Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Robert W Gore passes away

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Robert W Gore, the inventor of Gore-Tex, has died after a long illness.

I thought it worth mentioning on here, a military forum. His invention was transformational in terms of comfort in the field and has probably been instrumental in saving the lives of a few of those that we know.

Rest easy, sir, and thank you.

And yachtsmen and climbers etc. The epitome of the saying "There's no such thing as bad weather - just bad kit"

I'm just waiting on the news of the passing of Edward Krisp-Packet who invented and supplied our waterproofs throughout the 80's.

How many people will be trying to claim a tenner off Harry Skinters when he pops his clogs?

Oyibo

LE
Robert W Gore, the inventor of Gore-Tex, has died after a long illness.

I thought it worth mentioning on here, a military forum. His invention was transformational in terms of comfort in the field and has probably been instrumental in saving the lives of a few of those that we know.

Rest easy, sir, and thank you.

He used to pop down to Aldershot to ask what soldiers (of Patrols Pls and Pathfinders) really needed. Of course the stout yeomen screwed the nut, and on one occasion told him that Goretex Y-Fronts would really help prevent their extremities getting frostnip (some sniggering may have been heard in the background).

Bless the guy, some Y-Fronts with Goretex front patches duly appeared for trials.

We should also hold a candle lit vigil for the millions of people murdered worldwide by the predecessor Teflon and associated toxic chemicals.
"PTFE is made using an emulsion polymerization process that utilizes the fluorosurfactant PFOA, a persistent environmental contaminant. In 2013, Gore eliminated the use of PFOAs in the manufacture of its weatherproof functional fabrics"

FYI, PTFE is now in all of us and our water and food chain.
I watched a cheery TV doc a few weeks ago on the problem. A massive cover up by all concerned.

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
I'm just waiting on the news of the passing of Edward Krisp-Packet who invented and supplied our waterproofs throughout the 80's.

Surely his first name was Russell?

Nothing wrong with DMS if you put them on the right feet and had the correct size.

Fine in the summer, not so fine in winter in BAOR with those bloody cotton and polyester issue socks, a lot of the lads wore DM's or high leg German calf skin lined, double sole para boots, the grown ups turned a blind eye. I still have my pair, great as biker boots. 1978.

Gortex never worked for me always too hot.
Doing actual exercise mind.
Castelli gabba however is the muts nuts.
Like a very thin breathable wetsuit.
Now I'm too knackered for cycling, the clothing under thin hunting clobber out performs expensive hunting clothing in every way.

Latest Threads