• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Robo Investing

Got about £5k I want to put away for a medium to long term (ie 2-10 years), and looking about there's absolutely hardly anything that gives me much more than inflation.

I'm not going to be out on the street if I lose this cash so am willing to go slightly risky in the hope that this might make it worthwhile rather than sitting it in a normal cash ISA.

Been looking about and am quite intrigued by the "Robo Investors" ie nutmeg, moneyfarm, wealthify, mainly due to their low barriers to entry (Wealthify can start with just £1), plus the ability once I have confidence in it, to put more in (or take some out should I lose confidence).

They're all much of a muchness with regards to returns published (some have performed better than others, naturally), so I guess my questions are - Why shouldn't I have a dabble? - does anyone else use any of these Robo Investors? - and yes I know I could lose my shirt if the stock market crashes.

Any experiences, good or bad?

Don’t know too much about the Robo-investments but as an alternative, you could look at some of the funds available on Hargreaves Lansdowne.

Looks like you’ve already done your homework and are looking for affirmation.

If you aren’t that sure about the investments, possibly start with a few hundred to dip your toes then follow from there.

After the 2008 crash, markets are better governed so your money is probably a little safer (not safe though), I’m a medium risk investor usually returning between 8%-12% a year, but then I also lost a substantial amount one year.

As for the products you mentioned, sorry not a clue.

If its £ you don't need to access in the foreseeable future, stick it into a Stocks & Shares ISA and leave it.

I like Midcaps, FWIW.

Been looking about and am quite intrigued by the "Robo Investors" ie nutmeg, moneyfarm, wealthify, mainly due to their low barriers to entry (Wealthify can start with just £1), plus the ability once I have confidence in it, to put more in (or take some out should I lose confidence).
The fees look higher than my financial adviser charges me for similar investments. You might try out a couple of your local FAs and see if they don't offer a similar range of investments for a lower price. If you are invested in sensible funds and don't need the money immediately all you do after a crash is sit and wait, you get your money back when the markets bounce back. There are also funds that don't rely on the stock market, the returns are lower but they are more stable. A good FA will explain this all to you in simple words and point you at the right balance of investments for what you want. Part of my pension is in a largely non equities based portfolio of about 20 different funds, then I have some 'play' money I can afford to take a few more risks with in a largely equity based ISA.

Just stick in SXX, wait 3 years and reap the rewards (obviously an opinion and not financial advice).

Do your homework though, of course.
If "SXX" means shares, three years is far too short a timeline.

It’s a minerals/mining company that doesn’t have particularly meteoric growth.
That'll be Sirius Minerals, a potash mine in Yorkshire.

I'd sit in cash for a bit personally. Developed markets are looking kind of expensive at the moment, while emerging markets (that are at average valuations historically) are in a bear market and look to have further to drop while Trump sticks the knife in to China. In the UK the market is more reasonably priced but factor in Brexit. Maybe leave it until 29 March 2019?

There is that phrase that time in the market is more important that timing the market, but not if you buy at historical highs.

'Low costs are forever'. HL has Core Trackers which are their preferred low-cost option, and are worth a look.

If I’m looking around for things that are relatively low risk but have plenty of near term upside, Sterling catches my eye.

Lots of fondamentals pointing to it being undervalued and lots of respected commentators suggesting we should see Cable at 1.5 this year. The downside risk is obviously Brexit.

A CFD over Cable would attract me. Not risking anything like the OPs entire funds. Buy at the right price and all that.

If I’m looking around for things that are relatively low risk but have plenty of near term upside, Sterling catches my eye.

Lots of fondamentals pointing to it being undervalued and lots of respected commentators suggesting we should see Cable at 1.5 this year. The downside risk is obviously Brexit.

A CFD over Cable would attract me. Not risking anything like the OPs entire funds. Buy at the right price and all that.
WTH is a Cable?

If it’s a punt, I would stick it into a USD managed S&P fund
Even if the stocks are static ((they aren’t) you will gain by the GBP falling

Pound / US$ foreign exchange pair. So called because it used to be traded transatlantic by telegraph.
Also because it was the first trans ocean electronic transfer. How about the Loonie?

From th
Got about £5k I want to put away for a medium to long term (ie 2-10 years), and looking about there's absolutely hardly anything that gives me much more than inflation.

I'm not going to be out on the street if I lose this cash so am willing to go slightly risky in the hope that this might make it worthwhile rather than sitting it in a normal cash ISA.

They're all much of a muchness with regards to returns published (some have performed better than others, naturally), so I guess my questions are - Why shouldn't I have a dabble? - does anyone else use any of these Robo Investors? - and yes I know I could lose my shirt if the stock market crashes.

Any experiences, good or bad?
From their site quote 19% PCM on average?. Pull the other one, they only want to tempt you to invest more with them. Raw stocks I cannot recommend any, Forex is dodgy with such a small sum but can pay quite well if you know how to manage risk. Deffo do not touch Futures or Options. This leaves 5 year bonds. You can ask somebody with a record in Futures trading but they might want a healthy commission. Alternatively there is a bull market in Cryptocurrencies for suicide purposes. PM me if you want to chat.

From th

From their site quote 19% PCM on average?. Pull the other one, they only want to tempt you to invest more with them. Raw stocks I cannot recommend any, Forex is dodgy with such a small sum but can pay quite well if you know how to manage risk. Deffo do not touch Futures or Options. This leaves 5 year bonds. You can ask somebody with a record in Futures trading but they might want a healthy commission. Alternatively there is a bull market in Cryptocurrencies for suicide purposes. PM me if you want to chat.
I've thrown a grand in there as a tester, not earth shattering and i'm not going to cry about it if I get my fingers burned.

If I get more confident I'll maybe drop a little more in.