Robert Peston. Why?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Queensman, Jun 21, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. In the words of the immortal Sir Terence Wogan: Is it me?

For the third time recently, I had to turn off The Today Programme whilst listening to it on the way in to work in my motor car today. The moment Robert bloody Pest-on comes on air and starts talking (is it talking?) in that ******* stupid un-joined up way, I have to get shot of him.

I can only assume he is employed by the BBC so they can boast that they are keeping up their quota of biff staff. I'm not able to listen to him long enough to ascertain whether or not he knows what he's talking about. One would have thought, but here I'm prepared to accused of being old fashioned, that to be given a job as a broadcaster/reporter one should at the very least be able to speak correctly.

• Like Like x 10
  2. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Thanks QMan, I thought it was just me!!!

• Like Like x 2
  3. Not just you guys, Robert Peston's radio manner, indeed his very introduction to a programme is an inducement for my finger to hit the "off" button. The man is a boring **** of the Highest order.

• Like Like x 2
  4. HHH

HHH LE

As you say I've no idea if he knows his subject, as I can't listen to him either!

5. There is no-one who loves Robert Peston more than the man himself (and possibly the BBC exec responsible for keeping him on our screens/airwaves). The man is a real pain in the arse and I am with the OP - I never stay to hear what his point is, as he irritates the hell out of me. Up there with John Prescott in my all time hate league.
    One for the death pool.

6. It is not just when he is on the radio, it is just as bad when he is pontificating on the telly too

7. [Chair scrapes backwards as he rises to his feet, the group falls silent]
    Newbie: "My name is, err *cough* stickybomb, and I'm...a...Peston-hater."
    [The dishevelled figure regains his seat with relief, head in hands, clearly shattered by his experience]
    Group: "Well done and welcome to Peston-haters Anonymous"

I am so glad it isn't just me. I couldn't care less about the actual substance of his utterings but h i s s t y l e o f p s e u d o - t h o u g h t f u l d e l i i i i v e r y r e a l l y sucks and he always speedsupwhenhegetstoacomplicatedbitjusttodemonstratehowmuchofajournalisticwünderkindheis.

I have noticed that he only does this when unscripted. All of the rest of his scripted stuff is just delivered with the supercilious air of a man who's ego never really properly deflated after being told that his BBC blog was being read as a primary news source by the whole world in as Northern Rock started to implode a few years ago.

More punchable than Ed Balls, and that's saying something.

• Like Like x 7
  8. How very old fashioned of you.

To get on in broadcasting these days you either have to be a former "stand up comedian" or a brown-nosing, suck-hole with a funny voice and an ego the size of an elephant's chuff.

Pesto was never a stand up comedian, iirc.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Thank **** for that! It isn't just me. I was beginning to think I was becoming unreasonable in my old age.....

Joking aside: He, Peston, really does grip my shit. I can't bear it, I simply can not listen to the twat.

Edited to add: How do we get the chod to have a look at ARRSE?

10. Thank goodness I am not the only one.

I really have tried to understand what he says but his presentation is just too awful to listen to. I switch off the moment I hear his voice.

11. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

Don't worry. He's the kind of bloke who googles his name to see how many hits he gets. he'll find this

• Like Like x 4
  12. Ha! And here it is!! - robert peston - Google Search

13. He has a stammer. Turn off the TV/radio not hard is it?

• Like Like x 1
  14. Good drills.

I am sure he will be along in a minute with a 20 minute explanation

15. They've already altered the way he contributes because of his voice. There were a large number of complaints originally about his speaking style and also how his segments would meander around the topic. They changed it so that he'd in effect be interviewed by one of the main presenters so that he stays on topic and his voice is broken up a bit by the presenter.