilliant.
Now your talking!

B_AND_T

MIA
Book Reviewer
I have got both Albums. Absolute class both of them. It's the first time an electric guitar has been used with a big band.

Do you know if they will be touring?

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
B_AND_T said:
No.9 said:

No.9

I am a firm believer that Fury was 100 x better than Richards but was always under rated.
Fury was a very good singer, a great performer, shame his heart wasn't in it!

B_AND_T said:
I have got both Albums. Absolute class both of them. It's the first time an electric guitar has been used with a big band.

Do you know if they will be touring?
Not at the moment but I will look into it and let you know.
Brian is the best guitarist there is for my money.

B_AND_T

MIA
Book Reviewer
old_fat_and_hairy said:
B_AND_T said:
No.9 said:

No.9

Cutting OFAH, very cutting. :D

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
B_AND_T said:
old_fat_and_hairy said:
B_AND_T said:
No.9 said:

No.9

Cutting OFAH, very cutting. :D
Ithangyow! I'm here all week.

But I do think he was very good indeed, as was Craig Douglas and Emile Ford.

No.9 said:
Gracie - "I was 6 in 1972....."

Whatever your mother says, nothing to do with me :roll:

No.9
Well you neednt think Im supporting you in your dotage...... you will be straight into a home for the bewildered.....

B_AND_T - "I am a firm believer that Fury was 100 x better than Richards but was always under rated."

Well I always thought the Searchers better than the Beatles 8O . Have to disagree about Cliff though, and neither Elvis alternates as iconic as Kidd.

Ironically Fury's backing had the better drummer (till Bennett anyway), and the Searchers' was infinitely better than the Beatles. :wink:

No.9

B_AND_T

MIA
Book Reviewer
Never got into the Beatles apart from their very early stuff.