Rock Climbing in the Harz Mountains.

Does anyone know good places to set up Bottom Rope systems in the Harz. Taking a trip down this weekend. Easy to intermediate routes would be a bonus.

I spent a lot of time walking the Harz mountains, but never rope-climbed on any. So no real use I'm afraid

There are some reasonable climbs in the upper Oker valley , not far from Claustal Zelerfield, but nothing like in Bavaria, did some climbing there back in the 70s at weekends

The-Lord-Flasheart said:
smudge67 said:
I like the sound of my own keyboard and will post 'clever little witty dits' for no reason whatsoever....

tropper66 said:
I've got a couple of black cats and they're blacker than yours. I keep them in my two sheds.....

:roll:
Dont like cats, but I used to go out with a bird from Braunlage, when I was in Wolfenbuttle, and skiing at Torfhaus on Sports afternoons in winter
, climbing in the summer

I love it when you bite

Alsacien

MIA
actionman76 said:
Does anyone know good places to set up Bottom Rope systems in the Harz. Taking a trip down this weekend. Easy to intermediate routes would be a bonus.
I knew the Harz well, but never climbed there.
Suggest you check the DAV (Deutsche Alpine Vereine) website and get the local group contact. (DAV is worth joining BTW). The groups are usually very happy to help out visiting climbers - if you are a member of another mountaineering or climbing org that would help open even more doors.

Back in the day the Army had an outward bound centre a Silberhutte

Alsacien

MIA
tropper66 said:
Back in the day the Army had an outward bound centre a Silberhutte
...and the Russkis were sat on two thirds of the Harz, in fact I was part of the observation team watching them pack up and leave - maybe the current situation has somewhat changed though... :)

smudge67 said:
The-Lord-Flasheart said:
tropper66 said:
I love it when you bite
I'll love it when you die. Not long to go now?.
no chance of you dying, well, on an op tour anyhow. War dodger
You seem to be rather interested in my career, smudge. Its the second time you've mentioned it. I dont tend to die on op tours because I'm usually strapped to a magnificent death dealing machine from the air as opposed to sat back in an aircon'd corrimec checking the cleanliness of peoples rifle cleaning kits. Guess as an Armourer, you'd not understand....or as a civvy :wink:

The-Lord-Flasheart said:
smudge67 said:
The-Lord-Flasheart said:
tropper66 said:
I love it when you bite
I'll love it when you die. Not long to go now?.
no chance of you dying, well, on an op tour anyhow. War dodger
You seem to be rather interested in my career, smudge. Its the second time you've mentioned it. I dont tend to die on op tours because I'm usually strapped to a magnificent death dealing machine from the air as opposed to sat back in an aircon'd corrimec checking the cleanliness of peoples rifle cleaning kits. Guess as an Armourer, you'd not understand....or as a civvy :wink:
damn, you have my operational experience all sewn up :)

The Army has two lodges in the Harz at Sonnenberg and Torfhaus, the permanent staff at these lodges will probably be able to provide the best advice on local climbing sites that exist in this century :wink:

Contact ATG(G) for advice on who to speak to, the Courses Clerk number is: 0049(0)5254 982 2918

smudge67 said:
Lame reply, smudge. Youre not very good when you've been given a solo auth. Best wait til your 'master' gets back to help you out with the cutting follow up....

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
The-Lord-Flasheart said:
tropper66 said:
I love it when you bite
I'll love it when you die. Not long to go now? I have a tenner on you throwing a 7 before Auld Yin.
Love to take you up on that Flashy but it would be hard to collect if I won :D

p,s, Christ you are becoming a boring old fart Flashy with only one subject. Welcome to the club :twisted:

The-Lord-Flasheart said:
smudge67 said:
Lame reply, smudge. Youre not very good when you've been given a solo auth. Best wait til your 'master' gets back to help you out with the cutting follow up....
I'm on my iPhone, and can't be arrsed. Either way, your tour of NI after the troubles doesn't really count as dealing death from the air does it?

At least I've been out on the ground.

Daddy Flash what did you do during the war?

Well son, I saw alot in the news

Even your old mates think you're a war dodging gob shite