• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Robots ready to support soldiers on the battlefield

When these units are eventually fielded, there will always be a human in the loop to make the tough decisions." Byers adds: "There will always be a soldier involved, at least part-time."
Well that's the future of the TA secured! :D

Did we not learn anything from the terminator films? SKYNET!!!!!! Do you really want a few thousand Arnold Schwarzennegger look a likes roaming the earth? I think not...

On a serious not though I do not think humans will ever be fully replaced by machines...its just not cricket is it? and it would be too expensive (so expect lots from the septics).

I heard that when the Yanks deployed the SWORDS drone in Iraq, one of the things the insurgents hit upon was paying a local kid $10 to run out and chuck a blanket over the robot's camera, and then an older guy would run up close and destroy it with a grenade, leaving the operator the choice of a) turning the gun on a kid, and thus prompting 'Evil Yanks Massacre Children with Terminator-style robots' headlines or b) losing the robot, whereas an infantryman could just give the kid a clip round the earhole and send him on his way...

Feckers must have stolen the idea from the 'Mule' in Ghost Recon Advanced War Fighter on the Play Station 8)

[align=center]

Check out the walking version of the U.S. Military:

Big Dog

I reckon them 'Mule' style cargo carriers are going to be far more useful than independant armed robots, we should be looking at using robots to enhance rather than replace the infantryman, them armed robots would be more useful for like a Fire Support group role, like a mini-WMIK carrying a .50-cal or to carry ammo or evacuate casualties (couldn't you have like an armoured pod you could put a casualty in and extract him to the medics under fire) rather than patrolling on foot amongst the local population...

How about a new Robot Wars series? Where the robots actually do go to war.

BBC2 7:00pm
Craig Charles presents a new series of Robot Wars. This week - Sir Killalot takes on the Taliban.

That'd be a good one-get the ten best teams from Robot Wars, give them a £1million budget that they can spend at their discretion, then get an MoD-managed team with a £100million to spend under civil service rules, and see who comes up with the best robot...my moneys on the non-bureaucratised enthusiasts...

Bradstyley said:
That'd be a good one-get the ten best teams from Robot Wars, give them a £1million budget that they can spend at their discretion, then get an MoD-managed team with a £100million to spend under civil service rules, and see who comes up with the best robot...my moneys on the non-bureaucratised enthusiasts...
What about a RW fan who ended up bureaucratised (Christ it just took me ages to spell that... and I was copying it from above! I need a kip) but still has that childlike enthusiasm?

Seriously, when that IPT gets formed I'm applying.

As for the evacuation pod idea, I think that's pure genius. Also should be quite a simple development in comparison. All it needs is GPS to get it home, the usual gubbins for not running kids over in the street, comfy suspension, a bit of room and enough power to flee like buggery back to base before the casualty bleeds out. When not in use (hopefully all the time) you can load it up with supplies and it follows you around.

Downside: letting it bugger off alone makes it a target, and an undefended one at that. And if it breaks down, the guy's in all sorts of shit.

Major R F "Henry" Hall MC said:
You can’t kill a Tiger tank when it is moving unless you are extraordinarily lucky. First you have to stop it and the easiest way to do that is to interfere with the tracks being the least armoured part of the vehicle. The only weapon we had was a PIAT anti-tank weapon which was quite effective but which certainly would not pierce a Tiger tank’s armour but if you aimed it at the tracks, nine times out of ten it would break the track and thus stop the tank. Or you could stuff something into the track, something like and angle iron or a piece of metal or tree trunks, something pretty hefty which would break the track and stop the tank.
You have to get fairly close to the tank but tank guns are always designed to fire almost horizontally with very little depression so you are completely safe as any shots will simply go over your head.
The conditions inside the tank also have to be considered. There were probably four or five people inside, it was very hot, sweaty and stank of hot oil, cordite, urine and of course they could only see out through visors and that is why ninety nine times out of a hundred the lid of the tank would be open and very often the tank commander would be looking out.
So the crew are not in a very happy state of mind. Having stopped the tank you then leapt on to it, covered up any visors with mud, cloth or anything else which did the job. If you were lucky enough to find the top open you could throw a couple of grenades inside and then shut the top and that was the end of that or you could place a charge on the lid (we used to carry charges similar to Lewes bombs for use on tanks) or on the engine cover (where the armour was thin) or on the back of the tank and it would set the tank on fire. It was easier than it sounds, providing you had the guts and the courage and the training to do it.
If you can do that you can kill this.

Trans-sane

LE
Book Reviewer
BrunoNoMedals said:
Bradstyley said:
What about a RW fan who ended up bureaucratised (Christ it just took me ages to spell that... and I was copying it from above! I need a kip) but still has that childlike enthusiasm?

Seriously, when that IPT gets formed I'm applying.

As for the evacuation pod idea, I think that's pure genius. Also should be quite a simple development in comparison. All it needs is GPS to get it home, the usual gubbins for not running kids over in the street, comfy suspension, a bit of room and enough power to flee like buggery back to base before the casualty bleeds out. When not in use (hopefully all the time) you can load it up with supplies and it follows you around.

Downside: letting it bugger off alone makes it a target, and an undefended one at that. And if it breaks down, the guy's in all sorts of s***.
Then again if thr guy needs a cas evac under fire and regualr methods aren't available/going to work the guy is in the sh1t if it don't break down...

If it is designed and built as a short range cargo hauler I think it would do the job very well. Say it hauls ammo re-supply from the FSG to the "front line" (their has been a lot of debate about this term) and then hauls wounded back to the FSG and the medics.

Yeah, I'd think that evacuation-pod thing would be best used as a company-level asset, for extracting guys over quite short distances, say you had a section pinned down in a building or rocky outcropping a couple of hundred yards from the rest of the company, the robot 'St Bernards' could zip over, the section under fire who could put their wounded mate in the pod, and the robot could zoom back across the enemies' beaten zone to Coy HQ, who could then call in a heli to take him back to base? Again, you could use the same thing to carry ammo out to the same section...you could use it in a an SAR role, in conjunction with UAVs and Helos...

Bradstyley said:
Yeah, I'd think that evacuation-pod thing would be best used as a company-level asset, for extracting guys over quite short distances, say you had a section pinned down in a building or rocky outcropping a couple of hundred yards from the rest of the company, the robot 'St Bernards' could zip over, the section under fire who could put their wounded mate in the pod, and the robot could zoom back across the enemies' beaten zone to Coy HQ, who could then call in a heli to take him back to base? Again, you could use the same thing to carry ammo out to the same section...you could use it in a an SAR role, in conjunction with UAVs and Helos...

If the "St Bernard" can negotiate the killing ground without being killed then an IFV could. The IFV would be a lot more use.

If you're an Armoured Inf role bn, in open enough terrain then yeah, certainly! This is a bit more deployable in mountainous terrain then a warrior, you could just helo it into position or it could just follow the lads on a foot patrol-its not a replacement for current systems, merely an enhancement...

Latest Threads