Robot Cannon Kills 9, Wounds 14

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by msr, Oct 18, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. msr

msr LE

We're not used to thinking of them this way. But many advanced military weapons are essentially robotic -- picking targets out automatically, slewing into position, and waiting only for a human to pull the trigger. Most of the time. Once in a while, though, these machines start firing mysteriously on their own. The South African National Defence Force "is probing whether a software glitch led to an antiaircraft cannon malfunction that killed nine soldiers and seriously injured 14 others during a shooting exercise on Friday."

According to The Star, "a female artillery officer risked her life... in a desperate bid " to save members of her battery from the gun."

But the brave, as yet unnamed officer was unable to stop the wildly swinging computerised Swiss/German Oerlikon 35mm MK5 anti-aircraft twin-barrelled gun. It sprayed hundreds of high-explosive 0,5kg 35mm cannon shells around the five-gun firing position.

By the time the gun had emptied its twin 250-round auto-loader magazines, nine soldiers were dead and 11 injured.

2. It's the machines I tell you! '20 seconds to comply'.
  3. Whole new meaning to 'runaway gun'..... 8O
  4. I wonder if this brave female officer had recently been dumped by one of the poor chaps that bought the farm.

Not that I'm being cynical but, "Oops, my finger slipped." can cover a range of sins.
  5. Just wait until the robotic AS90 arrives...
  6. that shouldn't be a problem - all gunners are robots anyway! :lol:
  7. Is this the start of Skynet, come back Arnie all is forgiven
  8. I once had an LMG run away on me and that was quite bad enough. A heavy hi-tech bit of ordnance such as this is in a different league completly. Well done that lady Rupert.

SLR (Not to be confused with SLR Boy)
  9. Or an uprated ZSU 23/4 .......mayhem....
  10. msr

msr LE