Robin Gibb and 'The Soldiers'

Just seen the news item publicising the new single "Just Gotta Get A Message To You" in aid of the Poppy Appeal. Normally I would agree with my 10 year old son that "Those soldier singers are embarrassing dad!" However, in this instance I am prepared to forgive them. The song is brilliant; Robin Gibb is well known for his support of the Armed Forces, as well as being a brilliant songwriter and musician.

He does look very unwell though. I hope he is on the mend.

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
I'm sure the anti war and anti squaddie brigade will find some sort of enjoyment out of a song in support of soldiers being about a murderer.

The song is about a man who, awaiting his execution in the electric chair,[who] begs the prison chaplain to pass a final message on to his wife. Robin Gibb, who wrote the lyrics, said that the man's crime was the murder of his wife's lover.

I saw it this morning at the arse end of BBC News and have to agree it is shite. Whatever possessed serving soldiers to be associated with a song that has the punch line "one more hour and my life will be through"? Bizarre.
Oh, and the Bee Gees were and always will be dire.

I'm sure the anti war and anti squaddie brigade will find some sort of enjoyment out of a song in support of soldiers being about a murderer.
Don't think the original meaning should have too much of a bearing on a subsequent adoption of an otherwise suitable dirge, after all 'Candle in the Wind was originally about a flaky bird who met a tragic death after being thoroughly rogered by a collection of wide boy types.