Rock Climbing in the Harz Mountains.

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by actionman76, May 31, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anyone know good places to set up Bottom Rope systems in the Harz. Taking a trip down this weekend. Easy to intermediate routes would be a bonus.
  2. I spent a lot of time walking the Harz mountains, but never rope-climbed on any. So no real use I'm afraid
  3. There are some reasonable climbs in the upper Oker valley , not far from Claustal Zelerfield, but nothing like in Bavaria, did some climbing there back in the 70s at weekends

4. :roll:
  5. Dont like cats, but I used to go out with a bird from Braunlage, when I was in Wolfenbuttle, and skiing at Torfhaus on Sports afternoons in winter
    , climbing in the summer

Not exactly helping the thread starter are you, Tommy?
  7. I love it when you bite
  8. I'll love it when you die. Not long to go now? I have a tenner on you throwing a 7 before Auld Yin.
  9. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

I knew the Harz well, but never climbed there.
    Suggest you check the DAV (Deutsche Alpine Vereine) website and get the local group contact. (DAV is worth joining BTW). The groups are usually very happy to help out visiting climbers - if you are a member of another mountaineering or climbing org that would help open even more doors.
  10. Who's running the book on that?
  11. Back in the day the Army had an outward bound centre a Silberhutte
  12. ....Which is useful if actionman76 has a time machine in his kit. Doddering old dribbler.
  13. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

...and the Russkis were sat on two thirds of the Harz, in fact I was part of the observation team watching them pack up and leave - maybe the current situation has somewhat changed though... :)
  14. no chance of you dying, well, on an op tour anyhow. War dodger
  15. You seem to be rather interested in my career, smudge. Its the second time you've mentioned it. I dont tend to die on op tours because I'm usually strapped to a magnificent death dealing machine from the air as opposed to sat back in an aircon'd corrimec checking the cleanliness of peoples rifle cleaning kits. Guess as an Armourer, you'd not understand....or as a civvy :wink: