Robin Gibb and 'The Soldiers'

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by marco_poloroid, Oct 17, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just seen the news item publicising the new single "Just Gotta Get A Message To You" in aid of the Poppy Appeal. Normally I would agree with my 10 year old son that "Those soldier singers are embarrassing dad!" However, in this instance I am prepared to forgive them. The song is brilliant; Robin Gibb is well known for his support of the Armed Forces, as well as being a brilliant songwriter and musician.

He does look very unwell though. I hope he is on the mend.

2. Gay thread is gay.

3. cheers for that. Were your other 5375 posts equally as informative? Do you offer people out on threads as well?

4. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Is it in tribute to Army Radios through the ages?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Whatever your views if it raises the profile....

6. So sorry, thought I was in the naafi.

I think its a splendid idea and hope it does jolly well for the Soldiers and all the Gibb sisters

• Like Like x 1
  7. ummmm 5378 posts!!!

8. I think it's gash.

9. It is utter shite.

10. Hold on guys, I started a joke... I suppose my 10 year old son's judgement was better than mine!

11. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

I'm sure the anti war and anti squaddie brigade will find some sort of enjoyment out of a song in support of soldiers being about a murderer.

12. I saw it this morning at the arse end of BBC News and have to agree it is shite. Whatever possessed serving soldiers to be associated with a song that has the punch line "one more hour and my life will be through"? Bizarre.
    Oh, and the Bee Gees were and always will be dire.

13. Don't think the original meaning should have too much of a bearing on a subsequent adoption of an otherwise suitable dirge, after all 'Candle in the Wind was originally about a flaky bird who met a tragic death after being thoroughly rogered by a collection of wide boy types.